manual handling at work

emo_gazz

Am I right in thinking that I can refuse to lift heavy objects at work until I receive a manual handling course.

In the 2 years ive worked for the NHS ive yet to have had this course. And ive been to the physio 3 times about my back. Ive asked many times to do this course but still nothing.

Ive also yet to have my fire lecture or any other course that I potentially need.

That’s the NHS for ya rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I was, at least in my last job, a health and safety manager/trainer. the maximum is 25 kg to lift. pm me of line and ill give you my number if you have any questions.

Regards

Angelo

Yep, When I was at comet we had the 'traffic light system'. Anything over 20kg ( rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> ) was a red light and you should lift with assistance. It never happened, but there you go.

However if you feel you are causing yourself harm you are well within your rights to say no, and either ask for assistance, or for proper equipment to do so, such as a genie lift for getting heavy objects above your head

Edited by Joe

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

In my day, manual handling was work!

when i ran a warehouse at the weekends i was lifting washing machines which average 70kg each when i was 16-18 years old laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Am I right in thinking that I can refuse to lift heavy objects at work until I receive a manual handling course.

In the 2 years ive worked for the NHS ive yet to have had this course. And ive been to the physio 3 times about my back. Ive asked many times to do this course but still nothing.

Ive also yet to have my fire lecture or any other course that I potentially need.

That’s the NHS for ya rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I started working for the NHS in June last year and by July I had had my manual handling and Fire prevention training. In our introduction manuals it does say that we can contact our manual handling department if we feel that we should not be lifting something. All we have to do is let them know what the object is and roughly how heavy and they will send the correct equipment for either us to move or a member of their team to move, so I would say yes to refusing to move something that is too heavy.

my job would be in possible if i said no to lifting over 25kg i work at a woood yard and have to lift 6meter peaces of 4"x4" red wood and they are bloody heavy

best stuff we do is 6"x12" 6m i can only just hold it but we dont do them that much wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

Luppie ive requested a MH course over 4 times now and the manager is doin feck all about it. Even the physiotherapist has contacted her to say i need the course.

Think im gonna go the doctors and tell him bout ma back. Prob get light lifting duties.

Luppie ive requested a MH course over 4 times now and the manager is doin feck all about it. Even the physiotherapist has contacted her to say i need the course.

Think im gonna go the doctors and tell him bout ma back. Prob get light lifting duties.

balls to that, tell them you have done your back in and sue em that will teach him to listen.

Reckon the heaviest thing I have to lift at work is a bottle of wine. huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

I work on my own in the winter and have to life Railway sleepers and stuff on my own. Its never bothered me too much, but I know if I hurt myself lifting they would pay for my time off.

Insist on a date you can have the training if not you will be forced to apply for another job or take it further. Can't you speak to Occupational Health about it if you have already injured your back and tell them your manager does not want to know when you ask about official training as you have to have it in the NHS by law.

that's crazy, my girlfriend works for the NHS (in an office) and she's done it three times that i know of

Snap. I work in the IT section of a council and have done it once and rarely lift anything heavy (the occasional printer or server but that's it).

No manual handling work should be carried out without first carrying out a risk assessment. Part of the control measures would probably be Manual Handling training to ensure anyone who carries out Manual Handling is trained in proper lifting techniques to minimise the risk of injury.

Ask to see the Risk Assessment. Then if it mentions training you are quite within your rights to refuse to carry out any Manual Handling until trained, currently your employer is in breach of the Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992.

Regulation 4 requires employers to avoid manual handling operations which involve risk of employees being injured, as far as reasonably practicable and where manual handling cannot be avoided, to carry out risk assessments and introduce alternatives to manual handling, control measures and appropriate training.