TDI engine codes

There are a few different engine codes for these engines varying with the vehicles they were fitted to, has anyone used a Polo TDI engine with the BNV BNM or BMS codes, are they interchangeable? This could be an issue if the Lupo engine ever breaks or for someone with a Polo or a Fabia looking to fit a TDI unit from a Lupo or an Arosa 

They are physically the same but off the top of my head I think some (or all) of them have crank position sensor triggered differently. I have a dead BNV on the bench I will go look at it in a mo.

The AMF appears to be most robust re oil pump / balance shaft chain shenanigans, based on nothing more than my not seeing (as far as i remember) any reports of failure on them and many AMF engines going 200+k mileage but plenty of failures on the later variants. 

• Like 1

A while back I discovered an alternative engine code for the SDI... Standard is AKU. There is another code in my silver SDI. From new. 1.7 diesel. Looks and runs exactly the same as my other SDI. When I find it again I'll post it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sausage said:

Here u go: https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=63759 bottom of page 1

BMS is different crank sensor and oil level sensor.

I have a spare AMF out of Audi A2 if you are in need.

Its to go into a 57 plate Polo, which has a seized engine, I would agree with the comments about the later engines being weaker, I have two 2001 TDI's with huge mileages, whereas this failed engine on the Polo only has 66,000 miles on it.

2 hours ago, weslangdon said:

Its to go into a 57 plate Polo, which has a seized engine, I would agree with the comments about the later engines being weaker, I have two 2001 TDI's with huge mileages, whereas this failed engine on the Polo only has 66,000 miles on it.

So whats the deal there? What's the main differences between these engines? As far as I knew, there are a few design changes, but by and large the same power plant...? It's the main reason I went down the route of SDI instead of 3 pot TDi. Curious.... hmmm.

No idea why the later versions apparently fail more, it might be just a numbers thing with far less AMF being used, but it sure doesnt read that way. Pretty sure there is nothing different about the mechanical parts in question either.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. I have swaped my fabia's 1,4 tdi bms to a BMN i needed to interchange the inlet and exhaust manifolds turbo and oil piping. There is the issue with some studs not being cast on the bmn so I have made a bracket to carry the coolant heat exchanger. And the bms being with PDF this needed to mount aswell. Allso the valve cover. But now the "new" bmn wont start it turns fine. What could be the problem? Is the firering different  on the 2 or the cableing for the injectors? 

Best regards

Sorry I got the code turned around I have installed a BNM 1,4 TDI 3 cyl. in a 2008 Fabia that had a BMS 1,4 TDI and It turns over fine but dos not start up. To my eye the basic engine is the same. the only apparent difference is the BHP output probably due the BMS running with different turbo set up and higher diesel pressure.

The things being directly different is the crankshaft pickup and the flywheel... Maybe it is here the fault is? My focus was on the clutch fitting so for this I changed the flywheel. maybe the pickup is feeling in a different point...

I think I need to take the gearbox of again and fit the distance plate from the BNM and put the old Flywheel back...

Thanks for making me think... 

Best regards

• 3 years later...