Extended warranties

For those who don't know, my gearbox was terminally mashed.

Apparently I blew a seal (ooer) and all of the oil came out over a few days, making for an unhealthy gearbox.

It all came to a conclusion the night before E38 when I tried to back out of my space at work, and the car wanted to go forwards as well as backwards and started having a fight with itself huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Managed to get it to VW where it was booked in for a service/belt/tensioner/waterpump change anyway, and they did the rest. It's taken a while, but the news came today that I was getting a new box fitted under warranty, *and* interestingly, a new cat, as mine had collapsed.. or something... confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

I'm a bit concerned about that and I'll be looking in to it, but it might have happened when the exhaust dropped about a year ago (I got the bracket welded back up).

This is why I took the van to E38, although I'll consider it next year as it was quite comfortable to sleep in biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Aha.. ahem... well *cough*... you can pick up warranties for £150 if you want - I called them to see what they covered, and gave them a few 'what if' scenarios.

One of those was - 'what would happen if the cam belt tensioner failed'. None of the cheap warranties would cover that - they only covered named parts, e.g. a list of parts that they stated *would* be covered.

The VW warranty listed parts that *would not* be covered, e.g. serviceable parts, frictional materials, bodywork and glass. Everything else would be covered.

The VW warranty cost me £525 for the first year.

Ouch.

But that's cheaper than VW fitting a new gearbox.

I tend to be 'unlucky' when it comes to cars out of warranty... that box had actually been replaced before, and for no good reason (typical slightly notchy 1st gear). I don't think it'd ever been right since replacement.

My previous car (Passat 20V) had over £10K of work done on it over 3 years. That had a good extended warranty. Thank you Mr AA.

Unfortunately the AA no longer offer that warranty. I can't think why.

Think RAC do one as my dad got a 3 year warranty extra when we got our C5. So it was 1 year left with citreon and 3 with the RAC. Was back in 2004 tho

i too was considering an extended warranty as i've had my fair share of claims! but when i heard the price, it put me right off! even being staff made no difference, as they could only offer me a £25 discount! the warranty from my dealership is done by mondial assist, and does seem quite comprehensive. but i decided not to go for it, seeing as i work there, my labour and parts rates are ok on most parts, and i have the option of paying it off monthly if i cannot afford a lump sum.

• 6 months later...

Doesn't time fly. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Well, my car was 3 years old on Monday and the little advert flyer for the extended warranty only arrived this morning, despite the fact the warranty expires tomorrow. Anyway, rang them up and they are sending the docs through asap.