Cambelt + engine timing

JumbleSales

Hi chaps, just changed a head gasket on a Seat arosa 1999 1.0 4 cylinder. Engine code is AER. I'm now at the stage of putting the cambelt back on, I'm struggling to find the timing marks. Is there one on the camshaft gear and the crank, or is there just one on the crank? Any help and advice is appreciated. Cheers Alex.

• 3 weeks later...

the closest is can get to this is make sure cylinder 1 is at tdc, that should align with a mark down on the crank or be close to it, turn the cam until both valves on cylinder 1 are closed, as you have the head off you should be able to see whats going on, that should get you someare near the timing marks, start looking for any markers and see if anything lines up

not sure if this will help

timingseatarosa.JPG

On 8/31/2016 at 2:17 PM, Skezza said:

You'll need to get the locking tools and get it all done properly. You should have marked before removing the belt.

Certainly on mine there are two indents on the cam sprockets. When these are aligned, set engine to TDC (Curved tooth on bottom pulley in line with one of the marks on engine mounting bracket).... You don't need the locking tools, might help, but ultimately you can lock the cams in position with any hard metallic object, screwdriver etc.... Tbh we did it without locking them and it was fine. 

11 minutes ago, cj1 said:

Certainly on mine there are two indents on the cam sprockets. When these are aligned, set engine to TDC (Curved tooth on bottom pulley in line with one of the marks on engine mounting bracket).... You don't need the locking tools, might help, but ultimately you can lock the cams in position with any hard metallic object, screwdriver etc.... Tbh we did it without locking them and it was fine. 

It's up to you how you lock it, but I think you should lock it. It only needs to fall one tooth out and you'll have a bad time.

Locking them or not depends on the engine tbh, on some they want to kick round because of the camshaft position, others will stay put or near enough. 

At any rate you should always rotate the engine around by hand at least 2 full revolutions after the belt goes back on and double check that your marks line up again before restarting the engine, it's always worth doing this a couple of times as well just to make sure, so no chance of running it with the timing out.

If you have "lost" your timing and need to start again, determine which is cylinder number 1 and make sure it is at TDC (plug out and thin clean rod down the bore feeling top of piston).

4 hours ago, Sausage said:

Locking them or not depends on the engine tbh, on some they want to kick round because of the camshaft position, others will stay put or near enough. 

At any rate you should always rotate the engine around by hand at least 2 full revolutions after the belt goes back on and double check that your marks line up again before restarting the engine, it's always worth doing this a couple of times as well just to make sure, so no chance of running it with the timing out.

If you have "lost" your timing and need to start again, determine which is cylinder number 1 and make sure it is at TDC (plug out and thin clean rod down the bore feeling top of piston).

I thought this was common sense, but my point being if you lose your timing, you've got a load of work left to do.

• 2 months later...
On 09/20/2016 at 5:53 PM, Sausage said:

Naw, i think it's worth losing the timing and starting from scratch at least once in your life for educational purposes. :lol:

Agreed. At least once a year... The EZ 1.6 engines are fun. So many ways to put things in 180 degrees out.