Apple Geeks thread 2008...

AndyW

I should be working (hard because I've got a lot of stuff to get done before tomorrow) but instead, I'm getting my (mac) geek on...

Main desktop is the hackintosh, all nice and stable these days... Top left is the macBook I use for work; bottom left is the mini that's my tv in the living room.

4001842766_e665852726_b.jpg

:)

Edited by dxg

dunno if anyone seen this..

apple shop done over in 31 seconds.

impressive stuff :)

Apple made it easy for them by designing a magnetic power plug that just falls off if you pull and Apple macbooks

are far too cool for a Kingston lock :lol:

Lol, so I sound like the kind of pirate Mac user who doesn't have many files? :ph34r:

Possibly more one who cares more about the ability to throw the computer on the floor without damaging it and speed rather than disc size?

[quote name='Jon' date='16 October 2009 - 11:21 PM' timestamp='1255731674' post='727

Seriously, the performance from this OCZ SSD I've got is insane - best £60 I've spent on eBay.

Edited by nfbr

SSD's are for People who don't have many files... And people who don't mind paying £550 for a 256gb Hard Drive.

SSD are for people that are sensible enough not to store all their files on the main drive. SSD for your main drive and an exturnal

drive for all the backups of pictures and general crap. If you store large files on a macs main drive without a partition you will slow the mac down

people have this misconception that macs do not fragment but they do. They have an active defrag written into the OS that shifts files about

constantly but it only works on files up to a certain size. A partitioned hard drive is also not really any better because you are still using the same

physical hard drive as the OS is stored on. SSDs will actually cope with large files better as they dont need contiguous files as every sector of the

drive can be acsessed at the same time where as a physical drive has to spinn a disk and can only read when the head has passed

the section with the data.

SSD as your main drive with all your programs and an external drive like a lacie rugged for all your saved files. If your only ever using the computer in your

home then a NAS is the best option and you have a network mapped drive i would avoid a time capsule though unless it is located in a cool place. If the fan fails

then the drive will cook it's self its a big complaint with them.

SSDs are fantastic for laptops as traditionally you have less memory in a laptop than a desktop and that can cause problems as you end up using the hard disk

for virtual memory far more creating a bottle neck.

• Like 1

New iMacs, MacBook and Magic Mouse

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac

Quad Core, HD, 27", Touch Intelligent Mouse, new Mac Mini and a unibody white MacBook.

Wooo!!

But the quad core's still rather expensive. Mine cost £400 (well, the motherboard, memory and processor did!)

Are those screens a a different aspect ratio? - they look wider than usual...

Wooo!!

But the quad core's still rather expensive. Mine cost £400 (well, the motherboard, memory and processor did!)

Are those screens a a different aspect ratio? - they look wider than usual...

Yeah 16:9

The Quad Core is pretty dear but as far as high end Macs go I think they're all pretty well priced.

My new 17" Macbook Pro arrived today :)

Checked out the Serial number with apple and they tell me this particular one was built 7 weeks ago! Pretty fresh hey?

Theres a lot of cool stuff that I absolutely love about it which are better than my Macbook, For starters the new Multi-Touch pad! I thought it would be hard to get used to clicking the pad and not having a seperate button, but after less than an hour on it and I'm struggling to use the Button on my Older macbook! lol.

:) So far, So good!

Gona nip to the apple store tomorrow for a chat with a member of staff regarding warranties with Macbook Pro's when buying stock from a Bankrupt company... :)

Yeah 16:9

The Quad Core is pretty dear but as far as high end Macs go I think they're all pretty well priced.

Maybe the biggest one isn't all that expensive - from Daring Fireball:

Update: The new dual-core 27-inch iMac is $1699. The 30-inch Cinema Display is $1799. As Jeff Mancuso notes, it’s like buying a nice display and getting a built-in Mac for free.