which coilovers to go for and how low??

Matty_Gti

well i am looking to buy a gti in the very near future and wont be able to keep it on standard suspension for v long so just wondering which of the coilover set ups would be best for me.

i am after a nice ride, smooth as poss so would like adjustable damping but have a budget to stick to so don't wnat to be spending the earth.

also my current car is an absolute speed bump no-goer! its farr too low due to my bodykit but i need to be able to tackle the dreaded speed bumps in my lupo so just wondering roughly how low i can go but am able to get over speed bumps?

p.s. this is my first post so hello all, i'm matt from scunthorpe, anyone living around my area? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

On lowness....just fit them, and fiddle with the height till its as low as you can go before you hit the speedbump laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Its that technical

Well, the principle is still the same...'lower coilovers, hit bump, up a bit, clear bump, sorted'. Depends on how big your speedbumps are too - I have mine down only a 1/3 of the threads, and thats about as low as I can set them!

KW's will go plenty low enough on the front of a GTI.

I'd prefer a bit more adjustment on the rear. I've got it to a nice level with the adjusters out, but I'd like to be able to do it with the adjusters in.

KW Varient 1's (height adjustment only) will set you back £600. Not sure how much the Varient 2's (with adjustable damping) are though, but I think it's a fair whack more.

Want ride quality avoid the Fk,s and avoid the gmax gear,

you are going to spend a fair whack more than you did on the 206 as on yours when you buy coilies your only getting 2 front units and 2 rear shockers whereas on the lupo.arosa your buying 2 front units, 2 rear shockers and 2 rear adjustable alloy blocks which bolt to the rear beam and have adjuster rings so basically the same principle as the fronts my mate with his 206 HDi gets his kits a fair bit cheaper than i can with mine for this very reason

Also to make you aware on some of the coilover kits for our cars it requires you to remove the rear dampers to adjust the damping which many find annoying

and nic (lunalupi) saids it so well its simple lower it, if it scrapes then either higher it or do as i do and do a 3 mile detour every day to avoid the speed humps rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

wayne

Edited by The subtle modder

If you want adjustable damping the obvious choices are FK Koenigsports or KW V2's, not sure if the H&R coilovers are damping adjustable, but they're not cheap. For £400 you can pick up Jamex (which have stainless fronts) or FK Highsports. If you spend a bit more you could pick up some FK Silverlines.

I'm running FK silverlines (Highsports with stainless bodies) and i can honestly say the ride isn't really that harsh. For £450 you can't really knock them, yes they are a bit bumpy on the rougher roads and avoid any potholes, but apart from that they are fine.

As far as speed bumps go, you won't be able to lower it enough where you can't get over the average size ones as the driveshaft will knock on the chassis leg before you get it that low.

i have fk konigsports on my gti and they are set to the least stiff setting.

they are still stiff though! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> i quite like it but others do not!

it handles nice and clears everything at about 60mm on the back and about 30/40mm on the front. its just right if you ask me on height.

i dont think id worry to much on the adjustable damping on them. they are usually the same as fixed ones on their softest. They will just get harder laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

• 3 weeks later...
I'm running FK silverlines (Highsports with stainless bodies) and i can honestly say the ride isn't really that harsh.

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> you dont have them set low enough then laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> i was almost travel sick with the Highsports and I WAS DRIVING!!!

You must have been pissed then! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> I really do find them fine, ok, if the road is bumpy you are going to feel it, but majority of time they are fine for me.

Lets face it, if you buy coilovers they aren't going to be for comfort! All this moaning about Fk's being uncomfortable, pah! You're obviously all tarts with soft backsides laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

EDIT: Ooh my horrific spelling!

Edited by Max69vk