Am I being tight?

Max69vk

I've got a set of 4 coilover springs that I need stripping & powdercoating, I'd rather use somewhere local as it saves having to package & post them up + the extra cost etc. Best quote I got was £30 a spring! Now when I compare that to a wheel which costs the same to refurb Im thinking that price is a a bit steep?

Opinions?

imagine it's more of a pain to get a consistent coat on a complex shape like a spring and still allow it to work - would think a standard powder finish would crack off when the spring compressed?

lots of different coatings, maybe the one they do on springs is more expencive hence the price. Spec 101 coatings here some have elastic properties so they don't crack on springs with some they get a plastic type coating which may be more suitable but i'm sure they know whet they are doing though migth explain the cost.

At the end of the day the springs could go on the car as they are it's just me being a little fussy. I just cant see how that cost can be justified against the cost of getting a wheel done, especially as the finish doesn't have to be as good (they are under the car after all!).

Probably a better idea, but it took me ages to find somewhere to do the powdercoating so God knows how long it will be before I find someone who can do that!. (I did use google before any smart ass says something!) :lol:

Edited by Max69vk

the problem with some of the plastic coaters is they want to heat the spring up with a torch and then dip it into powdered plastic , which would effect the spring

The coating will have a special additive, 2k paint needs plasticiser when your painting parts that will flex.

Also don't forget that the process wont change whether your doing a spring or a wheel, thats why youve been quoted the same. Wheels are bigger but springs are more intricate.

the problem with some of the plastic coaters is they want to heat the spring up with a torch and then dip it into powdered plastic , which would effect the spring

Power coat is heated to 200 deg c

Also Hammerite comes in spray can