Lupo sport....

Mould

I was talking to one of my mate about a lupo he owns... which i hope i will be buying and i asked about any upgrades he has installed. cams ,air filter, exhaust, bigger pistons and was a few others but cant remember (im not very good with cars tbh) would this be much faster than a standard 1.4 16v sport?

Oh and another thing... i intend on putting a 2nd air filter on it, having been told it increases acceleration?? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

kenneth

cams ,air filter, exhaust, bigger pistons

Taller pistons would reduce the capacity of the cylinders.

For example, no longer a 1.4, now a 1.1 etc.

Bored cylinders and custom width pistons would increase capacity, but I unsure how much could be removed, as I thought the cylinders were sleeved?

Has the car been remapped?

Oh and another thing... i intend on putting a 2nd air filter on it, having been told it increases acceleration??

Someone lied to you.

An air filter cleans the air.

Nothing more.

Yeah this is the car , i dont know for sure whats been done exactally. all i know is that its fast but all sports are fast aint they ? do bigger pistons not = more torque ? and i thought the air filter thing sounded weird tbh.

Thanks for replies

ken

Not this one tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> , i wil try and get pics for u . it definatley had 135 on the clock neways, Ive heard him talkin bout a 1.0l gearbox in one of his lupos.... he says this will make the gears longer ( i dont have a clue tho...i just nod and say yes biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> ) i will find out for sure ver the weekend.

ken

i thought 2 airfilters would be better as more air would get in...??? isnt that the idea ?

ken

Thats what Halfords would tell you.

No matter if you have 10 air filters, the throttle body (the part that lets the air and fuel into the engine) is still the same size, so can not let any more air in than it normally would.

TBH i wouldnt touch it, if your a new driver and IIFC you are, then insurance will be a killer, plus its going to be too quick for a first car and hopefully you wont end up stuffing it but its a bit quick for a first car. Id stick to something slower like maybe a 1.4 75BHP?

Chris

huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> Eh?

mate he is right to a point, passing air through a filter is bound to cause more air resistance, and so passing it through two is going to cause even greater air resistance and not allow as much air into the engine as having the usual one.

and of course you are right about the throttle body smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> air filters are a waste of time as a performance mod in my opinion. They sound good though! They may give a marginal performance increase if the air is coming from a cold dry source.

Two is an absolute waste of time though

oh and as for your other question with the mods, it depends on the quality of work and what has actually been done to the car.

well the most I could get on my clocks was about 122mph and over 7000rpm in 5th.

so it's certainly not a standard sport gearbox. I have no doubt though that if the gearing allowed mine would get up to 135 on the clocks, which is what around 122-123mph??? if the manual says thry can do 117mph.

I do have a lupo cup 1.4 gti box to go on my car though. but tbh im not sure if it's got a long final drive or standard. if it's the long final drive then it should easily match a gti in top speed and should get there a lot quicker!

Edited by Petrified

well the most I could get on my clocks was about 122mph and over 7000rpm in 5th.

so it's certainly not a standard sport gearbox. I have no doubt though that if the gearing allowed mine would get up to 135 on the clocks, which is what around 122-123mph??? if the manual says thry can do 117mph.

I do have a lupo cup 1.4 gti box to go on my car though. but tbh im not sure if it's got a long final drive or standard. if it's the long final drive then it should easily match a gti in top speed and should get there a lot quicker!

How much the gti box cost ya matey?

Andy

if it's the long final drive then it should easily match a gti in top speed and should get there a lot quicker!

Im not sure it would reach 135mph with a longer final drive mate.

Hope (for my own reasons!) Im proved wrong.

Im not sure it would reach 135mph with a longer final drive mate.

Hope (for my own reasons!) Im proved wrong.

135 on the clocks is like under 125mph in road speed though?

the car certainly has the power to weight ratio to achieve it.

In real life my 51k mile Polo GTI does 130mph on a good day with the wind on my side.

On a bad day it can sometimes struggle to hit 120mph.

But whether its at 130, or at 120mph its no where near the limiter.

if it had two filters, then surely the air would have to pass through the first filter, then the second filter, meaning it'd take a while longer for the air to get into the throttle body...

your effectively using a second filter to restrict the intake!

TBH i wouldnt touch it, if your a new driver and IIFC you are, then insurance will be a killer, plus its going to be too quick for a first car and hopefully you wont end up stuffing it but its a bit quick for a first car. Id stick to something slower like maybe a 1.4 75BHP?

Chris

That is a good idea mate I've only been driving a month and I have got one, its a great little car, had no trouble with it at all and its got more punch than i was expecting a first car to have. 0-20 is very quick (as long as you don't wheel spin it; which can be done incredibly easily) and it pulls and pulls way past 80 mph at 3000 revs easily. Plus, If i drive nice, i can get about 40 miles per gallon out of it. It ain't as fancy as the sport but, especially if you are a new driver, you should definitely consider it!

NOCK

My lupo at 110 on the clocks is 105 on the gps from the satnav. So Shouldnt be too much further off at a higher speed.

True. Could try a supercharger filter they don on ebay. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

if it had two filters, then surely the air would have to pass through the first filter, then the second filter, meaning it'd take a while longer for the air to get into the throttle body...

your effectively using a second filter to restrict the intake!

i take it this is why they have done it on the 1.0 then? as i thought it was odd that it had 2 air filters confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

i take it this is why they have done it on the 1.0 then? as i thought it was odd that it had 2 air filters confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

It was only one engine code that got two air filters on the Lupo 1.0's, I'm not sure how its aranged so couldn't tell you...

If its box after box then presumably so yes, But if its two seperate ones Y'ing into one intake then it wudnt really be restrictive...

Some of the quotes in this thread are funny. All this talk of air filters is making me think I should fit socks to my tb's...then I can have 4 air filters! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />