stereo and ignition

How do I wire my stereo so that it comes on (and more importantly off) with the ignition? It's just a plug and play straight into the back of the headunit but recently ive been having problems with my car eating batteries since I fitted it. Thought maybe it could have something to do with this. When I pull my key out the stereo stays on and I can even lock the car with music playing :S

Obviously I turn it off manually but the little ON light stays glowing all the time

Edited by dannymcflylol

For some reason they need to be swapped over - but I thought this was to solves the headunit loosing settings? It gives a permanent live feed to the headunit - you sound like you have the same problem as me, the headunit has no switched live to tell it when the ignition is on or off....

Edited by lunalupi

u shouldnt have to toych the cars wiring

on my pioneere unit the red and yellow wires had spade connections in them so i just switched the red to yellow and yellow to red so the wires are half and half like hafl red connection then yellow and vice versa

My Panasonic cd player resets all its settings every time I take the key out.

It even makes me eject the cd and then insert it again for it to play. :wacko:

This obviously gets really really tedious, especially when I'm in a hurry and need some get-away musick, fast.

Judging by your comments, does it mean that if I switch the wires over it will keep all the settings? :confused:

Please let it be so!

yeah, used to work at Halfords and often had to swap the red and yellow wires around to save radio presents etc

^ Yep. Which shouldnt make sense coz it should be colour coded eg. red to red but if you swap em over its all good. Presets are all saved and the HU will work in unison with the ignition :)

If it still doesnt work after that, ive got a "connect2" box kicking around somewhere you can try. I found it in my car when i baught him with the VW tape HU in, i think the previous owner had it so that the aftermarket CD changer worked, but i think it helps with aftermarket HUs too...

Gizza shout if you need it :)

You don't need the halfords adaptor. Its a waste of money. The loom you get with the stereo is fine. Find the red and yellow wires, they will most likely have bullet connectors on them. Just pull them apart and connect the red to yellow, yellow to red.

Thats all the halfords ISO loom does and itll cost you.

This is probably gonna sound like a stupid question but does anyone know which red and yellow leads to swap over, because I found 2 :confused:

I took some photos to explain my problem:

PICT1080.jpg

Is it the red and yellow wires on this part (I think it connects to the arial :confused: )

Or is it these yellow + red wires:

PICT1079.jpg

Also any way of getting the actual wires out? They are fairly firmly in place and I dont really wont to just yank them out!

Any imput would be great :blush: Thanks so far though :lol:

You shouldn't have to touch the cars wiring at all.

Did you get a wiring harness with the headunit? it goes between the headunit and the car's connectors. Its in that harness that the alteration should be made.

PICT1080.jpg

Is it the red and yellow wires on this part (I think it connects to the arial :confused: )

The wires in your first pic look like the ones in my wiring harness - they have bullet connectors halfway down that you can just unplug and swap over so red goes into yellow and vice versa :) (can even see one of the connectors in the pic)

Edited by lunalupi

Ok I don't even have a red and yellow cable??

SP_A0271.jpg

That's the wiring that comes straight outta the cars dashboard.

Then I plug those two straight into the back of my becker head unit.

SP_A0272.jpg

Which works fine. But I REALLY need it to turn off with the ignition. Does anyone know how with mine?

I even searched for a becker loom but I didn't find anything so im not sure that's even what im missing. Help!

See you don't have an aftermarket harness with that so you need to go and get one from somewhere like halfords. Most aftermarket Hu's come with an extra harness which is where the switch is made