want to fit remote central locking

benters

hi gang, got a 1.4s with normal central locking and want to go to remote C/L, is there a kit i can get or is it a question that a later car (mines a 2000) may have the parts i need ? also if anyone has fitted it any pointers would be great

Its not bad to fit but i don't have electric windows or an alarm so i didnt have to muck aroung trying to wire that stuff in. I just wired it to my hazard lights so that they flash when i lock/unlock the car. The chip's easy to swap...just have to take the original key apart, take the chip out and secure it in the new key with some bluetac or glue. The actual keys are a bit crappy on them though cos the pin that holds them in place starts to loosen a bit and the key wobbles about :(

In my 1.4s i have currently got the rclick kit linked to above here are some instructions i recently gave to another user. I have everything working including total closure

The plugs you need are down in the drivers footwell, behind the bonnet pull. You need to get the bonnet pull off (On the back of the handle, near the top is a 1 inch square, push this in and the pull will spring off)

Remove the screw holding the cover on and pull it off towards the back of the car.

To wire it in you need to use the middle (brown) plug for most wires (+12v, Lock and Unlock) and the blue plug is used for Window Wind Up.

Red wire (+12v) connects to the Thick Blue/yellow wire in the brown plug.

White Wire (Lock) Goes to the Grey/Yellow in the brown plug

White/Black (Unlock) Goes to the Blue/violet in the brown plug

Green (Window roll up) Goes to the Grey/yellow in the blue plug.

Black (earth) use the screw that holds the silver bracket to the kick panel next to the door shut.

Yellow and Yellow/Black - Ground both of these

This leaves you with the 2x brown wires for the indicators, which go to the white/black and green/black wires in the steering column

If you look up under the dash, under where the fuse box is you'll see a white frame that holds a few connectors and relays. My little box fitted up the back of this pretty well i just used the sticky pad to get it up there. Dont forget to put the fuse somewhere you can get to later in case anything goes wrong.

As for the key my local timpsons cut copies of mine for a tenner but i had to explain i just wanted the keys copied. Then you have to split your key and remove the little black immobilizer chip and transplant it into your flip key. Without that chip the car wont start

Chris

:-)

Hi yeah i fitted the kit about a year ago and have had to replace the key once but its just a case of swapping everything over again. I chose to swap the controller chip too so i didnt have to recode it. If you remeber to close the key all the time its not too bad and you can get replacement keys from rclick.

It really is easy to fit just need the kit and a ring terminal for the grounds.

Edited by madmanncfc

thanks madmanncfc. with use this as a back up guide when i fit mine in the next week or so, i dont know how popular these sets are, but i think this should be considered for the 'information and how to guide' section.

thanks to all on this, sounds straight forward enough. . . .i will probably make it difficult somehow ! great advice though appreciate it

One tip

Always keep your key outside the car when your working on it. That way if you've messed it up you can still use the key to get in. The logos arent the best but you can use the official vw ones if your handy with a craft knife as they need trimming slightly to fit the recess.

Ive used the one they gave me as its not that bad and i rarely look at it.

i went to a key cutters today, just to ask about getting a key cut, and they said £40ish including the transponder thing, or £9 without.

is swapping the transponder hard to do yourself ? i cant see it being difficult at all :S

hopefully my kit will be here tuesday :D!

The transponder comes out the key quite easily...just need a flat headed screw driver to wedge it out. Check around for prices mate cos i took mine to timpsons in a tesco store and he said he would do it for free cos it didnt need any coding =]

Edited by peterfearn