Cat D?

Al

Can someone please explain to me what exactly a Cat D write-off is?

From what I've gathered, it's a cosmetic write-off with structural damage. You can repair a Cat D and reinsure it for the roads with a standard MOT but if it's written off again the insurance company won't pay out it's full value at that point as it's already been paid out for before.

Is this correct?

Also, how does it effect insurance premiums? And has anyone had an experience with cars which had Cat D? Where they harder to sell on etc?

Cheers all!

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Here's a Club Lupo link with the information, courtesy of NickiLupo smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Clicky clicky

My Panda is a category D but I've never had trouble insuring it. If it was a Cat C though, it'd be subject to an independent check (a VIC) before it's MoT'd. That's what I'm sorting out with the Peugeot at the moment.

As well as the Club Lupo info, it might be worth having a look at this:

Category A: SCRAP

Where a vehicle has been destroyed by fire or so badly damaged, destroyed or deformed that it has no commercial salvageable parts, or the vehicle has been involved in a flood over seat level. The vehicle must be decontaminated and then the bodyshell crushed. These vehicles will not appear in any of our auctions.

Category B: BREAKER

Where a vehicle has sustained serious damage, is beyond economical repair and cannot be safely repaired. The vehicle should not be repaired but sold for parts only to authorised breakers / dismantlers. These vehicles can be purchased by authorised breakers / dismantlers at any of our Breaker auctions.

Category C: REPAIRER

A vehicle where the repairs are assessed by the inspecting engineer as, exceeding the pre-accident market value. These vehicles are repairable and can be purchased at any of our Salvage auctions.

Category D: REPAIRER

Where the cost of repairs do not exceed the value of the vehicle but either the insurer or the insured does not want to repair the vehicle. These vehicles are repairable and can be purchased at any of our Salvage auctions.

STOLEN RECOVERED: MINIMAL DAMAGE

Where the insurer has settled the claim with the policyholder and then the stolen vehicle is found and the vehicle has no damage or very little damage in respect of the value of the vehicle. These vehicles can be purchased at any of our Stolen Recovered auctions.

Taken from: http://www.universal-salvage.com/ which is where I bought my Dad's Peugeot 306 from so that I could repair it smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by Paul

Cat D is not shown on the log book, Cat C is stamped on the log book as a damaged car. Neither category means that the car was unfit for return to the road if repaired properly, it just refers to whether the car was economical to repair for the insurance company.

I've seen loads of write offs and even breakers which could really easily have been Category X, unlisted on HPi cars. It all depends on the assessor and what mood he's in on the day smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Hope that helps...

Cat D is not shown on the log book,

Thank christ for that! I was confused about mine, as it's a cat D, but no mention of it anyway, thought it may have been done on the fiddle, but that didn't make sense as the bloke who had it bought another one with the insurance money.

Thanks, I feel better about it now.

In that case, why are Cat-D listed cars a fair bit cheaper than 'normal' ones?

Looking at cars, this pattern is regular across the board. I mean a Cat-D is about £1000 cheaper and has much better spec than a similar age/mileage 'normal' car.

I Got mine Repaired with all genuine parts, Average person couldn't tell it was a write off. There are cars on the road that have been damaged far worse and repaired and not on the HPI register. As said above ,its all about how the assesor feels on that day.

Most of the time, if you buy salvage you get a newer better spec car for at least 2.5k to 3k cheaper. even more if the car is expensive.

I thought this was going to be a thread about Cat Deeley sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

the silver gti i did shows up cat d on the book confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Cat D is more of an insurance thing rather than anything else, it allows them to find yet another excuse to try & fleece you if the car is written off or stolen...... Which is quite interesting as if the car has been repaired by an insurance company (the only way it could become Cat D) the repairs are 'supposed' to bring the car back up to its original state before the accident/theft, so why is it then worth less when they value it for a full pay out?! blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

One way of getting out of this (that insurance companies wont tell you about) is the 'new for old replacement'. This can only be claimed on a car under 6 months old in the event of a non-fault accident if it is damaged. This applies regardless of the amount of damage on the car (if the insurance company repairs - its registered Cat D!), it basically means you can say you want to have a brand new car rather than having yours repaired as regardless of how good the repair is it will not be 1)The original car 2)As new condition 3)Clear on HPI!

To get this through the insurance company you will have to fight for it (hard), but it is your right to claim for it

Nope, by rights most cars on the road should be classed as Cat D as they will have been involved in a little prang or scrape at some point, the only difference is that its only the ones that have gone through an insurance claim that will be registered as Cat D.

Is there any way of finding out your cars category then?

Like an RAC check or DVLA one?

Edited by aberdeen_dj

Cat D's do show up on the log book (well it does on the one my friend bought last week) and can also be found if an HPI check is carried out. But as far as I am aware, it is removed from the HPI after 10 years if the car continues to be taxed etc. (Not necesaarly fact, but what I have been led to believe)

So does the seller of a Cat D car legally have to tell the new owner/potential buyer that it was a Cat D write off?

If you buy the car from a salvage yard ect and repare it then yes you do have to inform the buyer!

However if you buy the car as above then as the next owner you do not have to tell the buyer it is recorded! its down to them to do there homework ie: HPI report!

Nope, by rights most cars on the road should be classed as Cat D as they will have been involved in a little prang or scrape at some point, the only difference is that its only the ones that have gone through an insurance claim that will be registered as Cat D.

Not sure you know what your talking about! no offence but the above is b0llox!

Cat D is a write off! if you have a prang in your car and it is insurance repared this is not a Cat D! its just a repare!

Is there any way of finding out your cars category then?

Like an RAC check or DVLA one?

HPI, AA, or any other data check!

But as far as I am aware, it is removed from the HPI after 10 years if the car continues to be taxed etc. (Not necesaarly fact, but what I have been led to believe)

As far as im aware you can have the CAT D removed if you have a inspection done, but this is going back a few years so this might not be the case anymore!

Edited by dub-love

So if a car has a small car park bump, it is classed as a Cat D? I always though it would have to be more serious than that.

No, only if its gone through the insurance company & a repair has been done through them.

So if a car has a small car park bump, it is classed as a Cat D? I always though it would have to be more serious than that.

CAT D is not a write off in the technical sense of the word, It is a grading to given to repair status of a vehicle, when they believe it may not be worth repairing the vehicle for several reasons, the may be due to cost of parts etc. A n example of this is that a car is given CAT D due to the parts being too expensive to repair in the eyes of the insurance company, or the parts aren't available. The vehicle can still be repaired using patent parts or 2nd hand parts, the car is not written off but is still given the CAT D tag.

(EDIT: I will try to confirm all of these details to clarify as I still have my contacts from when I was working as an insurance claims handler & then actually in an insurance repair garage).

Edited by Max69vk