vag com for fault code, airbag etc, any try one of these?

agilecanonbal

Hi all, had a rattley horn button/airbag module, mechanic fixed it and broke clock spring contact, ordered a new one from Germany, erased the airbag light, but keeps coming back on after a couple of days, so question is has anybody tried one of these? Any good, do they do what they say on the tin? Bout to order one but need your input first, thanks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220840475960?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAG-Scan-Tool-CAN-BUS-K-Line-COM-OBD-OBD2-for-Jetta-Passat-Beetle-Golf-Touareg-/151039735160?hash=item232aab7578:m:mqMJnhfNcah6alO659rYKGA

3 minutes ago, Sausage said:

That's the one to get.

If it's a clock spring fault, did he definitely centre it properly. The copper strip inside only has a finite amount of distance and a big mistake that some (rubbish) mechanics make is to not centre the clockspring properly.

I wouldn't hold my breath. The cheap handheld ones tend to be generic OBD2 readers with a screen and stuff like airbags are VW specific. They'll tell you engine faults etc but unless they support the manufacturer specific codes, they're pretty much useless beyond that. I'm very sceptical of the first one. It claims to support CAN and K Line which cheap ones don't tend to do. 

The second might work.

Generic OBD scanners are great but I recommend a Bluetooth one. They're easier to use and so cheap. 

VW specific, you need a laptop if you want to be sure. Sorry.

Thanks for the replies, Möbius_UK is that not the same as one of the links I put up? Also what's the CD for? Do I need to down load anything or is everything on the device already? Sausage and skezza, as always thanks for the input, skezza when you say centred it properly, what should I look out for? The mechanic in question who fitted it is a numpty! Is my new one still good and just needs centering or is it buggered also?

10 hours ago, agilecanonbal said:

Thanks for the replies, Möbius_UK is that not the same as one of the links I put up? Also what's the CD for? Do I need to down load anything or is everything on the device already? Sausage and skezza, as always thanks for the input, skezza when you say centred it properly, what should I look out for? The mechanic in question who fitted it is a numpty! Is my new one still good and just needs centering or is it buggered also?

If he's done it wrong, he's potentially ruined it.

Great lol. Well hopefully it isn't ruined, will invest in the code reader and give it a shot, if it doesn't work at least I have a code reader for the future :) still would like to know if its plug and play or if I need to use the CD that comes with it to download the files/programmes? 

Cheers for that link wehey, after looking through reviews on that one, it seems I may have a problem using on my 1.7 SDI! It says in the reviews it doesn't work on diesel cars around the 03/04 era, also wouldn't erase the airbag light on my loop, but thanks for the help. Still going to order the one mobieus_UK put a link to, still would like to know what the CD that comes with it is for before I order it? If anyone can shed any light, as I just want plug and play as I do not have a laptop! Thanks again guys :)

Edited by agilecanonbal

1 hour ago, agilecanonbal said:

Mr skezza, when you say there's other goodies to unlock on the lupo with vcds, like what exactly? Cheers

Quite a lot mate. I can't list them all but it really is worth it. Eg. If you have an sdi, you can fix the sickeningly harsh tickover. I've done a tutorial to show how. 

On 29 January 2016 at 6:29 PM, Sausage said:

I am thinking about buying this.

My laptop doesn't have a CD drive tho.

Is the software available to download online?

I have the same one as Wehey linked above, it works fine and actually I even used it for the exact same purpose as you. Got a new clock spring and used it to remove the airbag error code. I fit the clock spring myself though, is pretty simple to do and I have no real experience working on cars! Sometimes worth having a go to save on labour costs!

42 minutes ago, Skajme said:

I have the same one as Wehey linked above, it works fine and actually I even used it for the exact same purpose as you. Got a new clock spring and used it to remove the airbag error code. I fit the clock spring myself though, is pretty simple to do and I have no real experience working on cars! Sometimes worth having a go to save on labour costs!

It's very easy, but a muppet might spin the clock spring.