Mk2 Arosa 1.4 8v Vs Mk2 Arosa 1.4 16v sport + TDI & other cars

The subtle modder

Well on friday while the car was in the dealers having little bits fixed before waranty runs out i was walking back across the forcort and out the corner off my eye saw an arosa so looked round noticed the rub strips and new it was a sport so anyway when the called me in the afternoon to tell me my car was ready i said "Organise me a testdrive in that arosa sport on your forcourt for when i get there" so i quickly checked mine over and moved it out the way and then we went out in the sport

And i absolutely loved it and im actually thinking of getting one now as daft as it sounds it was what i originally wanted but couldnt find one its got more guts and is more suited to me, the sound was georgeous the looks presonally were crap it reminded me too much of my mums arosa its too blending in style

Seats were good i was impressed maybe not as good as my recaros but more adjustment

Didnt think the handling was much better presonally if any different to be totally honest but the pick up was surprising to me ive driven a few 16v now like my bros corsa sport is like an on and off switch does nothing below 3000 then goes instantle whereas this pulled straight away

boot it in 4th or 5th at 30mph and your going no where whereas mine would wipe the floor with it there as it pulls like a train no what the gear and i did find i had to change down at times ill admit but i still cant get over it

set off from the dealers in mine like i did in the sport and spun the wheels nearly all the way out doh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":doh:" border="0" alt="doh.gif" /> so thats looked good doh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":doh:" border="0" alt="doh.gif" />

it was a 02 reg Arosa sport 16v in silver

wayne

Edited by The subtle modder

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good to see you enjoyed the 16 valver! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> there good fun with wide tyres and stiff suspension wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Im wanting to change mine for a Sport, but the sensible part is saying get something like a TDi polo for the Uni commute. But I reallllly want the sport, not only for the engine but I love the predictable handling and it's still pretty versatile with the seats down...

Argh!! What do I do? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

SPORT SPORT SPORT! ! ! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Id recomend the sport myself i dont know about the fuel ecconomy of one because its not somethingi can check on a test drive laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> but the sound of it and the pull when booting it out the roundabout is amazing although as ive said theres a few parts where my 8v 1.4 would clearly win against the sport

do i or dont i confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> it looks no different, cant get the colour i want (mine), didnt seem to handle much different and i was trying it out round a roundabout trust me the sales man was holding on all the way round roflmao.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflmao:" border="0" alt="roflmao.gif" />

Interior is no better, wheels are no different unless i can find a late phase 2, brakes seemed worse than mine surprise.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":surprise:" border="0" alt="surprise.gif" /> but assuming they need sorting and the fact its sat on forcourt for three weeks but was alot of pedal travel but did have ABS which is a good feature smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> , steering wheel and gearknob were better (leather and gloss black respectively) but still not 'that' sporty , still not got aircon (not an option apparently) , still not got leccy mirrors (expected them) No alarm

still thinking could i make mine behave like a sport? but come to the conclusion of no

Revs easier and doesnt mind doing so?

Sounds georgeous (think i could make mine sound as good)?

thing that swinging it for me at the moment is my insurance now wont allow exhaust or induction kit or any other 'performance realted parts' and i cant get a sensible quote below £2000 with mods allowed (NO no claims) whereas the sport is only £150 extra than mine for me (no claims bonus still) and its quicker, already sounds mint

wayne

sport's drink petrol in my experience, and you have such a rare/nice colour on your car it does seem a shame to change it.

but then a sport is more 'sporty' (funnily enough)

hard decision...

but now your warenty has run out you can make yours give you the exitement you get from the sport and still keep the colour smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

edit- just saw that you cant insure your mods... like i said then, hard desicion

Edited by Arun

I really do want a sport, but my father who will kinda have the last word on it is just saying "we'll see" which means hes not keen on it. He tried the "the 1.4tdi is almost as quick as a sport" line on me and I quickly corrected him laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

The major thing is finding what I want though; ideally a phase 2 with the sport wheels in red or black. Silver would be nice as I have a silver one now and no one would notice the difference until I booted it biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

After my exams are sorted in June will go take a test drive in local stealers if they have one, i'm sure that'll swing it for my dad too...

on my Sport I average about 35mpg (230-ish miles to 30-ish litres), so it's not too bad... that's mix of all types of driving, few long dual carridgeway jaunts, lots of short journey's around town, few late night blasts.... can get near 280 miles to a tank if I'm really carefull, and constant 60mph got me 360 miles to the tank, or 54mpg!

so it's not *that* bad, really

better fuel ecconomy and more performnce you cant really go wrong

To be honest penry my 1.4 8v is alot like the tdi engines these days (comparing against my mates 1.4 HDI 206) in that my power band is 2500 to about 4000 and it gets you there quickly and IS NOT slow imo its the whole sport feeling that makes you think you are its just in mine you have to change up quicker than you would in a sport

And arun i know what you mean going from my special colour to an average colour like silver (No offence meant to anyone) would be a great shame but could i make mine behave like a sport? get it to 4500 revs and you really need to change up it doesnt really like to rev above 4200 which is totally different to sport

wayne

sport doesn't get going till 4000!

I know what you mean, it all depends what you want, really... 8v's will have more torque, but the 16v's more power, but higher up the rev range - you really need to rev a 16v to get it going

which helps in economy, as long as you put up with it being slow, and you don't rev it, it produces very little power, so uses little fuel

I get 42mpg to the gallon on my sport on most tanks (did three attempts and got 42.6 41.9 and 41.3)

I'm happy with mine but always wanting GTI power, and when not revving it hard (its fun on a country road if you do) if you keep it below 3000rpm its very economical smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by Petes 16V Sport

I'd say the sport doesn't really get going untill 5500rpm

but maybe that's just me laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

i hope its just you laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> when i drove it hardest i reved it was 4500 really from what i noticed and it seemed to go just fine wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

and thats what kills my fuel ecconomy really because to get good fuel ecconomy on mine you also have to keep it below 2500-3000 revs which is where the power band is so if i want to use the 1.4 power i brought it for then im gonna use the range of revs needed (upto 3000 usually) but the problem starts when moving along as at 60mph its at 2600 revs and at 70mph on d road and motorways its at 3100 revs so although its great because i dont have to keep changing down as in fifth at 60/70 its in middle of its power range it just pulls along and overtaking's a piece a piss laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

wayne

my sport starts pulling around 3200 rpm with the new exhaust the power range is far wider on it now. shame you dont live close wayne or i could have take you out in mine. 10quid get me between 60-90 miles 60 booting it all the time and changing on the red line virtually, 90 on a 55mph drive up the A3 to see my gf. tbh the only time i notice the 17's are there is wen i try and pull away under 2000 rpm at the lights say 1200 it will say no hold on then go lol little ***** so ive stopped doing that now 1600 rpm she pulls like a train in first providing wheels dont spin that is lol. since the nex clutch cable has been fitted the all round peformance of the car is much improved i think i musta been sticking before it broke. love my sport. new konigs have transformed it. the lower stance and responsive feel mean i am able to chase 1.8 golfs and ive had a few 2.0ltr cars now its the handling that does it i can literally out drive them round bends and roundabouts. and the power to grip is spot on and the "feel" of the car is so responsive and playful. i know exsactly what its doing and where we going. the brembo disks on mine give a possitive pedal response and great braking! they are so quiet aswell and theres no juddering under really heavy braking.

buy a sport wayne you wont regrete it there so fun!

Still cant totally justify it to the sensible side of me confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> but then i cant really justify modding mine to make it like a sport when it would cost more in insurance BUT if i brought a sport i know id want to mod it to improve it further so it all starts again laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

i get an average of 80 miles to tenner of fuel, most ive ever got was 103 miles two weeks after having the car and never got close since, some weeks i get as low as 63 miles to £10 and usually as i say get about 80-85 to £10 or 210 miles to £25 and i drive reasonably wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> , but never even been remotely near limiter (as far as i know) as it gets to 4500 revs and doesnt want to do anymore, once got it to 5000 in second and it was screaming ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> so i chucked it in third and then fourth and cruised along to calm it down coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

And as you say its a pitty we dont live nearer each other would love to see it and hear it biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> You at any shows this year? worryingly though youve had a clutch and also a clutch cable replaced? already on 51 plate car? on the 17's side when i had them hockenheim 17's on with the 215/40 rubber i test drove it across the estate as it rubbed when turning much at all so couldnt go far but i noticed the acceleration was drastically slower which put me off big wheels straight away but maybe the sport does cope with them better due to the different power band so to speak

heres to the car i looked at and drove biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> pretty poor condition wouldnt consider that one if i do have a sport and if someone does have it i hope they hagle hard as its a bit USED

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/CARS_...200615231865718

wayne

Still cant totally justify it to the sensible side of me confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> but then i cant really justify modding mine to make it like a sport when it would cost more in insurance BUT if i brought a sport i know id want to mod it to improve it further so it all starts again laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

i get an average of 80 miles to tenner of fuel, most ive ever got was 103 miles two weeks after having the car and never got close since, some weeks i get as low as 63 miles to £10 and usually as i say get about 80-85 to £10 or 210 miles to £25 and i drive reasonably wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> , but never even been remotely near limiter (as far as i know) as it gets to 4500 revs and doesnt want to do anymore, once got it to 5000 in second and it was screaming ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> so i chucked it in third and then fourth and cruised along to calm it down coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

And as you say its a pitty we dont live nearer each other would love to see it and hear it biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> You at any shows this year? worryingly though youve had a clutch and also a clutch cable replaced? already on 51 plate car? on the 17's side when i had them hockenheim 17's on with the 215/40 rubber i test drove it across the estate as it rubbed when turning much at all so couldnt go far but i noticed the acceleration was drastically slower which put me off big wheels straight away but maybe the sport does cope with them better due to the different power band so to speak

heres to the car i looked at and drove biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> pretty poor condition wouldnt consider that one if i do have a sport and if someone does have it i hope they hagle hard as its a bit USED

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/CARS_...200615231865718

wayne

ive done some fairly basic arch mods and the 205/40/17's are quiet alot smaller than the 215's. my car was owed by a young toe rag before me who obviously trashed it more than i do. the ripspeed door sills say it all really dont they, hence and clutch and cable. oh and the very curbed standard rims! lol i had 17's on my 1.0ltr polo so i could face putting 16's on my arosa that would just be wrong! lol cant afford the rubber for 16's either. that extra power makes all the diffrence wayne wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> and the grip well!! theres ooooooodles of it!

• 3 weeks later...

Well today i some spare time time so while i was near stoke i called into my local dealer Premier stoke as i new they had an arosa tdi in, anyway its a 2001 Y reg in the imperial blue style colour with 32,000 miles on clock and reasonable condition, they wanted £4300 if i remember correctly but had no intention of paying anywhere near that as i clearly told him ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

Anyway put trade plates on it and give me the keys so i was out and about for half an hour laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> at first it was completley dead and it didnt want to drive smooth at all but slowly it started to warm up and i started trying it a bit more, mainly trying the pull at 30 in 4th to which it went no where , was like puitting your foot in a hole, put it in 5th and it nearly stalled so back into 4th and got to say it really didnt like cruising at 30 through the town which seemed odd to me

Then found a really twisty almost mountain steep housing estate so dropped it in second and it pulled like a train all the way up at a steady not silly speed, backed off then back on and it just kept pulling then came back down and onto some flat roads and stopped at a junction and found out just how crap first gear is i found it actually wen better from second and moving along back into 4th and once again it provided no pull pretty much the same in 3rd so into second once it came on boost it was flying long really surprised me and it seemed to get better as the time ticked by (went past dealer twice laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ) comeing along a road thats a bit like a dual carriageway a fiesta started to come up the inside of me as i was coming steady round a corner so booted it and changed up, surprised him laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> and it was surprising to me when it came on boost can see why so many of you like them smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The brakes were softer but worked well, the firestones gripped well in the hot sunny weather and the handling seemed oddly different to mine but cant really describe how confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> , the gear change seemed very porridge like but stiff as it goes in huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> , clutch was lumpy and jerky no matter how you worked with it (thought it may be on its way out but not sure if they are like that?)

overall? its a No ive so far driven the following

2001 Mk2 Arosa 1.4 TDi S When its on boost its great but i felt it was un smooth and any other gear than 2nd or 3rd at a push seemed hopeless round town etc

2002 Mk2 Arosa 1.4 16v sport Great at everything except i found myself changing down a bit

2003 Mk2 Arosa 1.0 S All round great car totally smooth, not that slow really and a fun nippy little car

2001 VW Lupo 1.4 16v (75bhp) Didnt like it at all bot me and my dad thought my mums 1.4 8v arosa is better any day it had no power in any gear really, was smooth but not what expected

My 2003 Mk2 Arosa 1.4 8v S love it (being non biased) No matter what the gear round town etc or cruising along put your foot down and it starts pulling along NON of the above do that in 4th or 5th at 30, once warmed up it moves along swiftly its got a nice whistle at 3000 revs huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> and handles nice but brakes are crap rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> and disapointed that like a tdi you get to 4500 and it stops going anywhere

Mums 2004 Mk2 Arosa 1.4 8v s Different than mine although the same car in reality, both parents have said that mine pulls better, drives smoother and is in generall better than my mums which is just a year later

anybody's welcome to post their oppinion as long as its on topic and usefull, but dont worry it hasnt totally put me off the TDi's

wayne

Itsa shame you cant get your mods insured sensibly as a chipped TDI is a totally different beast to standard, & it totally irons out any of the flat spots in the power curve! Im not too sure if the car you drove had a few problems either, but I found the TDI to have a more positive feeling gearchange & clutch than the petrol models even if the gearbox can actually feel a little 'chunky' at times.

wayne i think you need to drive a few that have been "driven" before you decide... like you say yours pulls better than ur mums which is the same car, this is probably because she gets to 2000 rpm and changes. you probably change at 4000 maybe even 5000 lol but the cars you test drove have probably been sat for ages and driven by little old biddies who let the engines coke up and run like a pile of poo. i think if you drove a few of our cars which are the same as the ones you test drove they would be a whole new ball game! i still think the sports rule the roost tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

btw mine will cruise at 30mph in 5th all day long

It's a completely different car to drive. All the things that you described about your test drive I too experienced when I test drove mine for the first time. You can't floor it in 1st and expect it to respond like a petrol engined car, you need to drop it into 2nd and then it will pull, but there really is a knack to driving a TDi, it is a completely different car Wayne. If you go to a meet where there are guy/gals with remapped TDis, my advise is to go out in one of their cars, you might just like it. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Mark

Max the "chunky" statement on the gear box is how i would describe it now you mention it, and scott i know what you mean about driving 'driven' examples but this Tdi was definately driven hard you could just tell, with the cluctch, gear change, noisy, un smooth typical thrashed etc, the sport i test drove was worn in and as ive said i was impressed,

the tdi test drive was different but as a few of you have agreed i dont think it was one of the best examples to drive but it keeping me in my seat in second still puts a smile on my face biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> but im not put off TDi's in any way really my mates got a 1.4 HDI turbo diesel Pug 206 and that surprises me on how totally smooth it is, pulling off from low speeds in third etc and all round mint fuel ecconomy etc and a few of the ones on here such as your chipped TDi mark (arosaPD) has proved more than enough the potential of the engine is there

Nuttinew - compareing the the arosa 1.4 8v against the 1.0 8v? if im honest i loved the 1.0 i test drove it reminded me of my old cinq it was nippy, smooth and all round a brilliant car, many people criticse/put them down as being slow and rubbish but this is boll*x IMO you buy a 1.0 for a few reasons its the cheapest to insure (not going to beat grp 2) is nippy, cheap to tax etc

Compared to my 1.4 id have the 1.4 any day purely because its only grp 3 insurance and isnt much extra (not even £50 difference for me) tax still cheap (£105) but is totally different mine pulls using stuff all revs as ive said many times before it probably aint that much quicker than my cinq was but i used to rev that to 7000 revs whereas this does everything by 4500 at most smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> i struggled majorly to find one of mine thought to be honest and my mums 54 reg has had a new engine in all ready and crank sensor on top so you may struggle for a decent one

I will say again though the 1.4 8v is a totally different drive to the base lupos 1.4 16v which to both me and dad felt had no where near as much power or generall pull although its listed as having 15bhp more and i drove it considerably harder than i do mine i certainly didnt feel the power but it may have been a bad un so ill leave that one there

On the subject of mine VS mums arosas its an odd one my dad borrowed my mums arosa for one and half weeks and drove it hard (drives cars harder than me) and after that got in mine and instantly just driving it round the block he said "yours is loads smoother and torqueier and pulls better in any gear" also as said mine is different in other ways but yeah confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> its an odd one really

oppinions welcome also this thread may help others choose what cars to test drive/buy

wayne

Generally with VW engines the 8v do have better low end charectoristics, its only once you get past about 3500-4000rpm the benefits of having 16valves will start to show.

Thanks for that smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I know what you mean about the 1.4 8v, been driving a 6n for the last week and it's surprisingly torquey and long geared, feels like how I thought my old 1.6 6n should have! I've got used to it very quickly during the daily slog to work and I'm wondering if when I start using the 1.0 it'll feel gutless in comparison and pi$$ me off.