Re-spray bonnet cost and spray front bumper

g-man85

Basically my car had been victim to a gritter prior to my ownership. But that didn't bother me too much, however the bonnet lacquer is really flaking off.

But how much realistically should i budget for a full bonnet respray and a front bumper spray? coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

£100 for a bonnet and bumper resprayed? I'd say a lot more than that for a decent job. Probably more like £300.

Of course, there will be places that do a good job cheaply, but it's not always easy to find them. Recommendations and trial-and-error are the only real ways to find a good bodyshop.

Thanks guys! Just that I have no idea what a good price was. If i was quoted £100-200 i'd take it! I was looking at around £200 for the bonnet and maybe £100 for the bumper.

I assume reputation is the only way to distinguish a good and bad place?

Also if the lacquer is just peeling off, can the lacquer just be reapplied if the paint underneath is fine?

not really as the edge of the lacquer will need to be flatted out so will flat away the paint.

and trust me for such and esy job of spraying them $300 is goin to be quite a dear place. but you can get just a good job off a cheaper place. but obviously i could be wrong.

where abouts are you from?

Edited by JAM

hey,

laquer flake occurs when a bad job has already been done, it is more common with badly applied water based paints, however if the panel work has not been prepped efficiently or has been left over 24hr between base coat and top coat(laquer) this can also happen.

price should be dependant on colour really. if its a solid you can get away with doing just the bumper and bonnet, if your a met or pearl then your going to have to blend the colour into the wings, this just gives you the best chance of not seeing a slight colour differences.

if like you say the bonnet is flaking, the old laquer will need to be removed, then possibly primed. same with the bumper, if there are stone chips they get primed to then they both look like new,

prices for this would be:

paint & materials £180

labour £25

met/pearl

add £90 for both wings to be blended.

just make sure you sample there work or go of someones reccomendation,

also ask what paint they use and if it has warrenty. we have to supply a life time warrenty with ours

jake

Cheers Jake, all that above is a big help as i was looking to get my lower bumper resprayed as it has a few stone chips etc, its gives me an idea on the price.

Cheers Jake, all that above is a big help as i was looking to get my lower bumper resprayed as it has a few stone chips etc, its gives me an idea on the price.

I agree! Brilliant information! At least I know what to expect now as never had any idea where the costs come from.

Basically my colour is a blue (Doesn't look fancy or anything) and just need the bumper and bonnet done and maybe a few touch ups.

Might get a few quotes. Also silly question, but as the paint is already mixed, would it be worthwhile getting a spoiler done at the same time to save money or would that make no difference?

My front end could do with a respray. Would red be OK to match up? I've seen red cars with paint work under street lights and you can notice that the shades are different.

Red is one of the hardest colours to match.

As for the original question id expect to pay around £250 for quality work

you dont have to be a god sprayer, you have to be a good colour matcher ha ha wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

from an insurance ponit of view though, they would not let you blend a red panel, as it is a solid.

A lot depends on what paint you're using, if its Aquabase the paint materials alone will cost you easily £150 + for materials alone. The two wost colours to match IME are yellow & silver as the laquer adds a certain amount of tint to the finished colour, & I've seen plenty of insurance jobs blended on solid colours because of the problems associated with colour difference - Although again this does vary a lot depending on what paint scheme your using.