Sport TDi vs Sport 16v

Moose

I'm trying to decide between these two for my next daily runner. Went to look at a Sport TDi at a dealership over the weekend but annoyingly someone had put a deposit on it that morning so I couldn't test drive it :angry: Anyway, I used to have a Polo 16v so am pretty sure I know what the Sport 16v will be like, but just don't know what the TDi will be like.

Does anyone have the following details for both 16v and TDi (and maybe for a chipped one too ;)):

- 0 to 60

- 30 to 70 (through the gears)

- suspension details (are they the same for both)?

cheers

The suspension is the same on both the TDi and the petrol sport.

Ok these are brochure figures:

Petrol:

0-60 - 10 seconds

TDI:

0-60 - 12 seconds.

30-70 - 7.6 seconds. (from VW Driver mag) You can do 70 in third, just! 7.8 seconds in 4th from 30-70. SO really good enough in 4th, no need to threash a diesel really.

TDI TDI TDI TDI TDI TDI :D

Ok these are brochure figures:

Petrol:

0-60 - 10 seconds

TDI:

0-60 - 12 seconds.

30-70 - 7.6 seconds. (from VW Driver mag) You can do 70 in third, just! 7.8 seconds in 4th from 30-70. SO really good enough in 4th, no need to threash a diesel really.

TDI TDI TDI TDI TDI TDI :D

To quote the autocar review of the 1.4 petrol sport - 1.4 petrol sport 0-60 8.8 seconds (since your quoting 30-70s out of a mag) :P lol

Petrol sports are about revs the extract the power, TDI's are more relaxed by nature. I'd say test drive them both and see which one you prefer, I'm guessing the sport is pretty similar to the polo 16V (the engines the same) but the polo 16V (6n1) was a bit lighter I think, so in the lupo the performance might be blunted a little.

Petrols have rear discs and a central exhaust on top of TDI spec.

However having said all of this. I'd sway for a TDI but thats because ive had enough of my sport now and fancy something different!

To quote the autocar review of the 1.4 petrol sport - 1.4 petrol sport 0-60 8.8 seconds (since your quoting 30-70s out of a mag) :P lol

:lol:

If we're being exact about things, VW Driver recorded a figure of 11.2 seconds to 60 for the TDI.

To quote from the same TDI article - "It was the in-gear acceleration from 30 to 50 and 50 to 70 which really impressed us, the figures being comparable with those for a Golf GTi"

But as Pete says, drive both and see which one suits you the best. They are very different cars and really suit different needs, if your doing a lot of miles id go for the TDi, but if you wanting a pure fun thrash then the petrol.

But the TDi has more potental and is still great fun to drive.

Id find it really difficult to go back to a petrol now, the TDi has so much torque its amasing how effortless it makes driving. Ive been driving a 1.6 petrol car for a few days now and its quick when you work the engine but its pretty gutless compared to my TDI, no low down pull as you expect from a petrol, but its something i really miss.

Edited by cardaft

:lol:

But the TDi has more potental and is still great fun to drive.

Id find it really difficult to go back to a petrol now,

As I came from Scooby STi .... to BMW 328i... to Lupo TDi....

after putting up with a bit of stick.... `Look Con... somebodys just ran off with ya Lupo..... Wind took it yet......Is that Tom and Jerry on ya seats ?!` kind of comment.... I can actually say I ENJOY driving it home !

Everybody who has looked at it has been impressed... then when we went out for a meal the other night - 4 of us were in it.... and it drove really nicely.

Dont think Ill ever go back to petrol now - as the way the country is going ... insurance costs.... fuel cost.... .tax costs..... Im really happy with the loop for driving to work.

Aint even missed the boot space yet to be honest - the shopping fits in there with the seats down ... the Vibe box just fits in so all is well - and cant believe how the factory stereo sounds with just 2 speakers and tweeters in the front ! Although this is getting changed to my Alpine etc.

But like the above said - drive them both and make a choice.

Just my little 2p worth :)

I thought the sport was more rolly :wacko:

You really need to do a test drive, they are very different as the above comments suggest.

Edited by jon_273

I thought the sport was more rolly :wacko:

You really need to do a test drive, they are very different as the above comments suggest.

Maybe it is, the TDI might have stiffer prings i dont know.

I was just meaning ride height wise really. But no the TDi doesnt roll too much, the 1.4S and Sport are suposed to be the worst for body roll.

Unlike the Arosa sport which is supposed to be slightly lower than the rest.

I was just meaning ride height wise really. But no the TDi doesnt roll too much, the 1.4S and Sport are suposed to be the worst for body roll.

Previous owner fitted the Cup Kit to my Loop. Really reminds me of the Mini when I first drove it ...... Point it and it stears there - suspension seems mint really and no body roll now - not sure what it was like before hand - A little bumpy on rough roads but liveable.

Anyways off out now with my mechanic mate and his Mrs... he apparently knows somebody who does remaps - wanting that done. 100bhp in this thing should be even better ;)

Thanks for your input all. The 0 - 60 of the TDi is a little disappointing being as though my Polo (6n1) could do it in under 9 seconds, but the 30 - 70 is impressive. 7.6 seconds is pretty quick! (you sure that's for a standard one? Any idea what a chipped one does?)

I do nearly 15,000 miles a year and my daily commute is about 60% on the motorway, so the TDi could be the one to go for (putting my sensible head on). Thing is, I just loved reving the nuts of my Polo on the other 40% (mainly A & B roads). Above 4000rpm it was pretty quick and sounded good too, with a full stainless exhaust.

I really need to find a TDi locally so I can try one out. Last thing I want is something that feels too slow ;)

Edited by Moose

That sums up why the 16V Sport seems quicker than they are. Maybe the 10.0 second quote was from a Lupo with a shagged gearbox. :wacko:

Usually the true 0-60 of a car is slightly less than in brochures.

Just like a cars top speed is usually always more than in the stats too. Thats because that is over a set distance i think, given more room it possibly will go faster.

Could be the slightly heavier engine putting more loading on the springs and hence giving the car less play on the suspension, and hence less roll. (if the springs are the same)

I've heard the mk2 arosa sport has the same springs as the gti, don't know the truth in that though.

The petrol sport has comedy roll, its not short on grip though given it has such a small wheelbase, but that probably goes for any lupo with standard alloys. I think to be fair eibach springs would be an ideal upgrade for any lupo, as they are not race firm like coilovers but just tighten things up a little (from what i've heard - although my lupos untouched).

Depends what you want, lupo sport is good at anything over 4500 revs, but it gets a little tiresome. TDI is much more relaxed performance, and I think thats what i'd like next.

Pete

i can imagine the tdi is much better for curising on the motorway and miles better for MPG, but as for performance, you mention the rolly handling of the sport and i totally agree, thats why i had coilovers less than a month after purchase.

my friend hs the polo 16v 100bhp mentioned earlier, and my sport pisses all over it!!

my friend hs the polo 16v 100bhp mentioned earlier, and my sport pisses all over it!!
Agreed. I had a Lupo Sport and someone else in the family had a Polo Sport - same power but hugely noticeable difference in performance (obviously down to the fact that the Polo is considerably heavier).

Agreed. I had a Lupo Sport and someone else in the family had a Polo Sport - same power but hugely noticeable difference in performance (obviously down to the fact that the Polo is considerably heavier).

What about the Polo 6n1 16v with a 1.4 16V 100ps:

01.jpg

I'm not certain, but I think that may be a little lighter than either the Lupo or polo 6n2 sport. Certainly its down to power to weight ratio!

Edited by Petes 16V Sport

Diesels are quick and economical but they just aren't as fun to drive as a revvy petrol lump imo.

Its like brown and white bread. You know browns better, but you still want white.

Edited by heartagram