Lupo GTI aerial and base

szrdave

Hi chaps,

I need to replace the aerial and base on my GTI (same part as other Lupos?), which would come to the best part of €200 from VW.

Removing the headliner to fit the base is a pain in the arse, and I’d rather not do it twice, so I’m keen to hear if anyone has had a good experience with an aftermarket aerial base? There are plenty online starting from about €20.

Also, the plastic caps over the sun visor clip  (3B0857563B41) are NLA, and I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to break them to get them off. Again, a recommendation for an aftermarket option that works would be great.

Cheers!

Aerial base is part number 1J0 035 501 C, still available from VW but is expensive (£120 in the UK!)

Aerial rod is 1J0 035 849 A, also still available from VW, £38.69 inc vat in the UK

If you do go aftermarket, don't buy cheap, Chinese copies. They are rubbish! They are cheap for a reason! 

4 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

Aerial base is part number 1J0 035 501 C, still available from VW but is expensive (£120 in the UK!)

Aerial rod is 1J0 035 849 A, also still available from VW, £38.69 inc vat in the UK

If you do go aftermarket, don't buy cheap, Chinese copies. They are rubbish! They are cheap for a reason! 

Thanks for including the part numbers, I wasn't sure exactly which was the correct suffix.

Any recommendations for a good quality aftermarket supplier? If not, I'll have to order from VW, the price is definitely salty though!

2 hours ago, Mattymdm said:

Why do you need to replace it?

The threaded section is knackered and spins inside the base it you turn it:

2023-03-20_09-18-49

I was just going to order the base from VW (€44 for an aerial mast is too much to stomach), but I found the link below to an apparently genuine part for €65 plus post:

kfz-premiumteile24 KFZ-Ersatzteile und Fußmatten Shop | Original Antenne mit Antennenstab Dachantenne M6 für Golf 4 Bora Passat Polo Lupo | online kaufen Blitzversand

Will remove mine first though, to check it looks the same.

19 hours ago, Rich said:

Find the cleanest looking one in a scrappy and swap it out.

Beauty is you don't really have to care about the removal in said scrappy.

No scrappy near here unfortunately, and used part prices are strong

On 3/21/2023 at 11:58 AM, szrdave said:

Nope, someone has installed a JVC head unit.

May change it for a standard radio in the future though, or fit a Blaupunkt that looks period enough.

Does it make a difference when finding a replacement aerial base?

Does it have JVC unit have DAB? If it does.. Just an idea to swap it out for a dummy shark fin that come on the MK6 golf or scirocco? 

Most antennas from vdubs of that era fit fine, but the angle can be slightly different. You'll need a separate antenna anyway for DAB.

Remember when fitting an aftermarket hifi, the antenna unit needs power to work. All OEM hifis have a power feed built into their antenna socket. You can buy an aftermarket antenna power injector...

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 7:02 PM, Mattymdm said:

Does it have JVC unit have DAB? If it does.. Just an idea to swap it out for a dummy shark fin that come on the MK6 golf or scirocco? 

No DAB, it's an old school 2000s unit. Not the biggest fan of the shark fin, I'd rather stick with something standard looking