Lack of Laquer . . .

elliecjno1

The left hand side of my bumper (only area which has it) looks terrible and has peeled, not the colour but the laquer by the seems - all nasty white bubbles and edges where its come off :huh:

Is this something that happens generally or should I listen to my mate when he says its because somebodys taken a power washer to it at cocked up? (In which case I wont karsher it) lol. Looks better after waxing but still not right.

Is there anything I can put on it so it doesnt looks as bad/or get worse? If not, was wondering how expensive it would be for me to have the bumper re-sprayed so I dont have that horrible peely look ha ha :blush:

On the plus side (sorry but im chuffed to bits about this) I bought some red vinyl from halfords and re-did my "I"s on my badges :D very easy, looks so smart and makes a world of difference - no more orange to white fading effect!!!

Edited by elliecjno1

no signs at all, is just the corner which makes me think my mates right in saying someones attacked it with a power hose lol, its just niggling me knowing its there <_< If itd only be about a hundred I'll get the money together in a few weeks and get it re-sprayed.

Edited by elliecjno1

a power hose shouldnt do any damage the painter that works next to me washes the cars after its dry and its never done any damage to them i think this nonsense about pressure washers damaging the cars is a load of rubbish just get it repainted youd need a crazy amount of pressure to flake the paint and kerchers dont offer that sort of power

a power hose shouldnt do any damage the painter that works next to me washes the cars after its dry and its never done any damage to them i think this nonsense about pressure washers damaging the cars is a load of rubbish just get it repainted youd need a crazy amount of pressure to flake the paint and kerchers dont offer that sort of power

Pressure washer can strip paint clean off if it wasnt prepared right, the matey next to you proberly does a good job so never has this problem!

Paint and lacquer are two very very different things so Matt (above) is correct. You dont need to respray at all as the paint is under the lacquer. its clear so not too difficult to re apply, bit of a sand and good attention and your done.

Polishing wont do a great deal as its already started to peel.

Keep us updated on how it goes

thanks for all the help!

will pop into the bloke who has a bodyshop down the road from me at lunch tomorrow to see if he can just re-laquer that bit then :D Its the kind of thing Id like to have a go at myself but dont want to risk messing it up. Sticky red vinyls enough for me for now :blush: lol

If the paint's already in bad nick then it could.

You ever put your hand under a jet washer? It'll slice right through the skin. They are pretty powerful.

Have a go yourself...learn by doing! At the end of the day it needs doing so if you muck it up whats the worse that can happen lol...good luck

yeah do it yourself just make sure you use really fine sandpaper and the paint is smooth before you spray over, apply the laquer in really thin coats because it is so thin if you run it you have to start allover again

you can buy it in a can for a few squid from halfrauds but i always use a compressor and spraygun for better effect

Edited by matt~black

ok, im going to be daring and as youve said, have a go at it myself this weekend - if it stops raining! lol so very fine sandpaper and a can of laquer from halfrauds and il be off :shades:

will post some pics up regardless of whether i pull it off or not ha ha

The jet wash could have made the paint peel but normally its bad prep work when its been painted before.

Sounds to me like it has been painted before as its very uncommon for an original paint job to do that. There could be 2 causes why its done this. The bumper wasnt scotched and keyed up properly or the paint was left too long to dry before the laquer was put on. Its usually that the panel has been keyed properly though.

And ye shouldnt really cost anymore than £100 even in a good bodyshop

Heres some pics I took earlier, looks terrible.

The last pic was taken only say 2ft back from the car after being thoroughly waxed and it doesnt show at all then, give it literally a few hours though and its already starting to creep back :angry:

I would have had a crack at it myself this weekend but typical welsh weather stopped play, even had the intention of doing my calipers but couldnt be bothered in the rain :thumbdown:

DSC00815.jpg

DSC00816.jpg

DSC00817.jpg

DSC00541.jpg

You may find that a machine polish may sort it out, otherwise I'd have thought you'd have to get laquer resprayed!

My ex's Clio 182 started to do this on the front wing, if its not wear and tear wouldn't it be covered by an anti corrosion warranty?

I would have thought that other parts of the bumper would have done the same if it had been sprayed before, just find it weird that its the one corner. unless just that patch has been sprayed which I doubt :huh:

I had someone mention a machine polisher to me the other day because I want to get swirls off the rest of the car aswell, dont know whether I could trust myself with one though so will avoid and get someone else to do it.

If Ive got time this week I'll take it over the body shop in my lunch breaK and ask opinions and prices for spraying, hopefully theyll have a polisher to get the swirls out too with any luck :blush:

Edited by elliecjno1

I would have thought that other parts of the bumper would have done the same if it had been sprayed before, just find it weird that its the one corner. unless just that patch has been sprayed which I doubt :huh:

I had someone mention a machine polisher to me the other day because I want to get swirls off the rest of the car aswell, dont know whether I could trust myself with one though so will avoid and get someone else to do it.

If Ive got time this week I'll take it over the body shop in my lunch breaK and ask opinions and prices for spraying, hopefully theyll have a polisher to get the swirls out too with any luck :blush:

The corner could easily of been sprayed before and blended into the rest, a machine polisher wont change it at all, in parts the laquer isnt even there! quite a simple job for the paint shop as theres no damage, we would charge around £100, £150 tops!

The corner could easily of been sprayed before and blended into the rest, a machine polisher wont change it at all, in parts the laquer isnt even there! quite a simple job for the paint shop as theres no damage, we would charge around £100, £150 tops!

ok cool :) il pop in and ask for a quote for that then and a quote of polishing swirls out. yeh the laquers totally gone in places, looks terrible :angry: