Gave it a try -

emo_gazz

Gave window tintin a try the other day. Drove me up the bloomin' wall and in the end i failed.

So looks like im gonna fork out lots to have someone else do it for me sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> not happy about it but my attempt was crap. Just wouldnt get the bubble in the corners or bottom to shift.

Just thought id let ya know how much of a b*stard it is if you havent already tried it yourself smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

usually have to wet the glass first with a soapy liqued to let the film slide in smoothly and have a good edge to slide allong and take out and bubbles, takes practice to do it quickly, quite skillfull.

lol thats what i was doin the rears. I did everything by the book and the window tints were perfect and fit snug with a 1 an a half ich over lay to took under the bottom of the glass. Sopay water the lot, just couldnt get the odd bubble to go.

Ill call up some places today and see how much they'll quote me.

EDIT:

haha just called that ACE incar SVS in Donny and he quoted me £100 for the back half and £150 for it fully.

Think ill give halfrauds a visit and try doin it maself again.

Edited by emo_gazz

lol thats what i was doin the rears. I did everything by the book and the window tints were perfect and fit snug with a 1 an a half ich over lay to took under the bottom of the glass. Sopay water the lot, just couldnt get the odd bubble to go.

Ill call up some places today and see how much they'll quote me.

EDIT:

haha just called that ACE incar SVS in Donny and he quoted me £100 for the back half and £150 for it fully.

Think ill give halfrauds a visit and try doin it maself again.

£150 is hardly extortionate, infact it sounds quite reasonable.

It doesnt when i can get the stuff from halfrauds for £16 and i have all the stuff for cuttin and tintin. I have all the templates for the windows cut already, so why pay that when i can do it myself.

Plus its gonna cost me that to have the aerial re fitted a few inch from where it is so the spoiler will fit and removin the dents up there.

It doesnt when i can get the stuff from halfrauds for £16 and i have all the stuff for cuttin and tintin. I have all the templates for the windows cut already, so why pay that when i can do it myself.

Plus its gonna cost me that to have the aerial re fitted a few inch from where it is so the spoiler will fit and removin the dents up there.

but you quite obviously can't do it yourself.

just buy a pair of really dark sun glasses alot cheaper and you can take them on and off in seconds

Before you fit the tint lay it over the outside of the window & gently heat it with a hairdryer, this will shrink the tint to fit the curve of the glass. When you then fit the tint apply plenty of fairy liquid & water to avoid scratching, & always start from the middle of the tint outwards to avoid any excessive stretching.

Dont bother with Halfords tint either, its to thin & can tear easily, get some better/thicker stuff off ebay for the same sort of money.

When doing the rear window (&/if you cant find any tint wide enough) heat up & shrink the tint as described but make sure you have at least 2" of overlap in the centre of the glass. When you fit the tint on the inside make sure you overlap the tint again, & then cut the tint following the line of one of the heating element lines on the glass, remove the excess & gently push the tints together & you should have a perfect join.

When doing front windows, after you have fitted it use a sharp blade & run it along the top of the glass to remove any excess, then dry the top edge out & carefully paint clear nail varnish over the top ede of the tint & glass. Let the varnish dry & wind the windows up, do not use the windows for at least 2 days otherwise you run the risk of pulling the tint down the glass before it has dried 100%. shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Edited by Max69vk

If you are adamant to do it yourself, do not take your door glass out. A professional will not need to.

Only cut enough film to clear the screen printed dots on your rear windows. A light inside the car and cutting the film while on the outside will help.

Although for £150 I'd let the tinter do it, like I did.

http://www.empire-tinting.co.uk/index.htm

Edited by IDGM

So far you've wasted £16 from the first attempt, and lots of time. You're probably going to waste another £16 and even more time - your car is too nice for some botched up tints - do what I did - get it done professionally!

@ Adam K - practise makes perfect mate.

@ Max69vk - cheers for the info, ill give it another try later on in the week.

@ Robert, i cant really afford £100 to have them tinted. Its one or the other.

Spoiler fitted with the aerial moved or tints. Ill hold a poll in another topic.

Edited by emo_gazz

I say do it yourself! You're already past half way and at less than half the price. I have a tip though: if it's just the bubbles that are the only problem, use a hair dryer to heat the film over the bubble. This shrinks the film over the bubble and eventually just compresses the air - vanish!

If you have a decent bird tints are handy Adam K!

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> roflmao.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflmao:" border="0" alt="roflmao.gif" />

but you quite obviously can't do it yourself.

just like you cant weld wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

least he's not giving in and giving it an other go

I attempted mine, but failed miserably aswell. Its like cling film, just attachs itself to everything but the window, and when it does, it crumples and bubbles.

So I got a mate to do mine.

OK, so i bought some more tintin stuff from online and by ek ya can see and feel the difference. Way better colour and thickness.

Only problem is, again CANT F*CKIN FIT THE TW@'s. Really are stressin me out, i tried one window tonight and gave up after 15mins.

Someone come and help me please, i beg of you.