Lup GTi or Cooper S?

mdubgti

Very sweet little car but if it was my 18K l'm not sure thats what l'd spend it on. You can get alot for 18K! Whats a second hand R32? hmmmm...............

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ibb1982)
Ok guys you're gonna grill me for this!!!!!

I've just ordered an MCS for 18k

Its an 05 Model, Cooper S is now 170Bhp 220Nm Torque.  

I will be adding a new intake and exhaust which will bring it upto 190BHp as other owners have done the same. Cmon guys it didn't win prizes for nothing, it is a good car.

I was thinking about getting the Lupo GTi, I test drove both cars, and can honestly tell you the Cooper S handles much better. Yes its more £££££s.  The Supercharger whine is awesome guys.

I don't think anyones actually said they are crap, which is a change, MINI's get totally hounded in this forum, but they are far from perfect. I've driven a works S and passengered in a Hartge and the Works S was woefully dissapointing, you'd have to be mad to spend 3.5k on that kit, to bring the car upto a bhp figure it should have had from launch date. Hartge kit made it feel nippy, but not mega fast.

I'm actually a fence sitter when it comes to the Lupo V MINI debate, as for one I like both cars and two they sit in slightly different class's, the GTi is more of a Cooper equal (or not as the case may be) whereas the S is a CTR rival. If I'd got an 18k budget I would probably have gone for the S like you, as for that cash you can get a very tasty spec, most peoples new Lupo's come out at about 13k which is directly up against a Cooper.

When are you taking delivery of your S then? Have you had the new three spoke steering wheel? Its so much better than the crappy original dinner plate one. What colour too, and most importantly, what toys biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> ?

it is was brand new at that money id go for a Leon Cupra R for the same money... but then again there are a list of cars id have instead, Clio Cup, Lupo Gti, Type R... but good luck to you mate my friend has one and absolutely loves it, id just say keep hold of it for a a good few years so you dont loose so much money... quite a lot people decide to see them 6 months later which is definately not a good idea

very nice pic of a Cooper S ^^ but i do agree there is something about the lupo. The fact that they are so rare does is a big Plus! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Ill stick with the lupo then i think.

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> In the Style of homer Simpson(no i'm not serious often)

MMMM Loooopo mmmmm Faaaaab

Me to prefer loopy cos it's much different :arrow:

Plus if we compare it to its real rival 'The Cooper' then it really does just kick ass. I refer you to performance VW when my bro and elliot tested the cooper and the Lupo and with the GPS system the GTi was over a second quicker to 60. Hell we rock! :!:

I guess the New Mini Cooper S is a good car - I'm just one of the ones who was eagerly awaiting it & bitterly disappointed that it wasnt Mini at all. I think the Lupo has more of the original Mini's spirit, whereas the new Mini would still be a good car if it was removed from the 'Mini' franchise.

It just aint a Mini.

PS LOL@Twisty's camp joke! Ironic how we slag off other cars & call them gay, when we're in Lupos!

yeah as you rightly point out that is the Lupo's main rival, along with a T sport Yaris, Pug 106 Gti, Saxo VTS, Polo Gti...

mmm what would i have biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

If there was a factory Lupo, with option for 1.8T & under 18k... well, THAT would be a true competitor for the Cooper S.

Lets start the campaign!! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Talking of citroens, anyone had any traffic light grand prix with any C2 VTR's or GT's?

My stepsister is getting a C2 of some sort (tried to steer her into a used MINI one but to no avail) and I'm at least trying to get her into a slightly 'cooking' model.

yeah i did actually C2 VTR about 6 weeks ago tried overtaking me just as you leave a 30mph zone... what a mistake that was, foot down see you later off i went... there is a lad around here with one, stares at me all the time, trying to give it the large one... i feel another Lupo victim coming on

That flappy ****y gear box has got to be a right pain in the ass, if I was in the market for a VTR I'd so go for the GT with the manual, I saw one parked and the white wheels do look smart.

QUOTE(zippy)
If there was a factory Lupo, with option for 1.8T & under 18k... well, THAT would be a true competitor for the Cooper S.

Lets start the campaign!!   laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Zippy I fink it would a...a...a (i can't spell it so i will sound it out) a nile ate it

its going to be weird for me. joining the water cooled community heh.

i feel ashamed for all my fellow aircooled club members will be fuming tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

QUOTE(AndyW)

When are you taking delivery of your S then? Have you had the new three spoke steering wheel? Its so much better than the crappy original dinner plate one. What colour too, and most importantly, what toys  :D ?

The new 05 model has a few more changes the Xenons have changed, theres been tweaks in the storage insdie, the power gains are up, 2 new colours.

I'm waiting till Sept for mine, mine actually comes to £17460. I could've had the 04 model but from the 1st of July the new 05 revised MINIs are launched. I'm off on holdiay from June till Aug soo the long wait isn't too bad.

The steering wheel I tried was the "Chilli Pack" leather one, and it was nice, could do with being abit more sporty, but its nice still.

Toys wise I'm sticking my current ICE(see my sig) in there, and am thinking about getting a SATnav+DVD or just DVD `flip-out` screen HU.

I've just ordered a set of Eibachs which lowers the MCS by 33mm and will be looking to get some of those 18x7 OZ Superleggera wheels as shown in my pic in my earlier post. Oh and the body kit aswell ass seen in the pic.

Getting a 2nd hand more powerful car would be slightly outa of the question for me regarding my age, I can get the Cooper S at 1k fully comp. So compared to the other options its slightly cheaper insurance wise.

QUOTE(twisty `b-road`)
Are they the three piece OZs?

Ouch they are pricey  :shock:

Heck I can't afford the 18x8 3pieces they cost £1600 without tyres.

Getting the 18x7 wheels which retail fom around £900-£1300, they're nice and light too at 7.5kg, further increasing performance.

QUOTE(EssexLoop)
if it was 180BHP for 18k... too damn right id have one

My MCS will cost £17460 with an intake system fitted it will be 179bhp, so still under 18k can't be bad.

Now 180 in a Lupo would be fab!