coilovers stuck solid!

Matty_Gti

hi guys, well i wanted to raise the front of my gti as i have just purchased it and the rear is running higher than the front. got one side done fine but the other side is stuck solid! we tried everything inc a 24" monkey wrench with 2 big guys behind it! also a hammer and chissel! so any ideas? its been soaked in penetrating fluid for ages aswel

would it be an option to take the strut off and heat the adjusting ring up to expand it so it will move or am i going to damage what evers inside the damper?

other wise it looks like i need new collies angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

p.s they are FK highsports

Edited by matty_206

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> my highsports are stuck at the front aswell , i ended up with a coilover spanner and a large lump hammer and they still werent for moving , im thinkin heat but im the same in thinkin will i screw the shockie by doing so

Not sure on the best way to free it up, but once you have, make sure you coat them in some lithium grease or similar.

bigger hammer it is then laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

edit*

or soak in wd40 and leave it to soak in and light it , hopefully the oil burning off very fast will be enough to crack the rust

Edited by one litre wonder ;)

gently heat the locator ring but not too much as alloy melts easy shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

you can buy corners individually so a single unit replacement is an option if you have no luck.

very interested in this option, where would i be able to buy another? rough price? its drivers front side if that helps at all?

I have just had to get a corner and its near £200! I would keep applying the penetrating oil, and give it alittle heat with a electric paint stipper heat gun.

well i am going to have another go tomorrow weather permitting. where did you get your new corner from? £200 is an awful lot! i would be debating weather just to put the money towards a new set some with adjustable damping.

the heat gun will be on tomorrow morning and fingers crossed

don't think some of you understood how stuck it was, it was literally stuck solid, i bent the c spanner which was pretty much useless, there was no way this was coming loose while on the car. fixed it today anyhow; ended up taking the unit off the car and taking all spring off etc and then got a 3foot monkey wrench on it and a heat gun, what a nightmare!!! all smeared in copper grease now.

i have now totally messed up the camber and tracking tho, will a local garage do this? its booked in for a full service and cam belt on fri at vw so should i ask them to do it? will they charge extra?

Sorted mine last weekend. Highsports fitted to the gti about 2 yrs ago and never adjusted. They looked rotten but I cleaned them and then soaked them in Plus-Gas for about 2 hours. I then put the C-spanners on and tapped away with a hammer. Took me about 25mins per side to free them and so I lowered it another 10mm!!