Fox

DJ

My thoughts, not sure if it is officially out here yet, I haven't seen one on the road and I was past the local delaers the other week and there was no sign of one.

I saw my first of these last Tuesday being used at Schipol and I have to say that there appears to be thousands of the things in Germany already. On my way back to the hotel one night I drove past a VW dealer and spied one parked up in front so I went for a closer look, this is a 1.4 TDi model.

50_DSC01963.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

50_DSC01964.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

I have to say (as Andy said before) in the metal it isn't quite as bad as in the photographs, from the front it looks like a Golf Plus but then I got round to the back and holy mother of god it is awful. It sits about 10 feet of the ground at the back, the boot button is horrible and nasty add on (cheap). You could fit a family of refugees under the wheel arches. The front valance already has space for fog lights in it (despite this model not being fitted with them) which seems to spark at penny pinching again for me.

One of the offices I was at had a silver base model parked up and it dwarfed a Corsa parked next to it, seriously the Fox is at least 1ft higher and this is all in the ride height. Looking inside, again nothing offensive but no imaginative spark and no appearance of quality. To me, this car is like the Ford Fusion, it is just a bland box and I don't think my view on it will change.

My view of the Fox might have been overshaddowed a wee bit since the below was my hire car for the week... Autobahns are fun 50_DSC01952.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

p.s. Sorry for the crap images, it was constantly dark over there.

The back end grows on you, the more and more I see it, it reminds me of the Lupo. I like the rear lights especially.

Strange to see one with alloys, ALL the ones on the road here have steelies, which confirms our my thoughts that car buyers here are tight. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

What engines the Audi got? Not bad little hire car.

Its the 2.0TDi model, not entirely sure on the german spec but it has leather, heated seats, climate control, sat nav, A8 alloys, 6 speed etc...

Power compared to my old mans 1.9 Golf isn't much difference to be honest but the fuel computer was showing 2.9 litres/100km at one point. Mid range pull is impressive for overtaking on the back roads though.

Quite a few German Fox's with alloys as I think they go for all the TDi's. Wheels there are 14" (curiously why do we still give wheel sizes in inches, even on the continent?) and look woefully undersized but I think that is all to do with the rear ride height, sorry it is appauling. I also can't stand that boot handle. It looks like a Mk3 Fiestas.

the modded fox on 17s in readers rides is still so tall it make them look like 15s.

the 2lr Tdi only has 140bhp so not that much more power than your dads golf

Edited by Crusoe

Haven't seen that, must go and have a look to see if it is any better. I didn't have a TG reference guide with me to check the spec but it felt damn solid on the road and I loved the interior, I might be persuaded in a couple of years time.

Hmm hard to tell. Bigger wheels do seem to make a difference as they fill the arches more but the ride height is still too high IMO. Taking off the bump strips also seems to make it look slightly better as well.

I'm still unconvinced.

Just noticed that the bumpers are completely different too and don't have the poverty spec black bits, helps its case slightly.

And missingits side repeaters... how much money has been spent on that???

board.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

i'd still rather stab my eyes out with rusty blunt knitting needles, then rub chilli oil in the holes, than drive that car.

Edited by Adam K

i'd still rather stab my eyes out with rusty blunt knitting needles, then rub chilli oil in the holes, than drive that car.

Just been away looking at that thread. I think the angle he has taken the picture at does a lot to tame the height of the thing (sorry to go on about it but it is very noticable) compared to his original picture:

board2.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" /> When looking at the car first I was surprised that it didn't have the repeaters in the wingmirrors like the Polo (i'd have thought they would have used the same housings to save money). I see Andy has already mentioned the bumper difference. Also, do we know which 1.6 engine this is? The 1.6 FSi or a detuned GTi engine?

Just wondering as if its the 1.6 FSi then it will have the same engine mounts as the 1.4TSi and that might be a Fox I'd be interested in.

The ride height is stratospheric it has to be said, but theres a very sound design reason, most of the curbs here in Europe are massive, and I couldn't park my standard ride height GTi ANYWHERE here.

One of the reasons I've considered the Fox and the Panda is BECAUSE the ride height is higher than say, a Fabia, so I can actually park it on a normal street.

Edited to say: Not bad spec for a hire car that Audi!

Edited by AndyW

Think it comes out over in the UK in the Spring.

No idea about a replacement Seat small car, but looks-wise it already fits into the model line up (the Fox that is) and with some slight modification to the front lights it would fit in with the Leon and Altea very well. I have to say though, I'd imagine the Ibiza would be replaced first.

They have just updated the Ibiza though, so it'll have at least a couple of years left in it. Apparently the exterior has had a significant re-style and all new materials inside. Personally i think it's a case of blink and you'll miss it. I was going to link to German Car Fans/World Car Fans as they have an in-depth article but the site is being really slow.

Edited by Diamondblack

diamond black, thats just the update, theres a totally new ibiza in 07 thats restyled similar to the leon, so they will have a range that all looks the same but in just varying sizes... hehehee

Andy, I agree about kerb sizes for continental kerbs (maybe Barzillian kerbs are the same) but the rear arch size is huge compared to the standard wheels they put on... unless they are making an exclusive tractor tyred version.

IIRC Skoda were meant to make a rebranded version of the Lupo at one time but it never materialised, I'd be very surprised if SEAT didn't make a new Arosa (although would it get called that?). SKODA appear to be making that funky looking Berlingo rival anyway.