Test drove a Swift Sport

Swoxy

And I think I'm in love! Stopped into a dealer to have a look as I still have fond memories from my Suzuki days, and was offered to take one out for a drive ...

side2hi.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

First impressions? It looks absolutely gorgeous. The black detailing in the front bumper looks great and the deep air damns were filled with that lovely back honeycomb stuff à la Lupo GTI. Chunky 17"s, a rear spoiler and twin exhausts reminded me Euro isn't always the way forward. The interior has come a long way from Suzukis of late and I was impressed by the big, comfortable seats. Little touches such as the red stitched leather steering wheel and gaiter as well as the drilled metal pedals reminded me I was in something special. The car comes really well specced as standard with an integrated CD/MP3 player, climate control and keyless start. On the safety side the salesman assured me there were six airbags, ESP and switchable traction control. Fancy touches aside, the plastics were good although not as good as the lovely Lupo mottled dash.

Since it was literally a brand new car I didn't get a chance to take it for a proper blast although I thoroughly enjoyed the few miles I had. You sit higher up than in most small cars, although not as high as the Fox. The stats said 125 bhp and 0 - 60 in 8.9 secs and although the car wasn't yet run in it felt pretty damn nippy. It also took corners really well too, something to do with uprated suspension according to the salesman. Road noise and general refinement were on par with the new Corsa, which is fine for a supermini, and from outside especially the engine note was lovely.

Overall I'd definitely consider one of these if I was in the market for a warm hatch. Priced at £11.5k brand new with all the kit it's gotta be worth considering although I don't know if I'd want to spend all that money on a Suzuki. It might be more tempting once it's a few years old, however it's worth pointing out although stock was scare the dealer seemed well up for a deal. When I finally get my hands on a Lupo GTI, I hope I enjoy it this much ...

front1og.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

back4mm.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

interior5ru.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Edited by Swoxy

I like it, I'm not sure I'd buy one as theres bits of the styling I'm not so keen on, but for the price and performance you can't complain. I've sat in a lesser model and it seemed pretty well screwed together too.

EVO seemed to like it, and said they came out of it grinning, which is my major buying criteria. Looks pretty good in silver too...

car_photo_208971_5.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

How much are these, 10k?

personally if i was looking for that type of thing i'd go for the mitsi colt turbo.

Someone on here test drove one once I seem to remember and thought it was pretty dull. Decent engine, excellent build, but zero character.

I really like the look of it, lots of detail that make you want it. If buying new, as with any other motor you'd be thinking what it would be worth in 3 years...not sure how the Suzuki marque would fair. Like the Fiat Panda 100bhp, not sure it has what a Lupo Gti has...

well i have the 1.3 model and its a little flyer mitch was looking a tad green on sunday in it hehe wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

the only thing that really bugs me is lack of sound deading as you can hear every stone to hit the rear inner arch but its easy sortted just have bigger fish to fry at the mo wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

but as new cars come the new swift is a good buy what ever spec

This generation Swift has been tarted up from day one around here; graphics, suspension, wheels, mild arch extensions. I haven't seen a crap looking one yet. I'm wondering if the dealers have finally cottoned on the the money to be made in the aftermarket arena.

Tiff Needles said the Sport was a worthy successor to the Pug 205 GTi. I'd believe him before I believed Clarkson, although there isn't much opportunity for three wheeled action around Rochdale at rush hour.

How much are these, 10k?

£11,500.

I really like the look of it, lots of detail that make you want it. If buying new, as with any other motor you'd be thinking what it would be worth in 3 years...not sure how the Suzuki marque would fair.

To be honest that was my only concern. If I'm still after a small car in three years time I'll definitely take a look. One year old Swifts are going for as little as £5k so hopefully the Sport will depreciate in the same way.

This generation Swift has been tarted up from day one around here; graphics, suspension, wheels, mild arch extensions. I haven't seen a crap looking one yet. I'm wondering if the dealers have finally cottoned on the the money to be made in the aftermarket arena.

You're right, Suzuki dealers have been tarting up their cars for ages. My othwerwise uninspiring '99 Baleno had an aftermarket bodykit, spoiler, alloys and CD player fitted before it left the forecourt.

'This generation Swift has been tarted up from day one around here; graphics, suspension, wheels, mild arch extensions. I haven't seen a crap looking one yet. I'm wondering if the dealers have finally cottoned on the the money to be made in the aftermarket arena.'

That'll be the day - imagine KW V1's as an option on the Lupo at the dealers.

It's odd that dealers in the UK have cakked their pants at the mention of dealer fit modifications. In the States, dealers have had aftermarket sales for years, more recently Honda dealers selling all the DC Sports and Jackson stuff. Just add the cost to your H.P. each month.

I think it was in eCoty wasn't it? Did pretty well considering it was the cheapest and least powerful car there I think. Wasn't even last.

I think it was in eCoty wasn't it?

Yep, I've lent my last few issues to my Dad, one of which being the eCoty one, so I can't quite remember what they said.

Dealer fit modifications could be a MASSIVE market, and indeed, to a certain extent already is, sports suspension options on most BMW/Merc and Audi's, power upgrades for MINI's, Cup chassis packs for the hot Clio's.

Absoultly Love the new Swift and will be my next car... I think it'll have to be the Sport tho!!

After driving an Arosa 1.olitre I'm gagging for more Umf and Power... still love my car tho and don't really want to part sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

looks nice i do like the standard ones aswell they r a good lookin car, and this might sound bad but i really like the ignis sport aswell blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Edited by 2001gti

Absoultly Love the new Swift and will be my next car... I think it'll have to be the Sport tho!!

After driving an Arosa 1.olitre I'm gagging for more Umf and Power... still love my car tho and don't really want to part sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I'm in the same boat as you but will have to spend a lot of time with a Lupo GTI before I make that decision.

looks nice i do like the standard ones aswell they r a good lookin car, and this might sound bad but i really like the ignis sport aswell blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Ignis Sports are nice cars but the build and interior quality is no way near the Swift.

I think the Swift is great, and I think the Sport is even better.

Apart from the un-colour coded part under the front fog lights, that's just wrong. Easily sorted though.

Anyone got pics of nicely modded ones (not max power style IOW).