Hmmm...

Dubya

Meshed... or exposed FMIC?

168163217.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

It depends if you mean standard GTI honey cone or not?

If its honey cone, then defiantly with.

If its that horrid chicken mesh, then without wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I personally think it stands out a little too much without the grill.

LOVE IT!! Without defo. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

If it is standard Gti plastic mesh, then definetly with.

If it is that rabbit hutch / chicken wire / must put it on my Corsa type mesh then without it.

Looks very mean in that picture.

Its an intercooler John, its just cooling the intake air smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Sorry, I thought intercoolers did actually get quite hot, after all aren't they cooling the air after compression?

May be not as bad as I thought then, I don't know much about turbos and stuff not having one myself...

Sorry, I thought intercoolers did actually get quite hot, after all aren't they cooling the air after compression?

I could be wrong, but I dont think they do get hot John.

I'm sure someone with one can answer for sure though smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Of course they get hot, an intercooler is just a fancy word for a radiator!

The turbocharger compresses the air, which causes it to heat up (using some physics stuff I can explain if you really want to know). Hot air is less dense than cool air, so by cooling the air, you get more air per cubic inch. So by cooling the air you effectively get a little more compression for free.

In order to cool the air, after it exits the turbocharger it goes through the intercooler, which is a radiator cooled by air passing over it. The hot air from the turbocharger passes through the intercooler, causing some of the heat from the air to be transferred to the fins of the intercooler. This results in the intercooler heating up and the compressed air cooling down.

In order to prevent the intercooler from getting as hot as the air passing through it, and hence having no effect, the intercooler is mounted where it will get air flowing past it - i.e. in the grille. The cool(er) air that flows over the intercooler as the car drives along cools it down.

This is why turbocharged cars typically fair badly on rolling roads, as there is insufficient airflow to keep the intercooler as cool as if it has an 85mph wind blowing through it. This causes the intercooler to heat up to the same temperature as the air leaving the turbocharger, so the intercooler no longer has any significant effect - this is called heat soak.

This is also why some cars use water spray onto the intercooler - in the same way that if you lick the back of your hand and hold it up in the wind, it will feel cool, by spraying the intercooler with water it allows more heat to be transferred from the metal of the radiator to the air flowing past it.

Some cars use a chargecooler instead, which is exactly the same, except that the radiator is cooled by water rather than by air. An intercooler uses ATA cooling (air-to-air, the air inside the radiator is cooled by the air flowing outside the radiator) and a chargecooler uses WTA cooling (water-to-air, the air inside the radiator is cooled by water flowing through/around the radiator).

Depends on the engine and the turbocharger. Temperatures in the region of 80 degrees C or higher would not be unusual after long periods of WOT on any turbocharged car, let alone those using big turbos or high boost levels.

Basically... not hot enough to melt or distort the bumper smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Exposed I/C is open to the elements, but benefits from 1st hand, un-disturbed air passing over it. Stone chips are the biggest killer on something that's so open - so, swings and roundabouts really. For every positive action, there's a negative reaction... huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

If I did cover it, it would be the gti honeycomb grill, not some off the shelf stuff from Halfrauds. Interesting to see how many would go for an exposed I/C though, purely because it'd look better wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Of course they get hot, an intercooler is just a fancy word for a radiator!

The turbocharger compresses the air, which causes it to heat up

the glowing hot exhaust side doesn't help to create cool air either as the heat transfers across through the bolts and casing etc wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" /> not good for the air density sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />