wheel sizes

slick1990

Does the wheel size make a difference to how your speedometer reads or does it read from the gearbox?

Usually the bigger the wheel the smaller the sidewall of the tyre. So it usually makes up for it. Although its somehting to think about when choosing which size tyres to put on.

Well that's a very interesting calculator, but we all know when were doing 60mph with our standard cars we aren't actually doing 60mph ! More like 56mph to begin with !

So am I right in saying that the best option here would be to go for a 185/50/R14 rather than the 185/55/R14's I have as standard? :wacko: The speed output seems to be reduced with the lower profile side wall making the speedometer more accurate? GPS would be the only way to tell if your speedometer is accurate.

Edited by Niche

Well that's a very interesting calculator, but we all know when were doing 60mph with our standard cars we aren't actually doing 60mph ! More like 56mph to begin with !

So am I right in saying that the best option here would be to go for a 185/50/R14 rather than the 185/55/R14's I have as standard? :wacko: The speed output seems to be reduced with the lower profile side wall making the speedometer more accurate? GPS would be the only way to tell if your speedometer is accurate.

With a lower profile tyre 185/50/14 your speedo would read that you were going faster than you actually are.

!85/55/14 is the standard tyre for the Sport, so the speedo will be about as accurate as ermmm... VW made it!

That would give you a lower speed rating. Say your doing 60 - well 56 really - your probably going to be going 54 really but reading 60 still. Which puts the gearing down, which for a sport isnt good!

You would be better with 185/60/14, that would improve the gearing making it a little better on fuel maybe and make the speedo more accurate. Thats also a very very cheap size iirc.

Can you even get 185/50/14? I was looking a few weeks ago and i thought there wasnt many, if any, tyres availabe in that size.

That would give you a lower speed rating. Say your doing 60 - well 56 really - your probably going to be going 54 really but reading 60 still. Which puts the gearing down, which for a sport isnt good!

You would be better with 185/60/14, that would improve the gearing making it a little better on fuel maybe and make the speedo more accurate. Thats also a very very cheap size iirc.

Can you even get 185/50/14? I was looking a few weeks ago and i thought there wasnt many, if any, tyres availabe in that size.

Yeh you can get 185/50/R14 but there high end tyre manufacturers like yoko's. I think the cheapest was £45 from mytyres.

EDIT: But its going to make your ride height gay. What about stretched tyres with the larger side wall? 165/60/R14 for example? Could help to keep the car lower but will it still mess up the speedometer readings? Just tested it...about the same as the recommended tyres.

Edited by Niche

Yeh you can get 185/50/R14 but there high end tyre manufacturers like yoko's. I think the cheapest was £45 from mytyres.

EDIT: But its going to make your ride height gay. What about stretched tyres with the larger side wall? 165/60/R14 for example? Could help to keep the car lower but will it still mess up the speedometer readings? Just tested it...about the same as the recommended tyres.

Oh yeah i remember now, i wasnt looking to replace my 185/55/14s just curious.

165/60/14 will be a smaller radious that 185/55/14 i think. As the sidewall profile (the 50,55,60 etc) is a percentage of the width of the tyre. Narrower the tyre the less sidewall there is. So id think speedo would still read slow.

Are you wanting these for your standard wheels Niche?

Yeh for my standard wheels. Sold the BBS and the coilies to MartyP the other day. :)

Could go for a slight stretch to help keep the speedo as standard and keep the ride height similar.

165 would make it read 1.2% faster. If I go for 175/60/R14 it would read a tad slower by 1% which in reality is what I want as I want the speedo more accurate to my GPS.

-Nick-

Edited by Niche

I take it your lowering it then?

If not a smaller tyre will look a little lost in the arches.

Have you looked at 175/60/14? Might be better if you want a tiny stretch.

That is exactly the tyre profile I want.

EDIT: I'll probably go for some Federal FD1's again.

Edited by Niche

i dont have a problem with you, i just dont understand you.

one minute you are on here saying you have fitted 17s to your car, and you have lowered it 30mm

next minute you never bought the lowering springs or the wheels, come on make up your mind

have you got a problem with me coz i will meet you with my mates and sort this outthat was to earni peaople hes the only gay in here and if he keeps going he is going to get what is coming to him

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT: If you have a problem with earnie, its your problem...

so stop being the internet hard man, and just sort out some wheels for your car, (15" would look best IMO)

:coffee:

Edited by Daz_Kez

• 2 weeks later...
so stop being the internet hard man

I know someone else who tried that for a while! :wacko: his mum prob set him straight though. :coffee: