petrol vs diesel...

MattyA

Im with Kam here, i could get 51mpg in my sport driving it sensible to work and back. Even the Almera GTi will see around 40mpg driving it nice. Only drove one TDi, the works focus. Although it gives great MPG the powerband is so narrow, nothing on take off, then all the power for a short distance then it dies off very fast. Seems fun on boost, but that fun lasts a second or so before you've ran out of revs which is overall quite boring.

Im with Kam here, i could get 51mpg in my sport driving it sensible to work and back. Even the Almera GTi will see around 40mpg driving it nice. Only drove one TDi, the works focus. Although it gives great MPG the powerband is so narrow, nothing on take off, then all the power for a short distance then it dies off very fast. Seems fun on boost, but that fun lasts a second or so before you've ran out of revs which is overall quite boring.

I never understand the powerband arguement, mabey its because iv only had 2 similar petrols and only one tdi(the arosa) but the powerband on the petrols were much smaller than in the diesel! They used to have no power tull 4-6k and the diesel has power from 2-4 but it takes longer to rev thru the powerband in the diesel so im never sure where this powerband thing comes from :s

The standard Sports are in desperate need of a remap, do 4,000rpm in 1st gear and put your foot down, nothing happens for about 3 seconds.

Uber flat spots everywhere, induction kit, exhaust system, remap, now its a sport.

I've driven a 1.7 Focus TDI (the new one) and it was really quick but it just made me laugh how it ran out of steam after 100mph, it was about as powerful as a 1.2 over 100mph.

Again Sports you just have to wind up like a clockwork toy, their powerband is at 5,000 rpm for a reason !

Edited by Niche

I never understand the powerband arguement, mabey its because iv only had 2 similar petrols and only one tdi(the arosa) but the powerband on the petrols were much smaller than in the diesel! They used to have no power tull 4-6k and the diesel has power from 2-4 but it takes longer to rev thru the powerband in the diesel so im never sure where this powerband thing comes from :s

Thats because the Arosa/Lupo TDis are great engines.

Some diesels are slow, and the power comes in big chunks - nothing...... nothing ...... powerrrrr ..... nothing :lol:

So i remain, it has to be a good diesel engine for me to want one, would never buy a diesel just for the sake of it being a diesel, it needs to be good :)

no offence to most of the derv lupo drives but most of you probably haven't driven many good petrol engined cars. S2000, bmw straight 6, M5 5lr v8, the new bmw 3lr petrol turbo etc. once you've driven a good petrol engine even the best diesel doesn't come close. I'd add that with the new bmw efficient dyamics thing you can get over 35mpg from the 3lr turbo straight 6 and I could easily do over 25mpg in M5 with 400bhp 5lr v8 [which makes the low 20s mpg in some of the new turbo hot hatches seem pretty shocking].

no offence to most of the derv lupo drives but most of you probably haven't driven many good petrol engined cars. S2000, bmw straight 6, M5 5lr v8, the new bmw 3lr petrol turbo etc. once you've driven a good petrol engine even the best diesel doesn't come close. I'd add that with the new bmw efficient dyamics thing you can get over 35mpg from the 3lr turbo straight 6 and I could easily do over 25mpg in M5 with 400bhp 5lr v8 [which makes the low 20s mpg in some of the new turbo hot hatches seem pretty shocking].

No most people wont have crusoe (myself being one)

So whats the point? If we all had £40k plus to spend, we'd all have different cars?? :wacko: Is this just you in self congratulatory mode...again!!?

The point is: I have a diesel because it returns high 40s and can perform (whether you like the delivery or not) if I had the money for a BMW id be driving one.

Rich - Tried the 1.6 FSI in an A3, it was neither here nor there tbh.

no the point was if you'd driven a decent petrol you won't even consider diesel to be a valid alternative :) nothing stopping you test driving a few even if you don't have the money to afford them yet, some worth trying before they are priced off the road.

No I agree with Crusoe. The cars he has listed are not £40k used. You can pick them up cheaper but not all of them for £12k. Yu can pick up an E39 shap M5 for £12-15k so not too bad. Now thats a proper petrol car

Or pick up an E32 7 series for around a grand. The 730 and 735 both crack 30mpg on a run.

Ooooh, and the noise (especially with s/s exhaust) is something only diesel owners can dream about! :lol:

I've always fancied a Fabia VRs. There's an '06 at the local Skoda dealer for £9.5k (11k miles) and was tempted to go down just for a test drive. Heard once re-mapped they really do shift. However, can't really see me parting with the GTi in the near future (too much heartbreak).

no the point was if you'd driven a decent petrol you won't even consider diesel to be a valid alternative :) nothing stopping you test driving a few even if you don't have the money to afford them yet, some worth trying before they are priced off the road.

I carnt really see the point, yes it would be nice to drive high powered petrols, but if the objective is to make us like petrols when we own diesels, then were is the point in that. We would/maybe just be left wanting something we carnt afford.

Its true ive not driven any fast petrols, although ive been in all kind of things, i never got the chance to drive them. Ive been in too many performance petrols to list (from Bentley turbos to 500SLs to lotus cars etc), but as i say not driven them. Although i carnt see how comparing these to a diesel hatch is relevant really.

Im talking about exactly that, the 1.6 golf vs the diesel golf, the diesel wins hands down for me.

If i was getting a performace car, such as the s2000, then it would have to be petrol obviously, but then again id want an everyday diesel hatchback too, and keep the S2000 for weekend use.

We used to have a V8 Range Rover for our everyday car, it would do about 8-10 MPG round town and about 18 on a run. The diesel version wasnt a patch on the performance or noise of the V8 so we put up with the MPG as we loved the car so much. So i can see where petrol people are coming from.

So what im trying to say is, it depends largley on what car it is! But hatchbacks i remain, the diesel is better. Although obviously this excludes performance petrol hatchbacks.

This is getting complicated :wacko::lol:

Personally i think Audi is the way forward with its TDi R8! :shades:

Edited by cardaft

cant compare them cars to a 1.9 tdi golf bus, drive the r8 tdi when it comes out and them come back with that arguement. Its the only car that would be able to compare really. Maby a 535 with a map can compare to some of the cars you talk about power wise.

why, if you could have the new audi A8 with the petrol v10 you aren't going to want the nasty soot chucker one. It's a show case for selling diesel rep mobiles but i don't see what the USP is. It's 150kg heavier if i remember rightly and going to be at least £20k more than the v8 petrol. i'd rather have the smaller petrol engine and £20k to spend of fuel though in reality the diesel is only expected to get 20mpg which with the current cost difference is more like high teens mpg compared to a petrol equivalent. Lots of supercars that will give better ecconomy with petrol than that.

think my point is answered though, given the choice of not considering fuel consumption eveyone would go for the petrol version. Yes a 335d is a nice car but a 335i is better and you can get a remap in that too. Given the future fuel ecconomy benefits being developed for petrol engines of 30-40% it will take the fuel cost difference out of the equation to a large degree making diesel a minor player again.

think my point is answered though, given the choice of not considering fuel consumption eveyone would go for the petrol version. Yes a 335d is a nice car but a 335i is better and you can get a remap in that too. Given the future fuel ecconomy benefits being developed for petrol engines of 30-40% it will take the fuel cost difference out of the equation to a large degree making diesel a minor player again.

Yeah I think you're right Crusoe.....

However it doesn't mean you have to hate diesel cars because you love petrol - at the end of the day they are worlds apart.

The r8 tdi is not made for economy aparantly, its made for a different driving experience. modern turbo diesels drive in a different way to petrol cars and some people prefer the driving style of a modern diesel. I too would rather save my 20k and get a petrol r8, but that dosent mean diesel cars are better than petrol cars, they are just different, and both as good as each other IMO

think my point is answered though, given the choice of not considering fuel consumption eveyone would go for the petrol version.

Hmm nope, yes on large high performance cars, but not on mid sized mid engines cars.

Driving a diesel isnt all about MPG, well not for me, its a bonus, i like the drive of a diesel better than a petrol. Often.

I went diesel in December - Skoda Fabia 1.9 PD TDI (100 bhp) -

The main reason was to save on my fuel bills as I was doing a lot of miles. My on-board computer tells me I have averaged nearly 56 mpg since I have had it. Another benefit is the in-gear oomph my car has - it suits my lazy driving style. I don't like the diesel clatter though.

If a petrol could come close to this sort of economy and in-gear oomph I would choose it over a diesel (so long as cost was similiar).