paint defects.

Hope that someone can help me on this.

I've noticed that on the boot handle there is a small bubble on the paint. Also checking the underside of the spoiler there are a couple of bubbles on there.

I called my local and usually friendly vw garage and they say that the boot hadle is a comon fault with the mk4 golfs and they need to be replaced but the paint warrentee is just 3 years on that and the spoiler is one year.

Also they say that it can't be rubbed back and sprayed again cos it just comes back.

Is this true that it can't be redone and i have to spend silly amounts for it doing. I know of another gti spoiler that has done this, so is there anyone else and is the warentee true on the paint?

Paint warranty is only 3 years i think, anti perforation warranty is 12 years.

Although ive heard a lot of GTI spoilers with the bubbling paint, so its a common thing.

Is it the boot handle itself thats bubbling? If so i dont think it would be covered by the 12 year warranty, unfortunately.

what about if we all complained about it and showed them then they might look at it and go. ah common problem we'll fix it. lol. worth a try?

Ive been argueing for months regarding the bubbling on my Polo.

I got the keys off them, went to look at the repair then refused to pay.

VWUK "We take our technical advice from the dealers"

Still not paid for it, just keep sending them the same updated e-mail "Take me to court and let them decide what 12 years paint cover should include"

Still no court date.

Ive been argueing for months regarding the bubbling on my Polo.

I got the keys off them, went to look at the repair then refused to pay.

VWUK "We take our technical advice from the dealers"

Still not paid for it, just keep sending them the same updated e-mail "Take me to court and let them decide what 12 years paint cover should include"

Still no court date.

suppose that is one way of doing it lol.

Argh, this old chestnut. VW are very much aware of bubbling GTI spoilers, but you have to make sure they're looking at the right thing.

The warranty on all paint is 3 years with 12 years anti perf. *including* the spoiler.

Your dealership thinks that you have an aftermarket VW spoiler, in which case I think it might be one year.

To cut a long story short, the bubbles are caused by water saturation. Water gets in to the spoiler, saturates the honeycomb spoiler, and rots the contacts on the high level brake light - as well as causing it to mist up. I think this is due to the fact that they're not sealed to the bodywork in general.

I had to shell out (partially - got VW to pay for some of it) for a new spoiler, sprayed. Inevitably it filled up with water about 3 times before the dealership decided it would be a good idea to seal it on properly (something VW never managed to get right).

yeah mine did the water thing on the brake light and it had 3 of them. its just the marks in it that are now starting to annoy me.

If you have a GTI, it's not going to perforate - in fact I'm not sure what the bubbles are as the wing is aluminium!

Other than that - show it to them. If they think it might perforate within 12 years there's every chance they'll sort it out.

Unfortunately some VW dealers don't really put the effort in when it comes to these claims(can't be bothered/not worth it etc/not trained)...

I found there was a very good one in Nottingham i think it was(it was in the last thread about this type of stuff). He knew exactly what was what, how to claim etc & how to get it approved etc. Might be worth a journey up there.

My recommendation would be to try a couple of dealers first before going to VWUK... Because once VWUK say No they won't change their mind no matter what Dealer goes to them. You might just get the dealer that can work his magic with the claims department.