Fags - up 9p

Spirits - freeze

Beer - up 1p

Cider - up but didnt say exactly

Road tax - new upper bands for low fuel consumption cars of £210

new lower band for very fuel efficient cars £0

stamp duty has been put to a higher level

fuel - freeze till september

Tax on cider isnt going up, its being frozen. . . . yay!!

Edited by Dale

Our budget books are being produced at the mo - I'm so glad I don't work for one of those crazy firms of accountants who spend the night after the budget producing documentation for clients!!!

Any word on inheritance tax threshold yet?

4p on a bottle of wine too apparently.

Our budget books are being produced at the mo - I'm so glad I don't work for one of those crazy firms of accountants who spend the night after the budget producing documentation for clients!!!

4p on a bottle of wine too apparently.

Inheritance tax threshold is now at £320k iirc

I've been thinking about something...

If this 'no smaking ban' works and encourages people to stop smoking then what is going to happen to the money that was previously raised from tax on ciggarettes?

Are we going to have to foot the bill through income and road tax?

I suppose a counter argument is that less will need to be spent on the NHS as not so many people are getting lung cancer.

The theory behind it is that NHS spending will be greatly reduced due to a reduction in smoking related illness over time. Obviously though, the government are still going to have to find the extra money elsewhere & in the meantime, although realistically, they're probably not going to lose all that much revenue as people will still be smoking, just having to do it elsewhere.

Dunno. Radio report I was listening to earlier said that 1/3 of smokers in Scotland are expected to quit when the ban comes into force (3 days - yay!).

Thats if the manage to quit though, about half the smokers are expected to attempt quitting.

Planning on bumping off your parents???

Boy am I glad I'm not at work today. It's a nightmare for us on budget day. If the Beeb's coverage is shoddy, I can only apologise for not being there!! Lol

I've been thinking about something...

If this 'no smaking ban' works and encourages people to stop smoking then what is going to happen to the money that was previously raised from tax on ciggarettes?

Are we going to have to foot the bill through income and road tax?

I suppose a counter argument is that less will need to be spent on the NHS as not so many people are getting lung cancer.

Put MORE tax on ciggarettes hopefully biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

its stupid in this country , we pay so called road tax for the upkeep of our roads yet our roads are crap , there covered in pot holes yet rather than fixing the pot holes with the money , no... they spend the money on putting up road signs warning you of the afore mentioned pot holes wtf.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wtf:" border="0" alt="wtf.gif" />

this is the thing that annoys me

we get taxed on savings

we get taxed on pay ( yes i know i am a student)

we get taxed on buying this

we get taxed on the upkeep of things

we get taxed when we die

and where does all this money go ( appart from the bottomless pit also known as the government and the scottish parliment building )

Before anyone starts spouting "I thought the maximum you could be taxed is 40%" rubbish, the statistic Zippy has just posted takes into account the hidden taxes such as VAT etc. Although, if you were to include National Insurance - although not a tax, but treaded the same - the statistic is actually worse.

Road tax - new upper bands for low fuel consumption cars of £210

You mean high-consumption cars, surely. The top 1% of the highest-polluting cars get the £210 tax band. The low consumption cars pay zero.

Inheritance tax rises to £325,000.

Keep piling the duty onto the cigarettes I say. In fact, drop the 4p from beer, 1p from wine, and call the new cigarettes duty 14p.