Lupo immobilises when turned off for 5 minutes then will start ok

p_gotlupo

Hi.

My Lupo 1.0l starts fine no problem and runs great for 5 miles or 100 miles but as soon as you turn off the engine the immobilisor (i think) kicks in and nothing will happen for about 5 to 10 mins.

When you turn the key all the lights come on but taking the key further to the start position nothing at all happens just silence. Wait 10 mins at it will start fine. Any ideas?

The immobilser should allow the engine to start and run for 1 second before shutting down, yours just doesn't turn over so the problem is Alarm related, the alam when triggered disables the starter which is what your seeing.

Does it happen every time you run the car ?

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

No the crank does not turn at all.

The immobiliser does not allow the engine to run for 1 second nothing happens at all.

Yes it happens everytime I stop and try to re start the car, I usually get out lift the bonnet tweek the battery terminals althought they are already tight, waut a few mins get back in and the car will start as if nothing happens.

If the immobilizer was broken, the car would start, then cut out. Trust me (and Pete who made the initial remark). Your issue is not with the immo.

Could be the starter to be fair.

Check the connections to the starter motor.

It could be the brushes in the starter motor are worn out, tapping it with a hammer might get it to work, but it needs brushes. But it should make a noise when the solenoid fires.

It could be the relay for the starter motor. (does the relay click when turned to start?) Relay can be opened and contacts cleaned, but replacement is best.

if it's automatic then it could be thinking it's in gear or brake needs pressing before allowing starter.

When it works does it sound normal or noisy?

Edited by Sausage

Re the solenoid it either works or doesn't there is no noise at all from any relay when it doesn't

Lupo dont have a relay for starting apparently sorry. So ignition switch would be on the list too.

Forgot: does it have any fault codes?

Edited by Sausage

Thanks.

She didn't go anywhere just stopped and started it.

No faults codes are showing.

The ignition switch would be intermitant not consistant as this seems to be in the circumstances?

So it would seem the consensus is the starter. Is this easy to get out?

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/93796-replacing-the-starter-motor/

Might just be the solenoid sticking, strip and clean might solve it, you can test it off the car.

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/misc-index/starter-motor-bench-test-1

Edit, sorry that's a **** guide btw i just read it LOL

Starter motor good, starter motor bad WTF? how about some better diagnostics than that? Sheesh

But we assume you have checked the wiring on the starter before taking it out yes?

Bench test it, Strip and clean the solenoid and make sure the pinion can move freely in and out.

Edited by Sausage

Or just save yourself the hassle/time and fit a new starter, job done. It's the temperature causing the issue, starter gets hot sat on the side of the engine, turn it off, let it cool, it works again, I'd go into temperature affecting electrical resistance but I don't think that's a real issue here.

• 3 weeks later...