BACK END SPAN OUT!!!!

hunid-brake

ok now ive stopped shaking, is this back end business normal? i was coming off the dual carrage onto the slip at about 70-80 and its a fairly sharp left up a slight gradient so prob too fast in wet condition, all of a sudden with no warning or noise im almost horizontal down the road!!!! i then corrected it but obviously the other side swung out and after 7 switches from side to side i managed to regain control. it was surreal, back end goes with no tire roar??? like i was on ice. i have new toyos on the front and dunlops on the back. the thing that bothers me most is that with all the insanely dangerous driving i used to do in my sport i had, not once did the back end come out and that was rockin toyos with standard mega body roll suspension. is it cus its a stiffer ride that the gti goes with little to no warning or these stupidly expensive and seamingly terrible dunlops? im doin 40 everywhere now unless its bone dry!!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm yes maybe, it just bothers me that it did it. i had my sport 2 years and never did it do this, the gti seems to under and over steer in the wet. my sport although it leaned alot could turn on a penny at 40 in the wet but now ive got the gti it doesnt fill me with confidence round corners. still in love but now when i drive in the wet my rusty sheriffs badge is twitchin like a rabbits nose lol oh well

capability of the car probably outweighs the capability of the driver going off your post.

may i predict another gti rip thread, hopefully youll stay safe

ok now ive stopped shaking, is this back end business normal? i was coming off the dual carrage onto the slip at about 70-80 and its a fairly sharp left up a slight gradient so prob too fast in wet condition, all of a sudden with no warning or noise im almost horizontal down the road!!!! i then corrected it but obviously the other side swung out and after 7 switches from side to side i managed to regain control. it was surreal, back end goes with no tire roar??? like i was on ice. i have new toyos on the front and dunlops on the back. the thing that bothers me most is that with all the insanely dangerous driving i used to do in my sport i had, not once did the back end come out and that was rockin toyos with standard mega body roll suspension. is it cus its a stiffer ride that the gti goes with little to no warning or these stupidly expensive and seamingly terrible dunlops? im doin 40 everywhere now unless its bone dry!!!

Fail. Shouldn't take anyone this long to correct a car. The no "tyre roar" you speak of will more than likely be because it's wet, less grip, SLOW DOWN.

you are both probably right, ive only been driving 2 an a half years but have covered 60k in that time with no bumps or crashes an this is my 1st real near miss. my mate was behind in his type r (hes bin drivin 13 years) and he was gobsmacked that i managed to regain control. honestly almost sideways. anyway i was only doing 70 on a slip which is standard reg and ive done it a million times without even a twitch. oh and thanks for the kind RIP prediction. im safe and wasnt even pushing it, thats what unsettled me most. like i SAID.....40 from now on.

Yeah I'm baffled too as I was driving sensibly. If I'd have tonked it round the corner I would understand. It's not as if I had sideways Gs and then it went and slipped, it just went on approach to the corner. Like scotty said tho it was probably me braking at the wrong time or lifting off to sharply. I'm telling you now that I won't be giving my car the chance to do it again. Oh and the backs are already on 2 bar with 2.2 on the front. Weird, thank you for your helpful feed back tho mate, appreciated. This forum seems to be full of cliche faultless drivers who always look down on and chastise others.

Look, coming onto a forum telling people you lost the back end of your gti 7 times and nearly totalled it isnt to clever considering their exclusivity, you were driving beyond your means if this has happened. By your means, i am suggesting you are unable to gauge road conditions and the according speed to safely drive your car.

Any one with common sense wouldn't have been putting this fact up online as it has no real point other than saying you nearly crashed?

capability of the car probably outweighs the capability of the driver going off your post.

may i predict another gti rip thread, hopefully youll stay safe

haha, this guy never fails to make me laugh!

Anyone who buys a gti buys it for a reason, fun! If your down on coils you may have hit a slight undulation, dip or bump in the road causing the car to go a bit as it'll be stiffer.

haha, this guy never fails to make me laugh!

Anyone who buys a gti buys it for a reason, fun! If your down on coils you may have hit a slight undulation, dip or bump in the road causing the car to go a bit as it'll be stiffer.

In a good or bad way?

Tbh you basically said yourself you were going to fast. Theres your answer. Plus you say it was a sharpish corner and wet.

So you've admitted you went to fast in the wet around a sharpish corner and the car span out. Its not rocket science :lol:

You're supposed to match the motorway speed before you join it, so they're 70.

when safe to do so !

I duno if anyone else has mentioned this, But NEW TYRES SHOULD ALWAYS GO ON THE BACK in the case of a FWD car. New tyres on the front and part worn's on the back can cause the front end to grip more than the rear thus causing un-welcome oversteer.

Edited by nfbr

I duno if anyone else has mentioned this, But NEW TYRES SHOULD ALWAYS GO ON THE BACK in the case of a FWD car. New tyres on the front and part worn's on the back can cause the front end to grip more than the rear thus causing un-welcome understeer.

Have you mixed up understeer and oversteer there? Surely new tyres on the front and part worn on the rear would provoke the back end to step out? Unless the suspension was set way too soft and the tyres had sidewalls too/big?

The second can only exist with the thread starters posting such threads.

I dont see what the thread starters are aiming to achieve by telling us ?

A pat on the head and told well done?

Tut tut scotty can't help it can you . . . . . wheres that ban stick when you need it :lol:

Anyways you learn from your own experiences, both driving and posting.

Sam

Edited by sam bignell

To be honest I think alot of you over-react too much to these sort of threads. hes only explaining what happened and it sounds as if hes never had this happen before so hes probably in shock. its something you learn your lesson from i've nearly lost mine a few times now due to sharp braking and i've finally learnt the limits, i never drive it hard in the rain because i know how much it can understeer on the standard suspension. for anyone that doesn't know the back end will snake really bad under harsh braking so just be careful

hope fully you have learnt from your actions and fortunately you didnt write another GTI off so all is good ! :)