Lup GTi or Cooper S?

mdubgti

im currently driving a oldschool 78 bug oh yes, but im looking to change my car lupo GTi has on my mind 24/7 for a very long time but now im swinging towards a cooper S, obviously quite a difference in price but rawr

i dono what to do :/

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go and look at the price difference for a decent spec cooper s and a decent spec loop gti! you also have to consider if you want to go with the fashionable brigade or get something unique! And if you can afford a Cooper s why not a CTR or leon cupra r?

cooper s is only a little bit quicker than loop gti due to being supercharged as well!

We're the wrong people to ask mate!

I see a bmw MIDI every two miles, I see GTis not very often, that's good enough for me, and a GTi isn't THAT much slower than an S, and you can have a GTi with leather and air for about the same price as an S with just a few options

How much is an S with met paint, leather, air and xenons

well id have my car over a cooper S, but then im bound to say that... they are just too much money when you start adding up all the extra's, basic they are 14.5k i think... and what do you get for that,best bit is 163bhp backed by a supercharger... too lardy remind me of the new Golfs... and there are soooooo many around... dare to be different get a Lupo Gti

He chose a Mini! Burn the unbeliever! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

As mentioned, its the wrong place to ask wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> But...

Advatages of a CooperS:

- Quick, easy power gains

- Great to drive, handles better than Lupo

- BMW service is better than VW

Advantages of a GTI

- Lighter, and just as quick

- Better engine (NA all the way)

- Rare

- Cheaper

i just think if u spent for instance 17k on a mini with some extra's it would decrease pretty rapidly... there are always loads for sale in the autotrader down here, if i was considering one which im not i would go for a 2nd hand one with the bits on, save yourself some money let the first time buyer suffer the worst hit

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Hi and welcome to the Loopy Bin.... I agree with the lads I have test driven both and decided to go for the loopy more fun for you pound I found and haven't looked back since december last year..

I was first bitten by the Dub Bug when I bought my lardy Golf MK3 gti and am now a Dub Convert as it sounds you are???

OR....

for the £18K or so you'd have to shell out for a mini cooper S with a reasonable resale list of options (big wheels, leather, air, metallic, stereo upgrade etc.) you could get a tidy low mileage S2000 which wouldn't loose much value at all and would give you at lease twice as many smiles per mile.

Has a cooper S on my tail last night, he was trying quite hard but i didn't even have to change down from 6th. Cruised through the bends with him behind me cutting corners and turning in early and understeering under power out of the corners, was funny to watch in the rear view mirror. Got bored after he tailgated me through a 30 limit village so I changed down 4 gears and left him for dead lol, I love this car hahahah.

Or could pick up a TVR and still have 6K left for running repairs. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

How's the chimera shopping going mate?

Had a look at one, wasn't in best nick, didn't have time to go see other one. My 8 points total drops to 5 points in 3 weeks so after that I'll be getting a move on 'specially as the weather is so nice and insurance should be cheaper. Found a price list for parts and servicing. Holy crap makes Evo look cheap, so am having second thoughts as Evo was bankrupting me! Ended up facing the oppositte way out of a roundabout yet? Learned to drift?

another 4 months and i'll be sending my license away to cet all the points cleaned off, shame the insurance remembers for 5 years rather than 4 though, only 3 so doesn't make that much difference.

Was the running costs and potential repair bills if something went bang that made me rethink, don't think you could really run an older trevor as a daily driver. S2K is surprisingly similar, almost identical view out over the bonnet but just without the chimera's slat vents. Not as fast (though you could fit a supercharger and there's lots of tuneing bits) but it's fast enough for now. Was catching motorbikes and following their overtaking moves up to oban, they didn't expect to have to check thier mirrors and move over from the oncoming lane lol. there's not much in the high power low driver aid, front engine rear wheel drive with diff layout, specially if you want a soft top. What does a second hand noble go for?

QUOTE(mdubgti)
im currently driving a oldschool 78 bug oh yes, but im looking to change my car lupo GTi has on my mind 24/7 for a very long time but now im swinging towards a cooper S, obviously quite a difference in price but rawr

i dono what to do :/

Interesting topic that comes up again and again, reacon we should do a Lupo GTi V MINI FAQ Matt!

As everyone whos been around here awhile knows, I ALWAYS wanted a GTi, from the moment I first saw one at the 2000 brum motorshow, it was love. It took 4 years (1 year of serious looking) to get one, but after looking at MINI's (Coopers and Cooper S's) and toying with the idea of a Smart Roadster, I still came to the same conclution.

The MINI's are great, they are nice to drive, and a Cooper S with those lovely 17's on and in a dark metalic they are cool as, even though they are very very very very common. The dealers are great, and a mate who had a Cooper for a year was never treated any less than royalty, even after he bought it, hard to find from VW dealers nowadays.

But, for me a couple of things swung it. Insurance for an S for me (22 yr old, no garage, couple of points) was a load more than a GTi or a Cooper, and in terms of performance gain, it didn't seem worth the cost. I toyed with the idea of a Cooper, but the Lupo trumps it if you ask me, in terms of rarity and design. A mini owner would call a lupo interior dull, and as a designer I'd call a MINI interior overly fussy and cramped, something which the smaller lupo can never be accused of.

You pays your money and stuff, and although I do love the MINI's, the GTi won for me. Though I hastened to add, if I'd had the budget for the insurance for an S and the money for the all the lovely toys you can get on a MINI (lovely intergrated sat nav etc etc) it might have been different, and as my next car, the Cooper S will still be considered for sure.

Good luck choosing.

Ive had my loop for two weeks and its the best thing since sliced bread. But I would say that as I bought it. Its some testament though when my mate came round in his charcoal grey cooper S and spent two hour poking around my car saying how ace it was. His cooper lay outside the drive like exactly what it is, a re bodied 3 series compact he he.

The cooper S is a cool car, but you see so many now its about as exclusive as a series 2 micra. If you want something inspiring and head turning that goes like stink then get a Lupo GTI

Ok guys you're gonna grill me for this!!!!!

I've just ordered an MCS for £17460

Its an 05 Model, Cooper S is now 170Bhp 220Nm Torque.

I will be adding a new intake and exhaust which will bring it upto 190BHp as other owners have done the same. Cmon guys it didn't win prizes for nothing, it is a good car.

I was thinking about getting the Lupo GTi, I test drove both cars, and can honestly tell you the Cooper S handles much better. Yes its more £££££s. The Supercharger whine is awesome guys.

I still love my VWs, just fancied a change. And no they do not look camp, have a gander at the pic below. You can fit 18s on a Cooper S no modding needed, I'm tired of my 14s 31265.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Another pic with with the BMW aero Kit fully installed.

28016.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />