Cack brakes...

Moos3h

Now maybe I'm just spoiled with the Leon brakes, but my 1.0s 2004 Arosa brakes are dreadful!

Have just had new discs and pads at the front, but they are still spongy as hell and very hard to stop quickly...

The new discs and pads have had about 500 miles to bed in and are performing no better...

Any ideas guys?

Cheers,

James

Have you tried bleeding them?

Do you have the newer style vented discs or the solid ones?

My Lupo vented brakes on my 1.0 were always very good.

I'm not sure coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

Better have a look tomorrow - they were fitted at the Seat dealer I bought the car from...

I just want to make sure that something can hopefully be done about them because the car doesn't feel safe. I only have to touch the brake pedal on the Leon and I'm licking the windscreen (granted, discs all round, but still....)

Every other small car I have driven has better brakes, so I'm sure something's not right with mine...

Cheers,

James

yeah my Arosa 1.0S 2004's brakes are rather pants , hence i am doing a brake upgrade biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

My 1.0S brakes were really rubbish but i have had the discs changed about 400 miles ago and they are a lot better now. As you said they were fitted at the Seat dealer i would take it back and ask them to bleed the brakes.

I had my disks and pads replaced not long ago, and the car went from being spongey to stopping so quickly I nearly hit the windscreen first time i used the new ones!

So I would say get the dealer to bleed the brakes, as there must be something else for you not to notice a difference with the new ones.

you'll be used to a lot more servo assistance on a leon too, they might just feel week but stop the car okay. Tyres play the bigest part in braking, can feel different when they are cold or the road surface is greasy, worth checking tyre wear and pressures too.

Yeah, I know my tyres are cack - does anyone else have the Michelin Energy's on theirs? Truely terrible traction and grip - it corners like it's on rollerskates.

New tyres will be on the way if I don't change the wheels first!

Gonna grab some Falkens - heard good things...

Cheers,

James

To be honest the michelins arent that bad you could have the dunlop sports like me which really are 'fun' and a mate runs falkens and we think theyre pretty pants and no where near as good as the yoks they replaced only reason he had them was they were £10 cheaper and hes a tight git

The arosa brakes are poor unless abused through the lanes me and the mother both have the same cars 1.4i mk2 Seat arosa's mine a 53 hers a 54 and the brakes are pretty poor on both but mine are better as i 'use it' more if you know what i mean wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

one thing i will say though my mums curtesy car this week is a new leon and the brakes on that are touch the pedal and you risk having a headache so theyre miles away from arosa standards on that

one question if you have a leon or have had a leon why the arosa? or is it the wifes car etc?

wayne

• 3 weeks later...

Im sorry but your all wrong.

The worst tyre ever fitted to a stock Lupo is the 13" Continentals.

All I did was go around a off camber round about... hang on, no thats wrong.

I went straight forward.