Leak!! Help

Went to car today and discovered my drivers side seat was wet : mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> Looked up and the corner of the roof lining was wet. So I guess it is coming in from the corner of the window screen.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Went to car today and discovered my drivers side seat was wet : mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> Looked up and the corner of the roof lining was wet. So I guess it is coming in from the corner of the window screen.

Has this happened to anyone else?

My seats never got wet but if I parked on a slope and it rained the a-pillar would get water drops on it and there would be a puddle in the footwell, turned out the windscreen was in the corner.

Had to have a new windscreen in the end, its possible to take the old one out and re-set it in but its difficult without breaking it apparently.

The way to test is put a hosepipe corner of the windscreen then look inside the car to see if its leaking.

Might be worth pulling up the roof strips and checking under there but I doubt the roof would have rusted all the way through.

My seats never got wet but if I parked on a slope and it rained the a-pillar would get water drops on it and there would be a puddle in the footwell, turned out the windscreen was in the corner.

Had to have a new windscreen in the end, its possible to take the old one out and re-set it in but its difficult without breaking it apparently.

The way to test is put a hosepipe corner of the windscreen then look inside the car to see if its leaking.

Might be worth pulling up the roof strips and checking under there but I doubt the roof would have rusted all the way through.

How come people say they rust under the roof strips? they are galavnised so they shouldnt rust wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

Sound like what happening here how much was it ?

It could be, its the only place i can thing it would be.

Luckily Jon went to the same company who replaced his window before he got his car, so it was still covered by the warranty. I think a new window would be around £200, and it often breaks when its removed, so the man said, so it could be costly.

How come people say they rust under the roof strips? they are galavnised so they shouldnt rust wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

It could be, its the only place i can thing it would be.

Luckily Jon went to the same company who replaced his window before he got his car, so it was still covered by the warranty. I think a new window would be around £200, and it often breaks when its removed, so the man said, so it could be costly.

surely it will be covered on your insurance if it got a chip or broken wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

think it costs me £60 for windscreens on insurance

surely it will be covered on your insurance if it got a chip or broken wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

think it costs me £60 for windscreens on insurance

Yes if it is chipped or broken, but not if the rubber seal has gone, like in jons case. A chip wont cause a leak, unless its right through the screen wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

• 5 months later...

I have this problem :angry:

Heavy rain the past 3 days and its parked on the drive all running into the leaking corner.

Anyone know if its a blocked drainage hole or is it the windscreen seal like Chris suggested?

Is there a way to tell if its had a new screen and not been put in properly?

Cheers

Mat :confused:

see if the glass has og vw markings?

i just did a lupo that had a soaking wet floor ,the scuttle tray drain holes were blocked and water overflowing into the heater panel.

tinted windscreens (none vw ) £120

Is there a way to tell if its had a new screen and not been put in properly?

Check to see if there is a sticker at the top of the screen warning of the passenger airbag. It's a clear sticker with black writing, just a bit bigger than a credit card. The 2 replacement screens I've had in my lupos didn't come with the sticker.

I think i have that sticker. I left the car at work tonight in the dry so it will dry off a bit and i can have a proper look.

All the windows have the same markings on them. Cant remember what but its somthing like pilkington???

The windscreen still had the first service sticker in the top corner but the garage could have stuck that on when i bought it.

Sounds to me like you have the original windscreen. I can't imagine the garage going to the trouble of swapping the service stickers over. When I first realised mine was leaking I started to reverse park on the drive, it works as a temporary cure!

Anyone know if its a blocked drainage hole or is it the windscreen seal like Chris suggested?

Cheers

Mat :confused:

Yep as i said its probably just the seal.

If you can then neatly put some clear or black sealent in the gap you say there is.

Or take it to a windscreen place and they will leak test it and tell you where its coming from.

:)

I found some 3 year old mastic in the garage but it had gone hard in the tube :blush:

Will get some tomorrow and give it a squirt.

Will try and reverse on the drive but its on a slope at a 45 degree angle between a fiesta and a Porsche :blink:

I put a little bit of clear sealent in the gap yesterday. There was not much of a gap though.

And the drive to work this morning......I got wet! :angry:

Im going to park it in the unit later today and looking at it, if you take the sun visor off the roof lining will drop down in the corner.

Then chuck some water over it!

All fun and games eh?

And for Chris....It started fine today :wacko::shades:

Ah not good, thught that would have fixed it, unless the seal is broken further down the window, but i carnt see that happening by what you have described.

Does it happen more when the caqr is parked or does it leak in when your driving in the rain too?

Only other option is take it to a windscreen place and get them to test it. They will seal it again by taking out the window, but it could be expensive, especially if it breaks when the remove it!

Ive had the roof lining off for 2 seconds to have a quick look. The windscreen seal seems ok on the inside. To me it looks like its coming in from that strip that runs the length of the roof. There are little square holes towards the windscreen that you could see through if you took the stip off. Has anyone had to replace these before? :wacko:

The water only comes in when its been sat for a few hours. Not when driving :huh:

Edit-Why didnt this happen a few months agao when it was in warrenty!

Edited by M4T VW

Easy way to test this (as they do at windscreen places) grab your bucket & fairy liquid & go to your local garage that has a free airline, mix up a weakish mixture of water & fairy liquid & run it round the edge of the screen, then using the airline blow air around the edge of the glass from the inside (stand outside & put your hand in to do this). Any gaps in the seal will show up where bubbles start appearing ;)

There shoudnt be any holes in the roof gutter under the roof trim should there :confused:

Im sure i havent got any on mine, and since the roof trim isnt usually a tight fit and if you say the holes are open then there is something funny about that!

Oh good that it started too, maybe just because you had not used it for a couple of days, although thats a sign that the battery could be on its way out.

Mine are not stuck. They slide up and down the channel. To me they seem abount an inch too short as there is a gap at the back when its slid right in the corner of the windscreen.

I will try and take some pics :blink:

Mine are the full length and there are no gaps.

Although mine (being an arosa) has plastic trims on the roof, unlike lupos which i think are metal.

I had to stick one ofmine down as it blew out on the motorway on the way to ed38 :lol:

Yeah get somepics up to give us more of a clue :)