GTi xenon trouble...

I have searched the forum but I have not found what I'm looking for yet (a rare moment).

The thing is that my right xenon died last week, it looks like it was because there was a crack in the plastic cover behind the bulb inside the enginecompartment so moisture could come in that way and ruin the bulb... :angry: So I have bought some used (yep I know, it sucks but they were very cheap) bulbs and my plan is to fit them myself. ;)

I went down the my garage yesterday and tried to take the car apart, but I have removed every visible bolt holding the front bumper of the car, but still it won't come loose! :o Is there anyone who have replaced one of their xenon bulbs that can give me some pointers? :) The plan is to get the whole lamphousing out so I could fix the small crack in the plastic too. I have only got two of the bolts out and I have read that there should be one below also, is that true and if it is, how do I reach it?

Is it even possible to remove the lamphousing without taking the front bumper off? :confused:

Many questions, but I really hope that I could get answers on some of them. :):shades: / Peter, Sweden.

I know you have to take the front bumber off to remove the lamp, but that's as much as I know.

I know this because one of my xenons died a few weeks ago. I let someone else do the hard work though!

Ok, thats answer to one of the questions at least then, thank you! :)

Ok, thats answer to one of the questions at least then, thank you! :)

Does this help - from the workshop manual - looks scary!!

None of the instructions for just replacing all three bulbs require the whole unit to come out. One side requires some ductwork to be removed to gain access to the rear. I could post that process if you like.

Deek

~~~~

Front bumper

Removing bumper Lupo GTI

N63-0079.png

Cover

â—† Material: PP/EPDM

â—† Removing:

‒ Remove cover => Page 63-14.

‒ Remove bolts -5-, located under trim.

‒ Removing wheel housing liner => Page 66-12.

‒ Remove bolts -2- and -21-.

‒ Remove radiator trim => Page 66-11.

‒ Remove bolts -8- and -9-.

‒ Remove spreader rivet -6-.

‒ Remove bolts -19- (accessible from wing inner side).

‒ Remove headlight washer system trim.

‒ Remove bolts -7-.

‒ Separate fog light connections if fitted.

‒ Pull cover -1- off guides -16- (left and right-hand sides).

Bolt

â—† Qty. 8

â—† 2.5 Nm

Spoiler

â—† Clipped into cover

â—† Is not necessary to remove when removing the cover

Cover

â—† Removing => Page 63-14

Bolt

â—† Behind cover for towing eye

â—† Qty. 2

â—† 8 Nm

Spreader rivet

â—† Qty. 4

Bolt

â—† Under trim of headlight washer system

â—† Qty. 2

â—† 1.5 Nm

Bolt

â—† Under radiator grille

â—† Qty. 3

â—† 2.5 Nm

Bolt

â—† Qty. 2

â—† 3.5 Nm

Bolt

â—† Qty. 4

â—† 20 Nm

Bumper carrier

Bolt

â—† Qty. 2

â—† 2.5 Nm

Carrier

Bolt

â—† Qty. 2

â—† 2.5 Nm

Spreader clip

â—† Qty. 6

Guide

â—† To remove/install bumper, pull out or push into guides parallel (at left and right-hand sides).

Bolt

â—† Qty. 6

â—† 1.2 Nm

Lock carrier with attachments

Bolt

â—† Qty. 2

â—† 1.5 Nm

Bracket

Bolt

â—† Qty. 2

â—† 1.5 Nm

None of the instructions for just replacing all three bulbs require the whole unit to come out. One side requires some ductwork to be removed to gain access to the rear. I could post that process if you like.

Deek

Wow, thanks yeah that may really do the trick. Now my tech-english is not the best, but if you're able to post that other process aswell I will be even happier! ;)

Hmm, ductwork, I cant get a descent translation for that to my language. :blush::rolleyes:

Edited by peepin_eyes

This whole xenon-thing sucks! What a pain in the a*s it is to get the bumper loose! :angry2:

But finally my friend came to the resque and found the hidden bolts, so now I have a loose lamphousing but I need to change the bulb.

Anyone out there with som tips on how to not get an electric shock or break something? :rolleyes:

Deek

~~~~

Front bumper

Removing bumper Lupo GTI

N63-0079.png

Can you do the same for the rear bumper, would like to know where all fixings are before I begin.

Cheers

Can you do the same for the rear bumper, would like to know where all fixings are before I begin.

Cheers

Rear is pretty straightforward, all the fixings are visible, except two which you can only access by removing the rear lights.

Have a look here...

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13159

Could have done with that front diagram last weekend, the two into the wing beside the headlights are a nightmare :huh:

• 1 month later...

Did you still need help? I replaced the bulbs in my xenon headlights myself, granted I was impatient and broke the washer jet clips, but I managed to do it on my own without any info. I made sure I was wearing rubber soles, and got some heavy duty rubber gloves, but did not even come near getting a shock.

There is a screw that you need to get to, behind the headlamp, it is the last one holding the headlamp in. (you get to it via the back of the headlamp, between the wing (fig.18 on the image!)), I seem to remember it was a fiddly job to get it off, and now I have left it out, because it took the longest time.

I did not take off the jets, just extended them to remove the clips! I used a fork to drag the washer jets through the bumper, and took off the painted caps, then let the washer return to it's position.

Anyway, I have got a headlamp to be replaced, and therefore, I will be doing a "How to" guide for the xenon bulbs, and headlamp removal shortly.

P.S - Peeping eyes, Xenonmaster.com - £38.50 per BRAND NEW BULB! (Maybe next time!)

Edited by mylupo

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help guys. I took a look on the 'guide' from dxg while doing the job, and if I remember right you don't need to loosen all the bolts in that guide (but almost), you don't need to remove the bumper completely...

I removed the ones you see when you open the hood holding the lights, and the three per side in the wheelwells, three under the grille, one under each plastic cover down below the numberplate on the sides... The worst ones must be the bolts at each side that holds the bumper and fenders together, they really sucks!

IMG_3352.jpg

Before and after pics maybe? :D

IMG_3353.jpg

No use to remove more then necessary...

IMG_3361.jpg

I almost threw up when I opened the cover to see how much junk there was in there in the housing. :o

IMG_3365.jpg

Here is the part that was broken in my car, 12volts in, 24000volts out or something... ;) In Sweden they call it Ballast, might be the same word in english?

IMG_3369.jpg

Made in France, makes sense, thats why they don't last more then a few years then...

EDIT: So I had to buy a new ballast, the one from the VW-dealers were expensive (but would have been much easier), so I bought a universal ballast that people uses when they want to convert their non-xenon cars to xenon. The thing is then that there will be a little fabrication and modifications to the electrical system and on the housing. And that is what I'm going out to do now, hopefully it work when I get back...

Edited by peepin_eyes

And yes, it worked! :shades:

IMG_3390.jpg

The ballast is the box close to the light, I will get better pics of it tomorrow when I'll try to mount it, if the silicone is dry by then that is... :confused: I guess that thing is a real pain in the *ss to mount also since I have to place it outside the lamphousing... :wacko:

IMG_3393.jpg

The last pics, these are from this aftenoon.

IMG_3408.jpg

Ok show and shine guys, look away. :lol: This is the bottom of the housing, I later painted the alu-plate flat black so it will last a little longer.

IMG_3411.jpg

A temporary sollution until I find a better place to mount the ballast-box.

IMG_3415.jpg

The thin cables are 12v & - in to the box. The thick cable is what comes out to the D2S xenon bulb 23000v if I understand everything right... :blink:

IMG_3419.jpg

And the car is out again, nice to hear it roar again. :o:D