Help with G60 brakes.

heartagram

Right, my discs and pads were a bit worn out so I thought I might as well up my brakes to G60 ones. Had a set of carriers so that was okay.

Bought the discs and pads, but the ABS sensor was ****ed to so bought one of those. Thought I'd wait till it arrive before I did anything. So cracked on with it today, ABS sensor is wrong. So pissed off about that as it is. But thought well I might as well put the brakes on now.

Discs went on fine, carriers went on fine, pads went on fine, was looking good. Then went to put the caliper back on and it wouldn't fit. Seems like something is to wide.

I'm using Mintex Pads for a Lupo GTI and the discs are Golf G60 ones.

This is the first time I've fiddled about with brakes so if theres anything that I am likely to have missed please let me know. I don't really wanna use my old discs and pads for much longer cause they are crap and need replacing.

Image122.jpg

Image123.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean the over all width including the metal part or just the pad itself (the bit that makes contact with the disc).

Cause the pad bit is roughly 15mm and the over all size is roughly 19mm!

I think its just the pad bit, so yours seem right then if they're 15ish. They just look quite thick thats all.

Edited by vworks41

A mate of mine did the g60 upgrade on his polo gti and it worked fine without a caliper change, probly just been sent the wrong pads. Sticking with 15's from now on then? :)

Kam, I'm pretty certain you need GTI calipers for this to work, unless the sport calipers are the same as the GTi ones. Mario had managed to fit his G60s using GTI calipers without a problem.

Sorry to be off topic but what parts do I need to do this upgrade? Assuming new pads and disks, is it just the carriers that I need? What do the carriers do?

Thanks

I thought the GTi calipers and the sport calipers were different, thats why your having the problem.

Looming in etka, The GTi is 256x25mm and the sport looks to be 256x20mm or 239x18mm, assuming the calipers are different to suit the 5mm or the 7mm difference in disc thickness thats why you cant get the sport calipers to fit the G60 discs.

Whats your sport's engine code? Ive just checked on elsa and this is what its saying for the AFK, AQQ engine, And the AUB engine:

Brake disc, ventilated

• â—† Ventilated brake disc:239.00 mm ø
  • â—† Brake disc thickness: 18 mm
  • â—† Wear limit: 16 mm
  • â—† When worn always renew both sides.
  • â—† Never remove brake discs from hub by force. If necessary use penetrating fluid, otherwise brake discs can be damage

Might need to get yourself some GTi calipers.

John

Agrre with mat having both a sport and gti the front calipers are different looking they must be thinner on the sport

Edited by Bikerz

Going down to my mates unit and were just going to shave a bit of meat of the pads.

My pads are at there end so don't really have time to buy some GTI calipers. Maybe next time round!

Hmmm,

I'm not sure then. Maybe I should just get some sport pads. That way they will be a bit thinner. If I have to take 7mm off the gti pads then thats nearly half of the pad as there 15mm thick!

This is really gay. I've opened everything so I can't exactly take it back and swap it for stuff I need.

ANNOYING!!!

Theres a GTi in braking in london, And there was an offer on here by someone (jeyesh) if anyone wanted parts, to tell him and he would go and get them. Ask him to get and post?.... Theres your GTi calipers.

Other than that, you cant realyl do it withough them.... just wait a bit and dont gash it up.

John

Cool, I'll have to drop him a PM.

Does anyone have the part number for the calipers? Someone told me they are the same as mk2 GTI ones but I'm not sure. I know they are both 256mm setups but I'm a bit skeptical about them being the same.

kam veedubs have a polo gti in at the moment i dont think its been touched apart from the steering wheel which i got same calipers bobs your uncle

kam veedubs have a polo gti in at the moment i dont think its been touched apart from the steering wheel which i got same calipers bobs your uncle

Does it have leather?

I'll give them a ring and see how much they want.

Edit - They won't sell just the calipers. Want to sell the whole lot as a conversion.

Edited by heartagram