Apple Geeks thread 2008...

AndyW

People People People, i am new to the whole Mac thing. I have an iPhone, although i just broke it lol, but today i traded my piece of shhhht windows laptop in for a brand new 21.5" LED back lit iMac, just got it today and im well impressed. the new magic mouse is utterly sick, what am i saying this whole computer is dope, screw windows, xbox and anything else Microsoft got their dirty money grabbing hands on, im not a pc baby, im now a MAC. lol, quick introductory question, is their any cool free apps or programs i can download?? What would everyone recommend? mucho gracias mon frere :D

Photoshop CS4

Adium (instead of MSN, It's far better)

a Wiget called "miniStat2"

those are my top 3 recommendations

Oh, And for Syncing your Mac with your PS3, Nulriver Medialink ! :)

Edited by nfbr

last pic was on macro mode..

could of been a more helpful answer :coffee:

a more helpful answer would be:

Google

nice one mate, where can i download all these from? do i have to download some sort of torrent?

Nulriver Medialink you'll have to pay for I'm affraid. They work on a personal registeration thing. Get caught using a dodgy copy and they can apparently stop your PS3 from working online :S

As for adium: http://adium.im/

Photoshop CS4 You have to buy and is around £960. (pm me for a discount :lol:)

apparently its a common fault with the 1st gen macbook airs? :(

my warranty just ran out on the 11th of october :\

Apple are normally pretty good when it comes to common faults.

Book yourself an appointment at your local apple store's genius bar, Take your Air along with you and see if there has been an extension of the warranty on that particular problem. You may be pleasently surprised! I've just had the keyboard and top-case replaced on my BlackMacbook Free of charge despite it being somewhere between 2.5 and 3 years old !

Can anyone help me, im trying to watch movies on www.stagevu.com but it doesnt work, ive tried downloading the divx web player which it says you need, it downloads and i complete the installation process but when i check applications its not actually their??? and stagevu says its still not installed? Im trying to use this site as its good for downloading movies. Anyone know of any other sites that do this and actually work on my iMac or how i can actually get this installed?

Apple are normally pretty good when it comes to common faults.

Book yourself an appointment at your local apple store's genius bar, Take your Air along with you and see if there has been an extension of the warranty on that particular problem. You may be pleasently surprised! I've just had the keyboard and top-case replaced on my BlackMacbook Free of charge despite it being somewhere between 2.5 and 3 years old !

my nearest genius bar is sheffield i think..and i'm in newcastle :angry2:

Can anyone help me, im trying to watch movies on www.stagevu.com but it doesnt work, ive tried downloading the divx web player which it says you need, it downloads and i complete the installation process but when i check applications its not actually their??? and stagevu says its still not installed? Im trying to use this site as its good for downloading movies. Anyone know of any other sites that do this and actually work on my iMac or how i can actually get this installed?

BUMP

Anyone know how i can resolve this please? also a new one... Top 5 FREE Apps/Programs for MACs and where to download em? Tryin to get the most out of this puppy ;)

BUMP

Anyone know how i can resolve this please? also a new one... Top 5 FREE Apps/Programs for MACs and where to download em? Tryin to get the most out of this puppy ;)

get vuze :)

torrents are better ;)

BUMP

iTunes is good for movies...

Al has already given you a list of apps. You don't get anything particularly decent for free hence low responses. Adium is probably the best free bit of software. I also use Skype for video chats to mates with Macs/PC's or whatever.

Handbrake is good for ripping DVD's and converting video files.

That's about it.

iTunes is good for movies...

Al has already given you a list of apps. You don't get anything particularly decent for free hence low responses. Adium is probably the best free bit of software. I also use Skype for video chats to mates with Macs/PC's or whatever.

Handbrake is good for ripping DVD's and converting video files.

That's about it.

torrented things are free..mostly everything is available as a torrent..

i got it sorted by downloading divx player and running stagevu through firefox instead of safari as apparently safari on snow leopard is running 64bit and has problems as apposed to 32bit or something. anyway its now working. Got skype and thats mint as i talk to my windows mates. But now im pissed cus i found a single dead black fkin pixel. looked around and found 1 more so im properly cheesed and contemplating trying to get it replaced at the apple store. damn it i fkin hate dead pixels aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

no its a dead one (black). stuck pixels is when one of the three sub pixels is stuck on a single colour (seen when on a black background) where as this is a black dot which means all sub pixels arent getting any charge or have no liquid crystal in em. unfixable apparently. tried "pixel fixer" widget anyway and it didnt do shizzle so pretty annoyed.

i hope so as my contract comes up in jan i think. would be nice if i got the latest edition. otherwise im going to be pissed if i get a 3GS then 2 months later a 4G comes out.

I've noticed my battery life is slightly reduced since installing snow leopard?

*edit* Nope, Turns out it was Microsoft Excel using 81% of my processor gobbling the juice! Typical of microsoft hey.

Edited by nfbr

Lol yeah, sorry :)

Don't suppose there's anybody on here that's upgraded a unibody from Leopard to Snow Leopard? Since doing it my battery is coincidentally saying "Service Battery!" and only holds charge for about 30 minutes. No way am I paying £95+ for a new one just yet.

I upgraded, but I did a fresh install onto a new hard drive at the same time so might not be same scenario...

But my unibody is happy with SL and touch wood, so far I've had no battery problems. In fact, I would go as far as to say I'm seeing improved battery life... :blush: