Lupo coilovers

James_andrew

I don't get this. Joms are like £180 brand new. For any car coilovers are at least £400+. If that was the case get second hand ones.

People on here don't get coilovers for handling they just want to "slam it" so it's not like your saving money on good coilovers like Kw's or something. Just man up and pay the £180 and they are brand new with spanners and everything.

I have to agree with both of you, I really wouldn't want to drive a car on 2nd hand suspension, just asking for problems. I've just got some Joms for my gti (not fitted them yet though!) as my AP's are knackered and an MOT failure in waiting. Think I paid £185 inc p&p from DPM Performance, came in 2 days. They will do me until I can afford something better....

I have to agree with both of you, I really wouldn't want to drive a car on 2nd hand suspension, just asking for problems. I've just got some Joms for my gti (not fitted them yet though!) as my AP's are knackered and an MOT failure in waiting. Think I paid £185 inc p&p from DPM Performance, came in 2 days. They will do me until I can afford something better....

Pretty harsh ride though?

I've not fitted them yet so cant comment. Its not my daily anymore so I can handle a harsh ride for the money!

So you're saying after about 3-4 months you should replace your coilovers? Because I can't see the problem in taking 3 month old coilovers off of one car and fitting them to another, or am I missing something?

I'm currently building another car that I'm spending money on so getting this low for an amount that won't rinse me is the priority.

So you're saying after about 3-4 months you should replace your coilovers? Because I can't see the problem in taking 3 month old coilovers off of one car and fitting them to another, or am I missing something?

I'm currently building another car that I'm spending money on so getting this low for an amount that won't rinse me is the priority.

No. We're not saying you should replace your coilovers after 3 or 4 months, but we're saying you cannot guarantee their health. If he's fitted coilies then gone hammering it over humpback bridges for the last 3 months, then it is possible they're already knackered. You don't know how hard they've been driven, or even how low the car was while they were installed. Not only that, fitting coilies requires some knowledge and ability. You can easily ruin the seals on a set of coilies by merely fitting them without proper care. Can you be certain the seller actually knows what he is doing?

Edited by Skezza

Would you fit 2nd hand brake pads? I know I wouldn't. Safety related items should be new

I mean if you're that bothered feel more than welcome to buy me some, I'm more than capable of fitting a set of coilovers considering I've built more than a few multi million pound Ferraris for the race team I work with..

I mean if you're that bothered feel more than welcome to buy me some, I'm more than capable of fitting a set of coilovers considering I've built more than a few multi million pound Ferraris for the race team I work with..

I'm not saying you don't. I'm saying how do you know the previous owner does? You don't know whether they have a shady history and it's not like a mobile phone or radio, where you know if it switches on and works, it'll probably be fine.

At the end of the day, buy cheap. Go for it. It's not our money, but don't be surprised if they go pop in 6 weeks.

Doesn't mean I earn multi millions

Of course I know that. Look believe or not we are trying to help you. Most people with joms lower them go over a bump smash them up and sell them on knowing or without knowing the damage. If you was saying a set of ohlins or £800 coilovers I would say yeah go second hand. The original owner will have probably taken care of them, rather than just slamming it to an inch of it's life.

Now you don't have to take our advice but instead of saying I work for 'rari I know everything. You could say I respect your posts but I will buy second hand anyways. That's cool it's your money at the end of the day.

But really you said you built a multi million pound ferrari. 1. I don't think YOU built it or else you wouldn't be rolling in a 99 lupo. 2. Pics as I think it's interesting. Which ferrari and what does it race in.

It's just a daily that I wouldn't mind running slightly lower than the 60mm springs that are on it now, yes brand new coilies would be ideal but I'd rather save the £80-£90 and spend it on the Hillman Imp I'm currently building, if they go pop I'll let you know and you will all be more than welcome to say "we told you so".

Anyway, I'm an apprentice at Sporting and historic engineers and have been heavily involved with the building of a 512S, a 250 Cali, and more recently a 365 Daytona competition car which will be competing in the tour auto in France. I will get some pictures for you all.

Come on, I'm an apprentice and I work 1 day a week at Mcd's to make up some extra car funds, of course I'm going to roll in something as cheap as a 99 lupo

All this talk of concerns for safety and yet when someone comes online and says, "what size tyres for my 10J rims?", everyone responds with "stick some 195's on for a great stretch, cut a notch out your chassis and remove your helpers and adjusters"

....because blowouts, decreased chassis strength and springs that fall out aren't dangerous at all are they?!

Used coilovers are fine. As long as they don't leak oil, the springs aren't cracked or corroded and the chrome plated piston is not pitted you are good to go.

All this talk of concerns for safety and yet when someone comes online and says, "what size tyres for my 10J rims?", everyone responds with "stick some 195's on for a great stretch, cut a notch out your chassis and remove your helpers and adjusters"

....because blowouts, decreased chassis strength and springs that fall out aren't dangerous at all are they?!

Used coilovers are fine. As long as they don't leak oil, the springs aren't cracked or corroded and the chrome plated piston is not pitted you are good to go.

Everyone? Well, I can only vouch for myself but I NEVER recommend stretched tyres. I've said on a number of occasions, on ClubLupo, that fitting stretched tyres is one of the dumbest things you can do, especially when you're fully aware of the potential hazards if you do so. If you're still dumb enough to go ahead and do it then I hope you can live with the consequences that may occur. I'm pretty sure DBlock and plenty of others on here share that view.

I certainly wouldn't recommend chassis notching either. Why anyone does it is beyond me and I'm very much unconvinced it can be done safely.

I have no real opinion on removing adjusters. I know there's a potential for your spring to come away, but as far as I'm aware not a single person has had this happen, probably because most people use a few cable ties to hold the spring to the cup which should prevent it falling out really. That's not to say it can't happen, or won't, I'm merely pointing out that I'm not aware of it happening yet.

Blowouts are very dangerous, completely agree. A weakened chassis is very dangerous, completely agree. Springs that can fall out are dangerous, yes, so you either don't do it, or you cable tie the spring to the cup which should prevent them falling out. Would I do it myself? Absolutely not, but that's just me.

Used coilovers are fine, if you can be sure that they've not been hammered and unfortunately Cooper, you really can't unless you know the seller personally and can guarantee their honesty. Just because they don't leak oil when you buy them, doesn't mean they're not on deaths door and cracked springs etc are too obvious a defect. Of course you wouldn't buy a set of coilovers with cracked springs or pitted chrome. Give me a knackered old set of coilovers (minus cracked springs and pitted chrome) and some degreaser and cleaning solution and I reckon I could have them looking fairly tidy in half an hour. You wouldn't know whether they were good or not.

Like we've said, except Cooper, feel free to go ahead and buy them. It's your money and we really aren't going to rub it in your face if they pack up in six weeks. Just don't be surprised if they do, that's all I'm saying anyway.

• Like 1

Woah, quite a rant there, I'll keep mine simple, if you believe and follow the advice of every suggestion you read on the internet then you won't last long, just go with common - or not so common sense, it's all about natural selection.

Woah, quite a rant there, I'll keep mine simple, if you believe and follow the advice of every suggestion you read on the internet then you won't last long, just go with common - or not so common sense, it's all about natural selection.

Not a rant Pete, but Cooper was incorrectly generalizing. There's a lot of people on here who specifically don't recommend stretched tyres, and I'm one of them. They're a waste of time, look gash, and are a known safety hazard.

Common sense is, for the money you're going to save (£60-£70 if you're lucky), it really isn't worth it. What's a £60 saving if you've got two blown shocks 6 months down the line? Especially when you can get a set of TA Technix (which are basically the same as JOM's anyway) here, for just £155:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TA-TECHNIX-PREMIUM-COILOVER-EVOGWVW06-VW-LUPO-SEAT-AROSA-/281604985348?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4190f71204

Alternatively, if you're not looking for a big drop, get some lowering springs!

Edited by Skezza

I think we all know I wasn't pointing the finger at 'everyone' when I made that statement, it was merely a figure of speech, because I dare say there are more people 'with' stretched tyres and excessively low coilovers on this site than without.

Surely you can all see where I'm coming from?

Regardless of whether you buy them new or not, if you wind them to the bump stops they're gonna wear prematurely, drive like s**t, bump steer all over the road and will wear out CV joints, bottom arm bushes, ball joints and ARB links like there's no tomorrow.

To the op - do use common sense and give them a quick once over. No harm at all in buying used, because they're crap when they're new anyway, so why not save a few pennies?!

I think we all know I wasn't pointing the finger at 'everyone' when I made that statement, it was merely a figure of speech, because I dare say there are more people 'with' stretched tyres and excessively low coilovers on this site than without.

Regardless of whether you buy them new or not, if you wind them to the bump stops they're gonna wear prematurely, drive like s**t, bump steer all over the road and will wear out CV joints, bottom arm bushes, ball joints and ARB links like there's no tomorrow.

To the op - do use common sense and give them a quick once over. No harm at all in buying used, because they're crap when they're new anyway, so why not save a few pennies?!

All of that statement is true, in-particular the part in bold ;)

• Like 1

It's his money and he can do as he pleases but your not saving money at that price IMO.

It's all about risk to reward. How's he gonna once over them if they are most likely bought over the internet? There is NO harm in buying new so long as he gets ones that are cared for. But with people buying the cheapest for "lows" that could be a challenge.

Also your last post about telling people to stench tyres etc is completely wrong. I'm not a 12 year emo like the rest of the kids on here. You find me one post anyone who has contributed here condoning that?