Exhaust?

stevie_wonder

i got pulled by the traffic cops after a saxo with a decat flew by and they thought it was me and decided to fine me for excessive noise but didnt test the db or anything. The exhaust is an aftermarket one but isnt that loud is their anything i can do or should i just grin and bear it and pay the fine?

My exhaust is a 4-2-1 manifold, sports cat and custom cat back but i've been to cruises and never been done for it before what can i do im scared they tell me to remove it. The mods are declared to the insurance so that doesnt bother me its just they said any aftermarket exhaust has been illegal since 1986?????

they just gave me the ink slip wi the fine on it n took photos of my exhaust system

A photo is not evidence.

Write to the Police inspector, and send him a photo copy of the slip, with an explanation of what has happended and point out no DB test was taken.

TBH, it would need to be a loud exhaust to make a case against you, the copper is expecting you will pay it no questions asked.

Dont do that.

thing is im that skint the now after having to pay my excess for a new back window after some wee chav panned it when they were drunk and also got road tax due in 4days and mot due mid september plus other various bits and bobs to pay which isnt a good thing when your a student so its £30 id rather keep

ok law was ammended last year it now states that ANY exhaust that is aftermarket is illegal and from what the cop told me they are legal to sell and fit but they are not legal for road use IF the exhaust makes gases pass through quicker and in turn increase noise pollution. After much argueing they have told me that this is a lenient penalty and they could even impound the car if it is seriously loud. Seems now any modification of the exhaust is illegal

ok law was ammended last year it now states that ANY exhaust that is aftermarket is illegal and from what the cop told me they are legal to sell and fit but they are not legal for road use IF the exhaust makes gases pass through quicker and in turn increase noise pollution. After much argueing they have told me that this is a lenient penalty and they could even impound the car if it is seriously loud. Seems now any modification of the exhaust is illegal

never knew that, ill have a look on the PNLD and see what I can find

rubbish.

rubbish

Seconded.

I have an aftermarket exhaust on my car that is supplied by Lotus themselves. Many other manufacturers offer optional exhausts too (check out the Remus ones for the VXR range for example) and I am pretty sure OEM's are not all breaking the law.

I would not be paying the fine without seeing the law in writing first.

then that would make turbo upgrades a no-no as well as they are part of the exhaust system and they make hte air pass through the exhaust faster etc. however i highly doubt that they could make a law over it . besides how the f*ck would the cops know an aftermarket exhaust unless its a jap-canon

My dad is a policeman and said its a load of twaddle!

That would mean that Kwik Fix and the likes are all breaking the law by supplying aftermarket / non-OEM exhausts. Seems you got some idiot cop on a power trip trying to mug you off!