Lupo GTI vs Saxo VTS?

OllyGTI

Ok ok, ive been searching and ive found it, a roadtest of a GTi vs a VTS in an old copy of what car i have.

Here are some specs:

Saxo

0-60: 7.6

30-50: 5.0

50-70: 5.2

Top seed: 126

Torque: 107

Insurance Grp: 14

Lupo

0-60: 7.7

30-50: 5.0

50-70: 5.5

Top seed: 116

Torque: 112

Insurance Grp: 11

The Lupo gets the 'our choice', but the saxo was close by the look of things.

top speed on a lupo GTi is 116mph???

who told you that on the reviews it says 127mph and i know for a fact that they go higher up i'v seen a lupo sport do 116mph :lol:

well iv got a crail day comin up next month and my friend has a saxo vts so i will challenge him on the quarter mile and put it stone dead once and for all that sound good???

There's no doubt a 6-speed Lupo would have an advantage over the Saxo as the extra gear gives a much better use of the power keeping the engine in the power band, whereas I know the Saxo VTS's/Pug 106's have really tall 1st/2nd gearing to make sure they make that all important 0-60mph time lower to obviously impress those who judge a car by the paper stats.

Mr Parker, he say...

LUPO

1.6 GTi 3d 8.0 s 127 mph 123 bhp

SAXO

1.6i 16V VTS 3d (97) 7.5 s 127 mph 120 bhp

1.6i 16V VTS 3d (99) 7.6 s 127 mph 120 bhp

.5 of a second upto 60mph isn't exactly a thrashing, but it would pip.

As already said, a lot will depend on the driver.

Well done Stevie, are you both standard? Keep it on the track and let us know.

Ive had a VTR and a 106 gti, 106 ended up with sensors all over, abs, window falls out, airbag lights, seats loose as feck, nasty interior too.

Me mates had a VTS for about 3 year, couple of driveshafts, airbag lights, 3 abs sensors, dodgy immob, seat SNAPPED, and im not kidding but knocking and creaking ALL the time, forever chasing problems of knocks from the susp but never gets thrashed either. I know he's had loads more problems than that but thats off me head.

That said there Fun, nippy, cheap to buy and usually cheap to fix. I loved the 106 gti handling and even the VTR but the 106 went asap cos i didnt trust it one bit.

They are what they are, quick cheap fun cars, no quality to them apart from the handling.

Try find a 51 plate GTI for the price of a VTS, not gonna happen.... Theres obviously a reason why people pay the money for a Lupo gti over saxo's. There not forced.

who told you that on the reviews it says 127mph and i know for a fact that they go higher up i'v seen a lupo sport do 116mph :lol:

well iv got a crail day comin up next month and my friend has a saxo vts so i will challenge him on the quarter mile and put it stone dead once and for all that sound good???

yh this cant b right my lupo s would do that easy!

Just what it said in the What Car :)

The Saxo we had for the wife had a coil pack, gear cables and two sets of brake pads in 6 years.

I changed the oil once.

The gunk from the lack of oil changing was probably holding the engine together! ;)

Its time to be boring... one thing that everyone is forgetting is that Lupo is an ncap 4 star car and 106/saxo are 2 star cars. I know which one i'd rather be seen in.

But in terms of performance i'm sure the saxo is probably slightly quicker. Its lighter with the same power so it would be.

Its time to be boring... one thing that everyone is forgetting is that Lupo is an ncap 4 star car and 106/saxo are 2 star cars. I know which one i'd rather be seen in.

But in terms of performance i'm sure the saxo is probably slightly quicker. Its lighter with the same power so it would be.

That was a big deciding factor why ours got traded in really, light cars are good for handling, but i think id rather be in a heavy car which is made for safety and lack a little of the handling.

Saxos are very dated now, where as the Lupo isnt as much, the Lupo GTi will be/are collectable, Saxos never will be.

If i was buying a fun car, say to be taken to a track at weekends, then id get the citroen, but for living with day to day, would have to be the lupo.

Just buy one of each, Saxos are worth very little now!

Edited by cardaft