SDI performance upgrade

edt

I adore my SDI.. apart from when it's going up a hill & really needs some more oomph. Has anyone looked into getting more horses.. a turbo? re mapping?

all advise appreciated

Ed

Yeah I own one also, but bought mine purely for economy as I was not expecting much performance.

Best thing is to switch to a 1.4TDi or I think someone on here added a custom exhaust with K&N filter, as well as other mods (think a remap) and gained 7 BHP more.

Swiching is easier...

Not sure a 1.9 SDI bottom end would fit?

Don't think a re-map reeps much benefit to a normal SDI.

The money spent to get more power out of the SDI is a costly route, as main way to get power is by adding a turbo.

To be honest not sure if the 1.9 TDI manifolds/turbos are a direct bolt on unit? But then there's more to turbos than bolting it on.

But the usual apply:

Filter, de-cat and exhaust

maybe flowed head?

Not sure power gains of larger injectors is.

TDI power is ok, not bad with most around 110hp. I see you're from Tilehurst, well i'm from Newbury so if you're ever interested in needing to see the difference between yours and TDI (well a modified one) then let us know.

Edited by g-man85

there was a thread on here ages ago , I have no idea who by either with some great tips on re-routing stuff in the engine bay or something. !?

um also a remap gives around 10bhp.

Wasn't it the owner who had an a really nice mk1 Arosa but ended up breaking it for parts as the gearbox went??

Think he modified the air intake and smoothed it. There's a thread somewhere with his work on there. EDIT: Search for user 'DUBYA'

Edit:

Here's one thread

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?sho...5420&hl=SDI

Edited by g-man85

• 1 month later...
Apparently there's some air trumpets that restrict the air flow on the SDI, so remove them apparently can help.

Have just had this done, will report any noticeable change in oomph asap.

I have a Green Cotton high flow air filter element for your air box for sale if you want it. £20 delivered.

I used it for 6000 miles, then it got cleaned, oiled and stored in the box as I sold the SDi.

I have a Green Cotton high flow air filter element for your air box for sale if you want it. £20 delivered.

I used it for 6000 miles, then it got cleaned, oiled and stored in the box as I sold the SDi.

Is that a direct swap, or would it need extra piping to relocate/fit?

• 2 weeks later...
Noticed any difference? :)

cant say how much of it is me wanting it to be different, but yes. Only a marginal gain of course, but feel confident it copes better in 3rd with my usual hill near home.

cant say how much of it is me wanting it to be different, but yes. Only a marginal gain of course, but feel confident it copes better in 3rd with my usual hill near home.

Interesting! ;)

I know nothing about dirty fuel [*cough], but did VW not do a 1.7TDi? Can you not add the turbo from one to your car?

Apparently SDi's can be fitted a MkIII Golf TD turbo. I still haven't dare to try it :blush:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

pardon?

i've seen a 1.7 TSDI show up on here around November/October. the guy was from Holland. pm'ed him a few times and apparently someones out there getting 190ish HP from one of these engines! but if you want over 100HP you need uprated gearbox and clutch. Oh. and i think Most 1.9 Tdi stuff just bolts on. i think the Heads are pretty much the same... despite being offered a new fuel pump and turbo i just turned it down. don't have the time or money to be dabbling around with turbos.. but i reckon to a low mileage well looked after example it would run just as long i guess? as long as your not pushing it to the limits!

if i had the money and another car to run, id defiantly bolt on a turbo and watch the crap hit the fan! more fun and unique than a whole new engine or car :)