GTi owners, how many miles from a tank?

AndyW

I managed to eek out 264.4 miles from a tank over the course of this weekend. Surely that is some sort of record? The tank had been reading totally zero for at least 15 or 20 miles before I lost my bottle and filled up.

Just come down the M5/M50/M4 route to cardiff and basked in the smuggness of aircon. Only prob is, I'm in work for over 12hours tomorrow and its set to be hotter still! ******.

I usually get 200 until the light comes on, worst being 170 and best 230.

I drive it mostly through crappy city centre traffic though sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> until the weekends biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Open the filler cap, on the right hand side there's a black button.

If you fill the tank to the brim, you can hit the button, should hear a hiss, and you can fit an extra couple of quid in. Keep doing this until you can't fit any more in and you'll fill the expansion tank, although this isn't reccomended esp. if you're going to leave your lupo sitting for a while.

I've managed to get 130 miles before the petrol guage drops below 3/4 doing this before.

Reason it's bad, is that warm petrol needs room to expand.

Well boys, i have managed a healthy 140 miles to the tank last week!!!!! I was so gutted. Thats what back roads and dual carriageways at night r doing to my fuel economy!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(zippy)
My light goes on at `185-190`...

Either I'm drriving it right, or I'm driving it wrong...   biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I generally get a round 200, a little more if extra carefull.

This latest mega mpg figure was mainly driving at no more than 3k ever, and mostly dual carriageway/motorway and a couple of short trips to the shops.

QUOTE(bossjohnc)
Open the filler cap, on the right hand side there's a black button.

If you fill the tank to the brim, you can hit the button, should hear a hiss, and you can fit an extra couple of quid in. Keep doing this until you can't fit any more in and you'll fill the expansion tank, although this isn't reccomended esp. if you're going to leave your lupo sitting for a while.

I've managed to get 130 miles before the petrol guage drops below 3/4 doing this before.

Reason it's bad, is that warm petrol needs room to expand.

Facinating, not going to try it, but never knew that.

On a long trip travelling between 75 and 80 I reckon I can get about 300 miles to a tank.

Down here in Devon I average about 220 tootling to work and back, and including short journeys and stuff.

I've got a 5 spd by the way. Don't know if the 6 is more economical.

Round town I also get around the `200-220` mile mark, but last weekend did a trip to wales and got near an extra 100 mile outta the baby.

Lupo did me proud.

Bit of a drop after getting near on 450 miles to a tank in my Clio... and that was round town :?

Yeah mines a proper mixture of motorway, city centre and deserted back rounds and l get around 220 out of mine but thats not really taking it to the very limit. I'd say the worst l've had would be 170 and the best about 245

Chris

Best I had I made Plymouth, 4 in the car, on one tank, 280 miles

Worst I had was in Lincolnshire, went out on the fens with my mate in his Renault 19 16v, ended up in skeg

140 to the light, car made loads ticking noises every time we stopped, and fekcing stank of revs

220 avg. 240 best = mid red empty. Worst no idea. Mostly town driving. mix of mr sensible and rabid red line phsyco. Do notice a vast improvement if get chance to do any longer distance runs.

On fuel gauge I work on 60 miles per 1/4 mark

Jayson

QUOTE(twisty `b-road`)
Best I had I made Plymouth, 4 in the car, on one tank, 280 miles

Worst I had was in Lincolnshire, went out on the fens with my mate in his Renault 19 16v, ended up in skeg

140 to the light, car made loads ticking noises every time we stopped, and fekcing stank of revs

LOL, get a 2SK and it will tick and ping for 10min after you stop lol, all my neighbours think I thrash it to death as it makes such loud cooling noises even when you've just nipped down the road to the shops haha. Looks cool with heat haze rising over the bonnet as well when you stop in traffic, temp gage never moves from normal though. In my lupo I used to get about 230miles from the tank before the light, drops a lot if you drive about over about 80mph, lowest 130 miles, highest (on a long `60-65mph` cruise) 320miles. Get about the same from my Honda average about 230miles but it takes about an extra £10 to fill it.

Unless you can drive a turbo car out of it's turbo range, probably about 2500rpm you can't improve the ecconomy much no matter how hard you try, I can get 32mpg if i'm trying, best in the wrx is probably about 24?

• 4 years later...