Lupo / Polo / Alu

DanGTI

Since advertising my Lupo GTI (see cars for sale section!) I have had plenty of questions about it but one person has insisted that the Lupo GTI cannot have aluminium wings, doors & bonnet "because the Polo GTI doesnt".....

obviously the Lupo does have alu but doesnt the Polo?

One just has to read the online reviews to find out about the alloy panels on the Lupo, so whoever is asking, must be a numbskull!

Keep your car.

We are running the Arosa as a daily and keeping the GTi for weekends and distances. Only thing I miss when going to the Arosa is the remote locking!

Amazing how quickly one gets used to it!

Ray

PS and when I want to put my foot down!

The Polo doesn't have Aluminium panels because it's has a bigger rear end and therefore the weight distribution was significantly ok for VW to not need to bother. The Lupo has no rear end and therefore with the heavier front engine needed some lightening up down that end to help the balance of weight front to back.

would love to keep it but can't justify the expense of keeping it just for it to stay on the drive......I may even buy another one at some point - its such an awesome car. I find it hard to understand why it doesnt appeal to more people.

Our Arosa has a few extras incl remote locking so its not bad in that respect - just that its complete lack of power is sometimes frustrating.

The Lupo has no rear end and therefore with the heavier front engine needed some lightening up down that end to help the balance of weight front to back.

what heavier front engine?

the GTI motor will be no heavier than a sport one..

no its cast iron, but with an alloy head. its a heavy lump. thats why they lightened up the front with alu panels.

Oh right, thats what i must have read and then i got mixed up.

is the 1.4 an iron block aswell?

gti is heavier also upfront from 6 speed box. bigger driveshafts/flywheel/clutch probably.

early gtis were 5 speed no?

difference in the weight of driveshafts? whatever next, extra vw badge on the air filter? major difference there

early gtis were 5 speed no?

difference in the weight of driveshafts? whatever next, extra vw badge on the air filter? major difference there

indeed you are correct early gti were 5 speed.

and shortly after the early ones came the later ones, which were 6 speed. we were to late for the 4 speed ones, and we are yet to have the 7 speed ones. the 3 speed ones are right out.

i think if you had a vw badge on the air filter it might do the engine a disservice in the way it breathes, you would probably loose some ponies.

if that is option then i certainly would not choose it.

yes.....

gram saving is a multi million £ technical area. driveshaft weights can vary by 1000's of grams.

indeed such is the power of grams, that 5 of the buggers can balance a wheel at kwik fit.

Edited by qually