Unintentional Pioneer? difficultys returning to standard

lupo1.0se

After seeing @mk2 comment about people now religously wanting the lupo gti factory stock.

In thinking about this comment i must of been one of the 1st if not the 1st as my one was modified somewhat before i owned it and i put it back to standard back in 2014

Link to my thread

But on this topic. I suspect it will get extremely difficult to do due to a couple reasons. Main reason being unavaliablity of certain parts.

Rear exhaust being a good example of this. 6E0 253 609 B is the part number, i have tried putting this in the heritage system and it does not even recongise the part. I did find 3 part numbers

Walker 71351 - according to there e catelogue its undeliverable by the manufacturer (link -https://web.tecalliance.net/driv/en/parts/cars/part/13/71351/detail?targetId=15147&typeNumber=15147&targetCountry=AT#@brc/brands:Car;targetType:cars/assem:VW%20LUPO%20I%20(6X1%2C%206E1)%201.6%20GTI;targetType:cars;targetId:15147;typeNumber:15147;targetCountry:AT/lnkparts:Exhaust%20System;targetType:cars;assemblyGroupId:100004;targetId:15147;typeNumber:15147;targetCountry:AT;page:0/assignedPartDetail:71351;targetType:cars;brandId:13;articleNo:71351;targetId:15147;typeNumber:15147;targetCountry:AT)

Fonos 616351 - cannot find a website for the brand.

Veneporte VW80482 - similar to the above but more research required

Its all a matter of opinion. 

Yes, parts are now increasing more difficult to source but a good aftermarket option or an improvement on the original wouldn't put me off.

A full stainless exhaust which may have slightly different tips doesn't mean its going to be any louder.

Its 2023 the factory head unit and speakers are not great. So what's the harm in an upgrade?

If you want a completely standard car you ain't going to be using it. When it does need parts you cant source it will become neglected.

Personally its all about future proofing these cars to keep them going and it that means making better than original I'm all for that!

The exhaust i did change on the car when it was 10 years old as it developed a rattle.

I still kept the back box (not the centre section) as a pattern in case i ever had to get a new one made. To be honest if i needed to change the exhause i would go stainless.

The main difficulty i suppose is a silly part. Eg a headlamp washer jet. I know someone is 3d printing them now but for a time it was not avalaible.

I do hope in the future Hertiage do start supplying more remanufactered parts to keep these cars on the road. I did see they are now supplying New Beetle parts now and it seems the same issue with the lupo has occured again. Not all parts have been transferred over.

This is the exact reason after 3 Lupo GTI's, I decided to step away from them. Each time I replaced a GTI with another, parts were becoming more and more difficult to source. I still think they are a special car but I can't see me buying another.

2 hours ago, lupo1.0se said:

The exhaust i did change on the car when it was 10 years old as it developed a rattle.

I still kept the back box (not the centre section) as a pattern in case i ever had to get a new one made. To be honest if i needed to change the exhause i would go stainless.

The main difficulty i suppose is a silly part. Eg a headlamp washer jet. I know someone is 3d printing them now but for a time it was not avalaible.

I do hope in the future Hertiage do start supplying more remanufactered parts to keep these cars on the road. I did see they are now supplying New Beetle parts now and it seems the same issue with the lupo has occured again. Not all parts have been transferred over.

I've kept all my original parts also regardless of condition because if the car goes the parts can remain with it.

Technology moves quickly which should keep some odd parts available like you said if someone is already 3d printing washer jet covers how long before someone starts making 3rd brake lights?

1 hour ago, Grumpy said:

This is the exact reason after 3 Lupo GTI's, I decided to step away from them. Each time I replaced a GTI with another, parts were becoming more and more difficult to source. I still think they are a special car but I can't see me buying another.

I understand you. A number of times over the past few months I've looked at parting ways with mine, however I cant find a worthy replacement and I'm too attached to mine to let it go regardless of what it may need in terms of repair.

I’m lucky enough to be able to walk to work,but we really need bigger premises,I would use as a daily if I really had but don’t envy you that do,I don’t even like getting the car wet.Hopefully as the numbers come down there will be enough parts to keep the rest going,For me rear beam and subframe could be the end game.

This is always an interesting debate... Keep original or keep upgrading and modding, so you can still use it?

It's like when you see a TV show all about someone restoring an old classic car from say the 60's. They add electronic ignition, electric power steering, modern remote locks, a decent bluetooth hifi, etc etc. The thing is, at some point you may as well just buy a more modern car.

Same on really vintage cars, from say 1905- yeah, sure it's easy to upgrade everything to improve the old thing, but is that desirable? You can change a graphite loaded feather that serves as a contact breaker for a modern set of Rhodium points, but then suddenly you lose the authenticity of the original. A halogen light is better than an oil lamp to light up the road ahead. Yeah, the original is crap by today's standards, but the fact that it actually did work ok-ish is testament to the original design. And showing people how the same result was acieved in a very different (ancient and primitive) way is interesting and adds value and character. 

I guess the reason that people upgrade is because it's usually too expensive to buy a brand new car with all the whistles and bells on. Or if you're trying to get different performance, again, buy a more expensive, faster car...? There is no right or wrong. I guess it's personal taste... :)

Hey Alright folks  all good with you all? having read all the previous comments  I am very surprised at the glass half empty mentality. I would have thought the type of person who owed and drove a Lupo or Arosa was glass half full thinker, enjoy them as much as you can while you can,  a groovy little odd motor dying off into history, who cares what colour they are, whether its got rust patches or not?  As long as its owner/driver gets what they need from them, be it a ride back and forth to work, a weekend toy or just the feel good feeling I get when I drive mine into town instead of  the Porsche.  Exhausts, like tyres and many many other parts on them, are consumables - yikes my printer's out off ink it's time to buy yet an other one, it's not the way to think.  I was told at the age of 33 out of the blue I needed both my hips replaced. Sure, it was a shock that took a few minutes to take in and decide that regardless of the 5k cost per side for parts and labour at the time, it would keep me on the road and hopefully improve cornering, spurious parts or not.  I believe in one thing - enjoy them while you can, any way you can.  Another way of looking at it is 'carry on until you are carried off' which is what you are going to do in life anyway.  Off to bed, so it's good night from me.  Sleep well.