Phil J Coilovers

Langley Loop

Hello all,

finished fitting my new Phil J coilovers a couple of weeks ago and the back doesnt seem to drop that much at all. Maybe only somthing ridiculous like 40mm, the front will go flat to floorwithout any problems and loads more travell so i dont quite understand why. has anyone heard of this before?

Also, there are lots of knocking sounds and clunkyness from the springs and they seem to ping alot. is this comon and can it be fixed?

cheeers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the clunking and pinging from the front, make sure when you dropped the car back down on its wheels that the spring is sat properley at the top.

If you went pretty low on the front there may be some slack on the spring, if you just drop it back down when youve finished fitting them then it maybe sat incorrect against the top cup. Ive had that a few times with my old fk coilovers. Jack up and slowly let down making sure its sitting right.

The rears on the philj coils dont go very low, fact. Take out the adjuster blocks so the spring sits in the same way as the standard springs did. Gets a little more out of them but not loads.

I have the same ones on my arosa, was a little dissapointed, not sure if its only 40mm though, heres mine at the back on 16" alloys though.

bloksoot.jpg

They have settled a tad lower like, thats with blocks out....still want another 15-20 mil though.

yea exactly, im running 14's and even if i did take everything out, it wouldnt be sitting in the arches at all :(

yea its at the front but also the back, i think i need to just do what you said and just try jacking it up and down again, slowly

cheers

Same prob as mine bud, didnt get mine off PhilJ but they the same brand TA Technix.

The front sits low but with the fronts right down you can see the back's higher.

As already said try removing the adjuster blocks under the rear springs, gives u a bit more.

Have you only just put them on cus they will settle a bit after a couple of weeks

no they have been on about 2 weeks, was hoping they would settle but they havent,

ill rip out all the adjusters tomorrow and see if that makes a difference,

cheers guys

If you do remove the spring platform from the rear springs, Make sure you re-fit them when it comes to MOT Time otherwise it will be an instant fail due to the springs not seating propperly on the rear axle spring perch.

Anyone know if the PhilJ coilovers go low enough on the rear to pull off a set of 14's?

Ive got 2 sets of wheels lined up, one set are 14's and the other are 13's, i really want the 13's but will only get them if i can go low enough on PhilJ coilovers which i have, just havent fitted them yet

Chris260 has PhilJ's and 14's. I think he still has the adjusters in the back though, to give it some rake. Have a goosey at his Readers Ride thread.

Just had a look and its quite a nice height, would like it a bit lower at the back but im not sure if he has lowered the back fully?

Anyone with PhilJ coilovers run 13's? If so how does it sit on the rear?

I have phil j's and 13's. no pix tho at the minute. sorry

Doesnt sit too bad, rear adjusters out, about an inch gap between tyre and arch, maybe a bit more actually. Will try and get some pix up in next day or two.

I have the adjusters out but the blocks still in just so the spring doesn't fall out. :lol:

Like this

DSC00311_small.jpg

Sits like this

IMG_9727_copy_s.jpg

You'd probably get it a bit lower at the back if you took the block out, i did it when i still had my FK's in and is sat like this at the back on standard wheels.

IMG_8331_copy_small.jpg