The Magic Roundabout

Paul

Look where I went yesterday TheMagicRoundabout.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

1092870-Travel_Picture-Magic_Roundabout.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

500px-Swindon_Magic_Roundabout_eng.png border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Ok, so I went to Swindon, but for some reason I've always wanted to drive the magic roundabout.

I can tick that one off my list now smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Just leaves the Nürburgring to go wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

I was reading about that on Wikipedia (Sadly). The one with the traffic that goes the wrong way around the inside...

blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

And it gets a bit confusing wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

I'd read that the thing to do is to treat each roundabout as a single entity and then progress as normal. It's good advice and I went from Drove Road to the car-park directly opposite, as shown on the third image smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> that looks confusing, i bets theres a few accidents there a day swerve.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":swerve:" border="0" alt="swerve.gif" />

What a bizarre roundabout that is, I remember someone trying to describe it to me but I didnt know what they were on about. Perhaps we should go there for the next North east meet if the weather is bad at Holy Island laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> !

How bloody stupid is that! Surely 1 large roundabout would be safer blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Dunno. I couldn't be bothered to pay attention!

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I walked right into that didn't I. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> that looks confusing, i bets theres a few accidents there a day swerve.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":swerve:" border="0" alt="swerve.gif" />

Suprisingly few (because everyone sh¡ts themselves laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> )

Does Wikipedia say what the point of it is then? Can't be bothered to look. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

It was designed by enginners and was supposed to be easier to navigate ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

What a bizarre roundabout that is, I remember someone trying to describe it to me but I didnt know what they were on about. Perhaps we should go there for the next North east meet if the weather is bad at Holy Island laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> !

How bads your geography! The MR is in Swindon, last time I cheaked thats not the north east laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I think they should take learner drivers there on test day! coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

I've heard they do if you take your test near Swindon....

Very glad mine was miles away in nice easy Trowbridge sweating.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":sweating:" border="0" alt="sweating.gif" />

Edited by lunalupi

It was designed by enginners and was supposed to be easier to navigate ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

I take it they were all sacked later? biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Does Wikipedia say what the point of it is then? Can't be bothered to look. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

According to Wikipedia....

The Magic Roundabout in Swindon, England, was constructed in 1972 and consists of one large roundabout containing five mini-roundabouts. It is located near the County Ground, home of Swindon Town F.C. Its name comes from the popular children's television series, The Magic Roundabout.

It is an innovative system which was constructed after consultation with the British Road Research Laboratory. Traffic flow around the larger, inner roundabout is actually anti-clockwise, whereas traffic flows in the usual clockwise manner around the five mini-roundabouts and the outer loop.

Although the complex comes as a shock to the newcomer it is simple enough to traverse if each mini-roundabout is approached as a separate entity in turn. Local and regular users are proficient at traversing the complex which offers multiple paths between feeder roads. The flow rate of the complex is still highly impressive and is reckoned to be better than a modern junction could offer. Virtually the same overall configuration has been in place for over 30 years.

When the roundabout complex was first opened the mini-roundabouts were not permanently marked out and could be re-configured whilst the layout was fine tuned. A Police Officer was stationed at each mini roundabout during this pilot phase to oversee how drivers coped with the unique arrangement.

Such was the success of the Magic Roundabout that plans were mooted to build a similar complex just a short distance away to replace the traditional Greenbridge roundabout. The plan was not developed.

Whilst The Magic Roundabout occupies an important part of modern Swindon history the site itself has an interesting past. It is built over a section of the old Wilts and Berks canal. A narrow, stone built bridge of 1803 carried the old Saxon way known as Drove Road over the canal half a mile east of the town centre. Its site became covered by Drove Roundabout which was later redeveloped as the Magic Roundabout. A wharf occupied one edge and the area was known as The Marsh. The Wilts and Berks Canal Trust are currently in negotiations with Swindon Council to include plans to restore the canal through the town centre as part of the New Swindon Regeneration Framework. The restoration would utilise the route of the North Wilts Canal and not the main West Vale route that the Magic Roundabout sits over. The North Wilts canal was a separate branch which exited the town northwards through Moredon.

The Magic Roundabout is the crowning glory of Swindon's plethora of roundabouts of all sizes. Swindon is generally regarded by aficionados as the UK capital of roundabouts alongside rivals Basingstoke and Milton Keynes. A calendar is produced each year by The UK Roundabout Appreciation Society depicting the town's finest examples.

The official name of this roundabout used to be County Islands, although hardly anyone other than officials called it by this name. The official name was changed in the late 1990s to match its popular name. It is the subject of a pop song by local band XTC.

T-shirts are produced with a slogan regarding the magic roundabout.

Local people sometimes refer to it as the Tragic Roundabout

I think they should take learner drivers there on test day! coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

Funnily enough, I saw a learner driver on one of the roundabouts. He was looking very pale! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I've heard they do if you take your test near Swindon....

Very glad mine was miles away in nice easy Trowbridge sweating.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":sweating:" border="0" alt="sweating.gif" />

What's the test route in Trowbridge? I live a few minutes from the test centre and there's loads of learner drivers around here.

How bads your geography! The MR is in Swindon, last time I cheaked thats not the north east laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I got an A* in geography tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Largest roundabout in Europe? I need to add that one to my ever-growing list!

-Mounthooly roundabout

-Nürburgring shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

-Lap of the M25

Why dont u do a mpg test whilst doing a lap of the m25, that would be fun

Top Gear stylee you mean? Sounds like a plan wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />