really are new toyo tyres out

Clouseau

ok it was mentioned awhile back about possible new toyo performance tyres coming out, and now they are present on the toyo website.

"The optimised shoulder design and mediate block distribution are allied to a stable centre rib for excellent cornering and directional stability in dry conditions. The unique 'W' shape tread pattern with diagonal grooves effectively disperses water for benign wet-weather handling.

The advanced compound of the Proxes 4 combines low road noise with extremely high levels of grip and traction "

62st.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

smallest size is a 15" as a 195/50/15 so would be suitable for a lupo gti. worth a consideration.

no no plans to make that size. 195/50 is about the same % difference from standard as the 195/45, but going bigger instead of smaller. a tiny % really.

here is the not so new R888 but is an even better tyre.

R888%20Image.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

"Our new track day tyre is the road legal Proxes R888. Design by our motorsport team using high tech computer systems has resulted in an outstanding compound that delivers perfect results in the dry and wet. The medium soft compound has performed significantly better than soft compound competitor tyres."

again though only 195/50/15 for lupo gti fitment.

Edited by qually

i dont think the profile is that high. an f1 car looks sporty and that has profiles about foot high.

i think i would like it as it would give some extra give to compensate for the extra hardness of the uprated suspension i have.

If someone drove past me in an F1 car i'd point and laugh like nelson out of the simpsons... Likewise if i saw a GTI on Doughnut tyres...

on my gti the 50 profiles that were on the standard rims when i bought it scubbed like holy s**t on the inner arch with standard suspension

the 45 profiles did not and still do not now lowered on the coilovers.

i really would not recommend 50 profile to anyone they were a pain in the ass!!

50's on my lupo rubbed like mad on full lock, so wouldn't use those again! 45's, however, are fine, with about the right sidewall ratio to keep the ride decent and the non-moonbuggy looks!

well that really suprises me and i dont understand how it happens. i have 205/45/15 and lowered 30mm with no problems, so how can a 195/50 with no drop rub when there will be more clearance in both width and in height as tyre wall is not 30mm taller than 45 profile. unless its to do with standard suspension travel, in which case if the if the car is lowered it wont bounce so much and more clearance is generated. when the time comes i will give the 50's a try and learn the hard way if necessary.

well that really suprises me and i dont understand how it happens. i have 205/45/15 and lowered 30mm with no problems, so how can a 195/50 with no drop rub when there will be more clearance in both width and in height as tyre wall is not 30mm taller than 45 profile. unless its to do with standard suspension travel, in which case if the if the car is lowered it wont bounce so much and more clearance is generated. when the time comes i will give the 50's a try and learn the hard way if necessary.

i thought the same thing to be honest but i can assure you they were terrible on my standard gti. i really would only go for a 45 profile smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

In reverse gear on full lock?

Strange how every GTI Ive been in did!

Nope mine was fine. Funnily enough VW fitted a tyre that wouldnt cause any problems to the standard car, funny that rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Nope mine was fine. Funnily enough VW fitted a tyre that wouldnt cause any problems to the standard car, funny that rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

mine is fine on full lock with the 45's on. it used to rub on full lock with 50's but none at all with the 45's smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...
just an update to this toyo has just released a super soft compound of the R888 tyre. available in 195/50/15. described as the ultimate in dry weather grip for legal use.

But we have already been through this that a 195/50/15 is useless on a GTI.

some people say it is, some people are fine with it. look at the guy from sweden with the yoko 195/50/15 he has already had them before and was happy with them. far from useless i think.

i'm not sure why there are differences between different peoples reports when the car should be the same, but i know of the same thing happening on other makes of car aswell, some people have tyres that scrub other people use them and they are fine. could be down to makes of tyre, weight in car....?

Edited by qually

It will be down to brands of tyres in the end.

I had 195/45 on my old Fiat when I brought it, they were cheapo Ventus tyres and didn't scrub at all. I replaced them with Goodyear GSD3 195/45 (the same size in theory) and they scrubbed like hell...