Preparing for MOT time

Alex_225

Any tips from people with regard to getting my car MOT'd??

I'm pretty sure that its ok in most areas, all bulbs are working, tyres are fine etc etc.

Only thing I'm wary of is the emissions. Reason being is that it has a Raceland manifold and Powerflow cat back. Is it likely that this would cause it to fail? :(

Also got mine coming up at the end of the month

Only thing i need are tyres.

Ive got a blow in my exhaust somewhere, is this a fail if the emissions are alright or will the blow make it fail on emissions.

Been trying to save for a cat back system cos the exhaust is a bit rusty but looks like ive ran out of time :(

I always think its wise to get it in a good week or two before the last day of the MOT - they usually add on the extra week or two anyway if it passes, so you don't lose out by handing it in early. If you hand it in a bit earlier and something needs to be done, at least you can take it away (assuming its drivable) and sort it out within a week or two rather than being desperate and paying through the nose because you can't take it anywhere legally.

As long as you check the basics, then there isnt many thing you can do to prepare for it really, as long as you think there is nothing wrong that needs doing before its MOT.

3 Of our cars were due this month, 2 have passed fine and im taking the third tomorrow, it should pass, but i need to replace the numper plate bulbs first!

Blast down the motorway on the rev limitter for ten minutes before ;)

Yup, ill be doing that tomorrow :lol:

I know of a freelander diesel that failed by loads on emissions. Took it for some "diagnostics" on the motorway for 10 mins, took it back and passed easily ;)

A lot fo cars are like that, especially if they are mainly used in town. It does them good to get a good blast every now and again!

I didn't know a blow in the exhaust is a fail, this is rubbbbbish, im saving for a custom catback system from longlife and don't habe the funds at the moment, don't wanna pay for a standard system if im just going to change it a few months down the line.

These repair kits for blows and stuff ive seen, would they be anygood in just getting me through the MOT, other than tyres everythings good (i think)

Do electric windows get checked and is it a fail if one doesn't work?

Do electric windows get checked and is it a fail if one doesn't work?

If they do my MOT center have been passing mine for the last couple of years. My drivers hasn't worked since i bought the car.

Alex, the manifold is nothing to worry about, as long as you have a cat you should be fine. My most recent MOT had the raceland and the cat. with no center box either.

I didn't know a blow in the exhaust is a fail, this is rubbbbbish, im saving for a custom catback system from longlife and don't habe the funds at the moment, don't wanna pay for a standard system if im just going to change it a few months down the line.

These repair kits for blows and stuff ive seen, would they be anygood in just getting me through the MOT, other than tyres everythings good (i think)

If you do a good job they can last for a quite a while. It depends where the blow is, but I have seen an exhaust fixed with a cut open coke can, some exhaust gum gum and some jubilee clips and some 'wrap' last for a year or so and go through 2 MOTs.

Bloody hell Alex, I actually feel as though my Lupo is yours' brother or something! Both 2002 silver Sports, both on about 39k miles, both due MOT soon, and both have an engine management light on! Seriously! lol, plus you bought yours around the same time as me, as I had contacted the guy about yours before you bought it!

I had mine checked today when I was getting a sensor replaced and I know for a fact this needs done:

Bracket rewelded to midpipe of exhaust

New break light strip as not working at all so needs replaced

Either problem with handbrake cable or NSF calliper as something is seizing

Air breather filter isnt fitted along with BMC so has the same internal diameter as the piece it goes onto, and some oil has leaked :o

Not cool :(

You could be right there Lauryn, our cars were separated at birth hehe!

Although my engine management light is now off. I hope mnine doesn't have any particular issues. The filter is all ok and there's no blowing from the exhaust etc. Just gotta get it arranged and fingers crossed really.

My mk2 golf Passed first time yesterday!

how good is that for a 23 year old car!

hehe

Will be up forsale next week

goin to santa pod on sat hopefully get some times for the strip using nitrous :D :D

Edited by Gazza