Born before 1986???

Mr ColinG

Born in '78 & thats bought back a few memories. I still remember my first computer a Commodore 16 a machine so poor the games came on a cassette tape, also remember cycling everywhere on my Mongoose BMX (do they still even exist now?!).

... and she now rings me just to check i'm ok as shes seen a amblance go passed.

Anyone that knows you would think the same, your a danger to yourself laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

these are spokey dokeys on the CL bikes wheels garth1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

i love that pic he's trying so hard to be cool laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

1970 vintage.

I remember...

fitting cowhorns on my racing bike when I went to secondary school to make it cool,

going to Roller City in Rochdale and coming back with bruises and blisters,

my old narrow skateboard with wide, clear wheels,

getting a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k for Christmas in 1982,

how heavy a Raleigh Burner was compared to a Mongoose,

there not being anything on telly (literally) until the afternoon,

having to watch Swap Shop instead of Tiswas because my Mum said so,

my Dad filling an E-type with 5 star petrol,

and the local soap box derby.

As a '72 kid let me just add:

pulling wheelies on a Raleigh Budgie

arguing about which was better, a Grifter or a Chopper

playing games on the Atari console and thinking how cool they were

arguing about which was better, a Spectrum or a C64

Reading Zap-64

watching the news in 84 when it was the changeover from Y to A

*sob* the memories make me cry.... I was born in the sixties (just)

Playing on building sites, riding bikes off scaffolding. Rope swings, Budgie, Chopper and Griffin bikes. I had a ZX80, Camputers Lynx, Oric & a Dragon 32 etc. 'Cheeky' comics... before they merged which 'Whizzer & Chips'

Who remembers Wordy from school TV? School milk.. 'O' Levels!!!!

I'll just go and grab my zimmer frame now....

71 mate building sites were the best playgrounds ever no stupid soft rubber mats to land on like nowadays.

...Mongoose BMX (do they still even exist now?!).

I know that my mongoose doesn't exist anymore, blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> my folks bought it for me 3rd hand!! for my sixth birthday, it was ace, my dad had sprayed it the same colour as our mk1 golf he had at the time, metallic blue, i had it for time, then in a fit of stupidity i sold it to a mate at school for a fiver! Gutted!

I bought another bmx off my sisters mate a few years later, still have it, needs fixing up, bloody hard to ride now though.

I had a Grifter and a Chopper, but does anyone remember the Raleigh Bomber??

Building sites were the best playgrounds ever and they were safe, they had sand and night watchmen with gammie legs that didnt have a hope of catching you, no heras fencing then laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Commodore 64 with the tape player for loading games.

In 1983 my mate was Atari World Champion playing Pacman laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Born in '69 so I was out working by '86 ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

lol was born in 85 and and that was all tru till i was around 12....tis when i got my playstation(i think) went downhill from there lol

agree with all that shiit tho theyremakin excuses for kids today theyre just ****in lazy altho wen we were yunger there wasnt exactly junkies wandering around tryin tos teal the stuff outta ur pockets and the likes..

Posting on behalf of my girlfriend Chloe :

Youths can never win. No matter what generation we talk about, the one before them always slags the recent generation off.

For example: "We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99

channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile

phones, no personal computers, no DVDs, no Internet chat rooms.

We had friends - we went outside and found them. "

Youths cant win. If they stay inside and play computer games they are not as sociable and the generation before was. If they go outside and hang around in "packs of 7" they are classed as annoying youths or chavs or hoodies and they should all have curfews and stop irritating the respectable residents.

Also, "We played chap-the-door-run-away and were actually afraid of the

owners catching us. " this is still true of nowadays....quite often we have a massive group of lads that knock our door and basically cause trouble just so my dad will chase them down the street.

"We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mummy

or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner. " - believe it or not communities change. More houses get built over the decades and the distance from houses to schools may then be longer. We are no longer small, close communities, causing a change in lifestyle.

"This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem

solvers and inventors, ever. " This is true but there will always be risk takers, problem solvers and inventers. Despite all the criticisms about computer games, they can actually encourage strategy skills and problem solving, and with the new generation being exposed to so much technology, there will always be progression, new ideas, and therefore inventions.

"This my friends, is surprisingly frightening......and it might put a

smile on your face:

The majority of students in universities today were born in 1986

They are called youth.

They have never heard of We are the World, We are the children, and

the Uptown Girl they know is by Westlife not Billy Joel. They have

never heard of Rick Astley, Bananarama, Nena Cherry or Belinda

Carlisle.

For them, there has always been only one Germany and one Vietnam.

AIDS has existed since they were born. CD's have existed since they

were born.

Michael Jackson has always been white.

To them John Travolta has always been round in shape and they can't

imagine how this fat guy could be a god of dance. "

It may come as a suprise but younger generations and their access to the internet means that they can learn about all the things you mention above. As for the music...younger generations cant help it if they were born in a different year ....im sure they would like you to name some of their favourite current bands (i think you will also find that old cheesy music is also still popular with these youths). As for the stuff on Vietnam and Germany, if they go to university they will have access to this history...oh wait..theres also tinternet too....isnt it wonderful.

In conclusion, as we get old it is inevitable that we will get nostalgic about our own childhood and claim that they were the golden days. We will complain about society and particularly youths themselves as a side affect of this nostalgia. Sorry but I myself am an 80's child but i dont agree that things are getting worse. They just change, and people dont like change. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> (and it annoyed me a bit that no one piped up)

Born in '61...

...nuff said! Left home to join the Marines in '78!

Colin '69, you're a sprog!

Oh now where did I put my zimmer...

wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

Born in '61...

...nuff said! Left home to join the Marines in '78!

Colin '69, you're a sprog!

Oh now where did I put my zimmer...

wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

haha your as old as my mum laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Posting on behalf of my girlfriend Chloe :

It may come as a suprise but younger generations and their access to the internet means that they can learn about all the things you mention above. As for the music...younger generations cant help it if they were born in a different year ....im sure they would like you to name some of their favourite current bands (i think you will also find that old cheesy music is also still popular with these youths). As for the stuff on Vietnam and Germany, if they go to university they will have access to this history...oh wait..theres also tinternet too....isnt it wonderful.

In conclusion, as we get old it is inevitable that we will get nostalgic about our own childhood and claim that they were the golden days. We will complain about society and particularly youths themselves as a side affect of this nostalgia. Sorry but I myself am an 80's child but i dont agree that things are getting worse. They just change, and people dont like change. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> (and it annoyed me a bit that no one piped up)

Youth of today can be very serious laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

haha your as old as my mum laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Where do you live? I did a lot of travelling about, often waking in strange womens beds!

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Where do you live? I did a lot of travelling about, often waking in strange womens beds!

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Nice comeback!! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Loving all these comments! They're ace! Im only an '81 child.......We had ZX Spectrum with the disks and cassettes!!! It was the BO**OCKS!

Spokie Dokies! Had loads! (Temped to get some on my bike now!!) blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Anyone remember those reflectors that you put on your bike spokes, out of the frostie packets, where Tony Tigers belly was a refector! Loved them!

Also, one lasting memory was the fact that our local park was made on concrete! We had one of those massive roundabouts that was made of steel, it used to go sooooooo fast!!!!! They ripped it out by the 90's! angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

does anyone remember the Raleigh Bomber??

Sure do, the fore runner to the mountain bike, single or three speed.

I had a Raleigh Commando and a Chopper too. I bought the Chopper of a school mate for 30pence (really) and sold it for £15 about two months later, I was too big for it and preferred the racer with cowhorns.

I also remember the intense rivalry between the Speccy and C64 owners. C64 owners had multi coloured sprites, but forgot that their tape decks were so crap, loading games was a nightmare.

Fat kids, food intolerances and asthma were rare and exotic back then. ADHD wasn't even invented, the kid was either thick, naughty or both. Girls were skinny without 'muffin tops' and bellies, and there was hardly any diet food in the shops. How does that work?

and what about KATHARINE20HAMNETT20-20FRANKIE20SAY.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Edited by IDGM

Anyone remember those reflectors that you put on your bike spokes, out of the frostie packets, where Tony Tigers belly was a refector! Loved them!

I REMEMBER THEM!!! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Hee Hee!

x Kim x

I had a bbc micro with a disk drive, envy of all the tape loading spectrum boys biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> though amazing to think we bought magazines with thousands of lines of code and spent days typing it all in only to write your own bat and ball game or some such lol.

530Board_Page%=MAIN_PAGE%

540SYS "OS_ReadMonotonicTime" TO Quit%

550Quit%=RND(-Quit%)

560Quit%=FALSE

570First_Tile%=0

580Last_Tile%=0

590blanks_in_play%=0

600window_move_x%=0

610window_move_y%=0

620Flash_Tiles%=0

650REM ====== RESERVE DATA AREAS ============

670DIM wimpspace% 9000 :REM the wimp data block

680DIM menuspace%15000 :REM the menu data

690DIM workspace% 9000 :REM indirected text etc

700DIM fontspace% 256 :REM font handle data

710DIM grfxspace%50000 :REM sprites

etc...

I had a bbc micro with a disk drive, envy of all the tape loading spectrum boys biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> though amazing to think we bought magazines with thousands of lines of code and spent days typing it all in only to write your own bat and ball game or some such lol.

etc...

Nice! We did the same....on our speccy. We made a bat and ball game and a very basic tune!!!!!!!!!!!!! Neighbours tune i think it was!!! blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> i couldn't quote the code though....which you have! quite worrying! cheers for your comment on the other thread though! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> seems you've got a bit of a reputation! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Nice! We did the same....on our speccy. We made a bat and ball game and a very basic tune!!!!!!!!!!!!! Neighbours tune i think it was!!! blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> i couldn't quote the code though....which you have! quite worrying! cheers for your comment on the other thread though! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> seems you've got a bit of a reputation! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

don't worry i couldn't quote the code either, just a quick google copy and paste. What reputation is this, first i've heard? rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />