Lupo GTI to UP GTI

Grumpy

12 hours ago, mickster said:

I replaced my Goodyears on the front about a month ago with Falken ZE310 Ecoruns, I couldn't be arsed messing with non standard sized tyres and there isn't much choice in 195/40R17. £160 all in and I'm liking them, much better in the wet than the Goodyears despite the lower rating that's for sure. The Goodyears had done 15k miles in 4 years and still had a good amount of tread but the sidewalls were cracked to hell and there were cracks running inside the tread too, very dangerous!

That's a good alternative thanks. It's a difficult one as the Goodyears on my car have plenty of life in them as they are only 18 months old and have done 10K miles. I have just been away in it for a few days and did approximately 400 miles in some pretty awful weather and I didn't have any problems with the Goodyears. Not sure I want to chuck approximately £300-£400 at a new set of tyres yet.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I wanted an Up! Gti in 2018, but couldn't even get a demo at that time down here in the South East.  This was after owning a Move and then a High.  Luckily, I realised that the Lupo Gti is actually a better car in most respects, and found my current car.  It happened that some years previously, I had bought my daughter her first car - a (red) diesel Lupo.  She has retained a very fond memory of that car and has recently 'recreated' the experience by replacing her Touran with a . . . red Up!  BTW, it's now 55 years since I bought my first car - '55 oval Beetle.  Still not sure how I managed to scrape up the £75 I had to pay for that beauty!Img_0977.thumb.jpg.39f3a4df2499e553f48fdbfa6fcdf104.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Not long after the Up range came out I drove my sister in laws car and could make a direct comparison with the various Lupo's and Arosa's I've owned, I can honestly say there was only one thing that was better and that was the brakes, in everything else, comfort, driving, handling etc even down to the very thin seats the Up was inferior 

Edited by The Penguin

1 hour ago, The Penguin said:

Not long after the Up range came out I drove my sister in laws car and could make a direct comparison with the various Lupo's and Arosa's I've owned, I can honestly say there was only one thing that was better and that was the brakes, in everything else, comfort, driving, handling etc even down to the very thin seats the Up was inferior 

Your comparison of an Up to "various Lupo's and Arosa's" is based on driving just one Up?

There's very little difference as far as I can see just one engine in different states of tune, no diesels, not particularly handsome either, though the SEAT version is prettier than the VW and at best the output is pathetic compared to rivals, cheaply made and compared to a Lupo or Arosa, tinny

13 hours ago, The Penguin said:

There's very little difference as far as I can see just one engine in different states of tune, no diesels, not particularly handsome either, though the SEAT version is prettier than the VW and at best the output is pathetic compared to rivals, cheaply made and compared to a Lupo or Arosa, tinny

I take it you aren't a fan lol. I have to say I am quite taken by my Up GTI. Things move on of course but I find it much more enjoyable to drive than my Lupo GTI's.

32 minutes ago, The Penguin said:

I can't see the progress and the better brakes are only due to a bigger servo being fitted  

Try living with one for a while and you might.

I love both cars. I'm on my 2nd Up and technically have 2 Lupo's at the moment too. They both have their weak points, but equally have their strong points too. Both are very easy to live with cars, and even with rose tinted glasses, as a daily, the Up GTI is a better car than the Lupo GTI, mainly due to the improved fuel economy, but it's also an easier car to make faster, due to the turbo. I absolutely love my Lupo and will never part with her, but I have just as much fun in the Up.