What to do?!?!? MOT fail, sick of spending out on it!

jodiec

VW Lupo has just failed MOT on front exhaust pipe (something to to with the catalytic converter) and possibly lambda sensor (tbc), suspension bush and some washers plus overheats due to fan being stuck. Quote for all the work- 500 quid-ish.

Basically, I spent 700 on new gearbox and clutch back in April and now this 500 quid, its probably more than the car's worth. So I'm wondering whether to cut my losses and sell it without having the work done. Am sure that a lupo fan who knows a bit a bout mechanics could do the work for lots cheaper than what I've been quoted.

It's only done 91,000 and apart from the clutch/gearbox has never had any major problems but i'm just fed up of spending on it now.

What do people think? And does anyone want to buy it?!

Be worth it mate if after all that work it runs like a dream but you could go to scrap heap and dig out a lupo there and get a fan ? Most of my stuff on my car including two back lights /two wing mirrors /interior mirror / ano there not engine parts but y pay brand new if you can get it for cheaper at a scrap yard ? I also got all door cards and intorier carpet for 30 quid BARGIN haha

If you sell her then you buy into the same market.

Always better the devil you know with cars. Least you know how its been treated, whats been fixed and whether it was done properly.

Someone is always selling a car because there is something wrong with it, hence if you buy another second hand car there will be something wrong with that one too.

I have no idea about cars or parts. I do trust the garage as I've been going there for ages and they've always been pretty good. Just starting to think it's stupid to be spending more than it's worth. On the other hand, if I get it done, I can sell in 6 months (as originally planned) with 6 months mot on it and get a bit more for it I suppose.

What you got to think is this

"can I get another car for the same amount it'll cost me to fix this" If the answer is yes then I'd sell it, but if it's going to cost £500 but a new car will cost £3000k then I'd spend the £500, get an MOT on it, then sell it. Your going to get more for it for a 12 month MOT

Where are you, wish bones are an easy job and cheap ebay parts is £47 with postage.

The fan is not a hard job either.

CAT work will need a ramp to do unless you have a brave mechanic.

Sounds like to much money, unless the CAT is hanging off!

Cheers

Jon

If it was me, and this is just what I think... Once you've shelled out to fix it (500 is a bit much by the way) the car will drive like a dream. Especially now that you've got a new Gearbox and clutch. Can you get a car that provides similar comfort and quality as a Lupo for £500. You won't get much for the Lupo as it is because it's an MOT fail. You're looking in the region of a ****ty 100k mile Citroen Saxo with a K&N induction kit. Fix the Lupo, grit your teeth and you'll have a damn fine car at the end of it.

The devil you know is better than the devil you don't. Once you've replaced those parts you know that they will last for a long time. Get into the habit of inspecting your car regularly every few months. Likeley hood then is that things will fail and you will notice them and replace. Doing more over a longer period of time means when MOT comes you won't have to fork out a lot of money in one go.

Knowing how to do simple jobs yourself always helps. Even if its an hours labour you've saved thats probably about £50 you've saved yourself. Plus next time you know you can do it yourself.

Nothing to say you won't go out and spend money on a new car and it will have its own set of faults which will need repaired. Stick with what you've got.

Could always be worse, my car costs more than that for four new tyres!

• Like 1

Cheers guys, always good advice on here! I've had the big jobs done at the garage- don't have the luxury of knowing any mechanics close by! Hopefully gonna get the paint job and other small jobs done by my sisters boyfriend next time I go and visit her and I'll see what happens from there!