1.0 or 1.4

Owen33

17 next april and looking for a Lupo

And obviously insurance is a big issue

Was just wondering whether anyone knew how much of a difference in cost there is between a 1.0 and a 1.4

Also if anyone knows spec differences between them like top speeds etc? (may make me feel better about a 1.0)

Any info aprietiated and if any one knows of a cheap lupo for sale (crash damaged or not) i may be interested!

Thanks, Owen

go for the 1.0L mate, insurance will sting you for the 1.4, no point spending most likely hundreds of pound to get more speed. save the money on insurance and get it lowered and so on. Best way is just do insurance quotes though

get a 1l it will be so much cheaper than the 1.4 on insurance, and the main point will be is that it is SLOWER so there is less chance of you having a serious accident whilst still learning to drive (once you pass your test the real learning to drive on a road starts)

1.0L is more than enough for your first car, and like you say insurance will be stupid on whatever car you buy so don't make it worse for yourself! Like others have mentioned, get a slow car and make it yours! :) Save the quick stuff for when you have some no claims bonus and a bit more driving experience etc. etc. I don't mean to sound like your mum, promise!

Both do over 70mph , which all that matters , you will probably never have the need or should never even have to top the car out on max mph.

Insurance- ring up and see.

When I took out my first years insurance I compared the difference between a 1.4 and a 1.0L and I was quoted something stupid like £30 more to insure the 1.4 so for me it was a no-brainer and I bought a 1.4 as my first car.

Get some quotes, you might be surprised!

Insurance for me when I was 17, pre-passing test, was £700, named driver, on me 1.4E.

3 years later, £600 fully comp, on me 1.4E.

Try and be a named driver if possible! Makes thing so much cheaper!

Regarding the 1.4 though, there is the uber basic (mine) , E, then the S, then Sport. Isnt there?

It also makes things so much more illegal.

True ^^

When you say "legally this is fine", it is not quite that simple. The point to bear in mind, is that you must be defined on the policy as the main driver. If this is not the case (and you drive the car most of the time), then you are effectively defrauding the insurers and if this info came out after a claim, the policy could be voided, leaving you with a claim to pay for (which could be thousands, especially if somebody was injured or killed), not to mention a conviction for driving without insurance...

thanks for all your help everyone, i thought i got emails when someone replied to me?

Anyways i think i'll go with the 1.0 ! Things will just be alot easierr :)

Anyone happen to know any cheap methods which can get a little more out of one though will be much apreitiated =]

Also was planning on modifying the spare wheel well to fit my brothers old sport exhaust(centre) and bumper, should there be anything else i should know about for fitting?

Again many MANY THANKS to everyone who has helped!!! =D

Also was planning on modifying the spare wheel well to fit my brothers old sport exhaust(centre) and bumper, should there be anything else i should know about for fitting?

That it will bump up your insurance premium if you declare it and may invalidate your insurance if you don't.

Sorry if that's not what you meant, but thought you better be made aware.

Yeah, as NOCK said, any ways of 'getting a little more out of one' and an aftermarket exhaust will make insurance on a 1.0 the same as if not more than insurance would be for the 1.4.

But it's up to you if you tell them or not, most people on here will say that if you can't afford the mods then don't do them and save the pace for when you've got some no claims.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...